Community discussions

MikroTik App

JTWEH
just joined
Topic Author

Upgrade Issue

Tue May 01, 2018 2:02 pm

I upgraded RB433AH from v5.26 to v6.41.1, after the upgrade the RouterBoard kept rebooting. This also happened to SXT 5nD r2, I would like to know if there is any problem causing this and how it can be resolved? I will appreciate anyone help.

Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Upgrade Issue

Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 pm

It is quite a big version jump. I would have updated to an early release 6 first, then maybe to 6.29 or so and then to 6.41.
For now, just netinstall the device. When it is a complicated config, try "keep configuration". When not, configure it again from the defaults.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 pm

It is quite a big version jump. I would have updated to an early release 6 first, then maybe to 6.29 or so and then to 6.41.
For now, just netinstall the device. When it is a complicated config, try "keep configuration". When not, configure it again from the defaults.
totally agree

i will add when you make that jumps allways get routerboot upgraded as well

on 5.26 be sure you have upgraded the routerboot that comes with that version

as 5.26 dates from 2013-Sep-04 15:01 i suggest 6.x version of that similar date like 6.7 and reboot

then

upgrade routerboot and reboot

then

upgradte to 6.29, reboot and upgrade routerboot and reboot

then

upgrade to 6.40.8, reboot and upgrade routerboot and reboot

then upgrade to 6.42.1 reboot and upgrade routerboot and reboot

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Yes that would be a safe procedure to update it in-place.
Now that it already has been "destroyed" you can netinstall it immediately to 6.42.1 and indeed upgrade routerboot as well.
The above procedure should be followed when you have other devices with such old software you want to update.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 02, 2018 1:58 am

Now that it already has been "destroyed" you can netinstall it immediately to 6.42.1 and indeed upgrade routerboot as well.
The above procedure should be followed when you have other devices with such old software you want to update.

are you sure about upgrading directly to 6.42.1 whit such old routerboot in place??

jspool

Wed May 02, 2018 2:19 am

are you sure about upgrading directly to 6.42.1 whit such old routerboot in place??
It doesn't matter when you are using Netinstall.

Netinstall process is not in any way affected by the RouterOS version installed on the router. Netinstall must work if it is properly configured, computer is not blocking it and up-to-date Netinstall version is used for each and every RouterBOARD as long as proper RouterBOOT is installed on the device.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 02, 2018 4:01 am

It doesn't matter when you are using Netinstall.

Netinstall process is not in any way affected by the RouterOS version installed on the router. Netinstall must work if it is properly configured, computer is not blocking it and up-to-date Netinstall version is used for each and every RouterBOARD as long as proper RouterBOOT is installed on the device.
i refer to latest ROuteros working on very old routerboot