Community discussions

MikroTik App

kfc173
just joined
Topic Author

Disable DHCP on LTE ?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 am

Hello,

since upgrading to current 6.42, my LTE now has dhcp-client enabled. My lte interface configuration is actually static as I use an USB wireless AP (detected as lte) and the USB device default route is aimed as my mikrotik so a dynamic IP is not really practical . How can I disable this new default ?
'set disabled=yes' fails because the dhcp-client entry is dynamic. I can remove it but it comes back automatically after reset/reboot :/

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Disable DHCP on LTE ?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:35 am

Hello,

since upgrading to current 6.42, my LTE now has dhcp-client enabled. My lte interface configuration is actually static as I use an USB wireless AP (detected as lte) and the USB device default route is aimed as my mikrotik so a dynamic IP is not really practical . How can I disable this new default ?
'set disabled=yes' fails because the dhcp-client entry is dynamic. I can remove it but it comes back automatically after reset/reboot :/
Same issue here. Causing issues for me too.
I can work around it by ensuring that DHCP is turned off on the LTE/USB device, but it is not ideal. It would be better if RouterOS did not create a dynamic DHCP Client on the LTE interface

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 am

Hello,

Looks like this was introduced in 6.41

*) lte - automatically add "/ip dhcp-client" configuration on interface;
*) lte - changed default values to "add-default-route=yes", "use-peer-dns=yes" and "default-route-distance=2";

It would be nice to be able to disable this behavior, or have some control over the options (e.g. to be able to set default route distance to 99,and disable the use-peer-dns)

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 am

configure the APN Profile in the LTE menu to not to add Default route and DNS.

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks. That solves the route and DNS issue.

Any way to completely stop it dynamically creating a DHCP Client ?

ivanfm

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 pm

I also want to disable this automatic DHCP client.

I want my mikrotik in a fixed IP address to use the DMZ service on LTE modem.

The modem does not have option to specify fixed addresses neither has options to reduce the dhcp range.

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 am

I have one device where this does not work. No matter what I configure in the default APN profile it still allocates a default route with distance 2

This really need this to be an opt-in option, not a default that you can't disable.

A lot of the joy of working with Mikrotik routers is that they do not do things for you, you need to configure it if you want it. This goes against that principal.

Andrew

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 am

While attempting to get my wireless router working (a Netgear WPN824 v3), I managed to turn the DHCP off.
Your post has absolutely nothing to do with this topic, and really nothing to do with Mikrotik. You would be better off posting somewhere else.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with this topic, and really nothing to do with Mikrotik. You would be better off posting somewhere else.
I think the only important point of his post is the signature. He likely doesn't even know what the body of the post means, but it is the right text pattern for a forum related to routers. For a forum related to gardening, there is another pattern and the same signature :-)

Vargas
just joined

Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am

With USB LTE sticks the LTE interface is created dinamically. Trying to associate an APN profile doesn't work, as the setting is refused (when clicking on Apply the profile is deselected).

This means that after each reboot the default root is diverted through the LTE interface, thus requiring manual intervention (it is the same for DNS).

On 6.46.7 is there a way to completely disable the DHCP Client, without removing the DHCP package (which also contains the DHCP server and relay services), or at least to disable the automatic addition for LTE interfaces, or is the downgrade to 6.40 mandatory?

Thank you and best regards,
AV

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:37 pm

Vargas
On 6.46.7 is there a way to completely disable the DHCP Client
Not fight but modify ! :)
Learn about Routing Filter for DHCP Client +#19

yastt
just joined

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm

I had the same problem. I solved it by manually adding a second IP address to the LTE interface on Mikrotik. Then I entered this address as DMZ on the LTE modem.