MikroTik App

mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

safe-mode : how does it work? maybe some suggestion

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:14 pm

hello John,

we haven't had luck with safe mode invoked by ctrl-x on remote console. We were logged in on remote end of wireless connection and despite of using ctrl-x in ssh session, we locked us out when we changed the wireless config (freq. change with band change) and we had to 'truck roll', drive to the other destionation and do everything manually.

Q: how does the safe-mode exactly work? there was nothing like tcp/ip timeout, 9minute time-out nor anything - simply we were out of game.

Suggestion : wouldn't it be nice feature to implement ctrl-y or some kind of 'another' safe-mode setting, when the last change done from local console or remotely will be AUTOMATICALLY undone in 30seconds or 1 minute if it is not confirmed? Like in windows, when you change resolution / frequency : if you don't confirm the new setting in 15 seconds, it is taken back.

thnx, mp3turbo.

tully
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:28 pm

The 30 second confirm idea is good, actually, when you go out of safe mode, then it actually does not. We will have to test the safe mode again, if you can send a supout, maybe we can see what happenned. You can also look at the logs.

John

mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:50 pm

hello john,

I can't send supout file, because we needed to solve the situation immediately and it happened 3 weeks ago. We just drove to the other end and changed parameters with notebook / ethernet, but this would be very handy feature. If you can implement "second" type of safe mode (timed as I proposed with settable timeout for whatever seconds the customer will like, default 60 seconds or so), it would be very fine.

You know, when you bridge interfaces, change firewall rules etc, etc, you can cut yourself off and it could be soooo easy to correct :) it is always better to have 2 minute outage than two hours, because there is traffic jam in the city...

thnx, mp3turbo.

tully
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Safe mode works fine for me (I am using v2.8.11). It is easy to test, just telnet and hit cntrl-x for safe mode and disable the Ethernet interface. In 10 seconds, you can telnet again.

Maybe you made some loop that locked up the router and then safe mode couldn't work because the router was too busy.

John

mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:28 pm

John,

that's what I was aking for :) We tried 2.7.something, probably 20. We changed AP band from 5ghz to 5ghz-turbo and freq from 5200 to 5210 in one command like "set 0 band=5ghz-turbo freq=5210". After that, just dark :) We were not able to connect with new settings nor old ones.

OK, I'll test this in future with new, 2.8 versions. For now, please close this thread.

Thank you, mp3turbo.