Doctordien
just joined
Topic Author

PPTP connection, can't ping anything mikrotik

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:42 pm

PPTP connection, can't ping anything mikrotik

VPN server IP: 172.16.10.1
Client IP given: 172.16.10.250-254

I can connect fine to the VPN through a public IP and ping and access the mikrotik that is acting as the PPTP server, as well as anything on the same subnet that isn't a mikrotik. For example, we have multiple Alvarion access points that I can ping and access through SNMP, but the mikrotik access points are inaccessible, as are the mikrotiks we use for backhaul. VPN is running 4.3, and I upgraded the MT access points to 4.5 while testing, as well as removed the firewall filter rules that were set to only allow access by certain IPs (address list already included the IPs assigned by the vpn server as well as the vpn ip itself) to no avail.

When on the network, using the same IP even, I can access everything fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: PPTP connection, can't ping anything mikrotik

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 pm

I doubt if anyone will be able to assist without seeing the configs and LAN/WAN IP Diagram

jogyemanuel
just joined

Re: PPTP connection, can't ping anything mikrotik

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello, I have the following doubt, regarding the connections that I visualize in the tracking, after starting and ending a VPN connection with PPTP.
I have implemented a PPTP Server in my rb3011, RouterOS v.6.42.1.
The event is as follows, I connect from internet by a windows10 pc, with the respective credentials, in a successful way, after I close the session from the pc windows10, I visualize in the tracking of my rb, that the input associated with that connection and that it has the grep protocol (47tcp) remains active. I delete it from the tracking and it reappears.
I have verified on the active connections in the PPP section and there is no active connection. Note that for every time I initiate a PPTP session and close it from my Windows10 PC, it is added and remain as a new entry in the tracking, even when I close the VPN session.
This is normal to happen ?.
I will be very grateful if you can help me avoid having these connections orphaned in my tracking.
A hug. Greetings.