Community discussions

MikroTik App

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Dynamic DNS inside a LAN

Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Hello!
I am trying to setup my router to be accessed from the internet (router remote management).
The final goal would be to reach some devices inside my home LAN from the internet. I have already done this many times before but this time is different. I'll explain why.
The fact is that now I am living in the college dormitory and the internet access of each room is through a shared router to which I have no access (nor can I get).
Everything that I have tried until now has failed. The following pictures illustrate my configuration. I don't have access to the Dorm Router and it is protected by a non-default password.
  • Router: Mikrotik hAP ac2
  • RouterOS 6.42.2
  • Dynamic DNS provider: Duck DNS
Thank you
Giorgio
Last edited by LastStarDust on Wed May 23, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dynamic DNS inside a LAN

Tue May 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi, I think that you'll need access to that Dorm router, if that's the one who has the public IP, then you'll need to do some port-forwarding to your own Mikrotik.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Not necessarily access to that router, but at least one port forwarded to internal router would be required for connections from outside. Ask the admin if that would be possible (it's one time configuration change). If not, then the only other way is to tunnel ports through some external server, but it's again a problem, where to get one.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Does the dorm router has uPNP enabled?

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 22, 2018 5:10 pm

mmm yes you're right.. also I found a different way, but you'll need a L2TP or PPTP server on the other side.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Thank you for all the answers and hints!
Hi, I think that you'll need access to that Dorm router, if that's the one who has the public IP, then you'll need to do some port-forwarding to your own Mikrotik.
I live in Japan and here they have very strict (bordering on paranoic) security policies. So every modification (however small) to the dorm router is not an option.
I don't know. Is there a way to know it without directly accessing the router?
mmm yes you're right.. also I found a different way, but you'll need a L2TP or PPTP server on the other side.
I don't know precisely what a L2TP or PPTP server is, but I am pretty sure that I don't own one. Is there some service like that being offered on the internet?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm

I don't know. Is there a way to know it without directly accessing the router?
One simple way is to run a torrent. If I'm not mistaken, uTorrent uses uPNP. Check the manual.

If it uses, then You will see it's connection status as green, and people will be able to download from You. To avoid legal problems don't use movie torrents. Linux Distros are great for this.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 3:21 pm

One simple way is to run a torrent. If I'm not mistaken, uTorrent uses uPNP. Check the manual.
If it uses, then You will see it's connection status as green, and people will be able to download from You. To avoid legal problems don't use movie torrents. Linux Distros are great for this.
I have connected my laptop directly to dorm router and I have issued the following command in the shell (my OS is Ubuntu):
$ upnpc -l
upnpc : miniupnpc library test client. (c) 2005-2014 Thomas Bernard
Go to http://miniupnp.free.fr/ or http://miniupnp.tuxfamily.org/
for more information.
No IGD UPnP Device found on the network!
If I test the same command on my mikrotik router (where I have enabled UPnP the result is positive).
Moreover, to download torrents I use Transmission that also uses uPnP. If I set the Transmission port on 8291 and test that port, the test fails (the port is closed).
So I would say that the dorm router has uPnP disabled. If you know a better way to test this, please let me know.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm

You tested it all right. It doesn't have it.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 7:00 pm

@sri2007
Could you please explain what kind of setup/service I would need?

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi, I think that you’ll need an external server with a Public IP address on it, but it’s probable that this dorm router block any VPN packet. So can you test if this works:

http://www.superfreevpn.com

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 pm

I'd guess that blocking VPN is unlikely, but even if there was some, there's always a way how to get around it. Without using anything fancy, SSTP or OpenVPN on port 443 (standard https) should be doable almost always.

@LastStarDust: You need public IP address somewhere. You connect to server from your router using VPN client (it's outgoing connection like any other, so it will most likely work) and then you can forward some port(s) to you via the established tunnel. You can e.g. buy VPS and configure it yourself, ask a more lucky friend who has public address at home (if they have well-enough configurable router/server), or there's probably even some dedicated service for this (but I don't know any).

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 4:40 am

Hi, I think that you’ll need an external server with a Public IP address on it, but it’s probable that this dorm router block any VPN packet. So can you test if this works:

http://www.superfreevpn.com
I'd guess that blocking VPN is unlikely, but even if there was some, there's always a way how to get around it. Without using anything fancy, SSTP or OpenVPN on port 443 (standard https) should be doable almost always.

@LastStarDust: You need public IP address somewhere. You connect to server from your router using VPN client (it's outgoing connection like any other, so it will most likely work) and then you can forward some port(s) to you via the established tunnel. You can e.g. buy VPS and configure it yourself, ask a more lucky friend who has public address at home (if they have well-enough configurable router/server), or there's probably even some dedicated service for this (but I don't know any).

Hello! I do have a 3 years subscription with NordVPN and it is working flawlessly.
I have a Raspberry Pi 3 that is constantly connected to a NordVPN server.
Anyway I know that NordVPN doesn't allow port forwarding. Is this a problem?
As far as I know I don't have any friend with a server (however small) at home.
If I understood you correctly, from the internet (when I am outside the dorm) this is the route that I should use to connect to a device in my room LAN:

Internet -> NordVPN server -> Raspberry Pi in my LAN -> Mikrotik router in my LAN -> other device in my LAN

Is it correct?
Last edited by LastStarDust on Fri May 25, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 5:19 am

If the VPN service doesn't support port forwarding, then yes, it's a problem. Because port forwarding is exactly what you need.

With the friend option, they don't need server, just a public address and configurable router (MikroTik preferred of course :)) would be enough.

Or you can try to find some other service, I asked Google and so far I found portmap.io (uses OpenVPN) and ngrok.com (uses some custom client), which give one port even for free. The latter won't work directly with hAP for sure, and the former is likely to not work either (the most common OpenVPN config is incompatible with RouterOS). But it's not a problem if you have a RasPi in LAN, you can use it instead of hAP and once you get there, you have more than one way to get to other devices. I didn't test any of these services myself, but they should work.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 am

If the VPN service doesn't support port forwarding, then yes, it's a problem. Because port forwarding is exactly what you need.

With the friend option, they don't need server, just a public address and configurable router (MikroTik preferred of course :)) would be enough.

Or you can try to find some other service, I asked Google and so far I found portmap.io (uses OpenVPN) and ngrok.com (uses some custom client), which give one port even for free. The latter won't work directly with hAP for sure, and the former is likely to not work either (the most common OpenVPN config is incompatible with RouterOS). But it's not a problem if you have a RasPi in LAN, you can use it instead of hAP and once you get there, you have more than one way to get to other devices. I didn't test any of these services myself, but they should work.

Thank you very much for the hints. Of course, I would leave the option of using free internet services as the last option. For two reasons: first because, if the Raspberry Pi is turned off, I lose the access to my LAN, but most importantly because I would like to avoid entrusting my info and traffic to an unknown company (whose only income is what can be exploited with my data).

I do have some close friends with a configurable router and public IP access. But for certain is not a Mikrotik router (here in Japan is very difficult to find. I have bought mine from Europe).
Could you please explain in loose words, how to configure my friend's router to be able to access my Mikrotik router from the internet?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 2:21 pm

It's simple. You need VPN server on friend's side, connect your router to it as client, and then forward some ports from their public address to you via the tunnel. Exact configuration depends on router. VPN can in theory be anything supported by RouterOS (PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN, IPSec).

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:26 am

It's simple. You need VPN server on friend's side, connect your router to it as client, and then forward some ports from their public address to you via the tunnel. Exact configuration depends on router. VPN can, in theory, be anything supported by RouterOS (PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN, IPSec).

I just checked the model of my friend's router. It is a Buffalo WSR-1166DHP3 (http://buffalo.jp/product/wireless-lan/ap/wsr-1166dhp3/).
It doesn't support VPN and as far as I know, it is not compatible with OpenWrt or any other open source firmware.
I have even reached an OpenWrt developer and he confirmed that it is not compatible.
Anyhow the router stock firmware supports port-forwarding and dynamic DNS.
So I thought about buying the cheapest router on the market that can act as a VPN server and connect it to one of the free ethernet ports of the Buffalo router. Or maybe even a Raspberry Pi zero could work.
For example, do you think that this would be compatible with MikroTik routerOS?
https://goo.gl/cGnkNr

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:24 pm

It's simple. You need VPN server on friend's side, connect your router to it as client, and then forward some ports from their public address to you via the tunnel. Exact configuration depends on router. VPN can, in theory, be anything supported by RouterOS (PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN, IPSec).

I just checked the model of my friend's router. It is a Buffalo WSR-1166DHP3 (http://buffalo.jp/product/wireless-lan/ap/wsr-1166dhp3/).
It doesn't support VPN and as far as I know, it is not compatible with OpenWrt or any other open source firmware.
I have even reached an OpenWrt developer and he confirmed that it is not compatible.
Anyhow the router stock firmware supports port-forwarding and dynamic DNS.
So I thought about buying the cheapest router on the market that can act as a VPN server and connect it to one of the free ethernet ports of the Buffalo router. Or maybe even a Raspberry Pi zero could work.
For example, do you think that this would be compatible with MikroTik routerOS?
https://goo.gl/cGnkNr
I know some asus router support pptp, some newer model even have openvpn, but I don't know the performance, and I don't know if it can port forward to the vpn interface (I had some asus router, but I use them as AP only)

update:
just check one of my RT-AC86U with firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20942, it have pptp. openvpn, ipsec, and seems it can port forward to the vpn client, but I didn't test it as this router is on a remote site, sorry about that

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 am

I know some asus router support pptp, some newer model even have openvpn, but I don't know the performance, and I don't know if it can port forward to the vpn interface (I had some asus router, but I use them as AP only)

update:
just check one of my RT-AC86U with firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20942, it have pptp. openvpn, ipsec, and seems it can port forward to the vpn client, but I didn't test it as this router is on a remote site, sorry about that
I am sorry but the RT-AC86U is way above my budget. I don't want to substitute the router of my friend but only to attach a small and inexpensive device to it that can act as a VPN server.
Do you think that a Raspberry Pi zero with an ethernet adapter would do? I am leaning towards that configuration ...

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

update:
I am sorry but the RT-AC86U is way above my budget. I don't want to substitute the router of my friend but only to attach a small and inexpensive device to it that can act as a VPN server.
Do you think that a Raspberry Pi zero with an ethernet adapter would do? I am leaning towards that configuration ...
Yes you can run a l2tp server on a Pi, OpenVPN and pptp also available, but I will go for a wifi dongle as I had many bad experience with usb ethernet adapter.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:10 am

Thank you for the confirmation!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:17 am

MikroTik's hAP mini is not too expensive either.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:54 am

Thank you for the hint. I will consider it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Is it even legal to have your networking equipment in the dorm. You may be breaking college rules by having another WIFI device in the area. Just saying it may require to turn the wifi off on the hAP Ac2.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:54 pm

There is no shared WiFi in the dorm but only an ethernet socket in every room. Every student is supposed to buy and install his/her own router, may it be a wifi router or not.
On top of that, I would like to point out that I am a PhD student and not a mere freshman anymore ... moreover, Japanese people are not famous for being lenient with rule-breakers, so I would never go against the regulation (at least not so light-heartedly).

That said, I have settled for a Raspberry Pi Zero. Considering my setup (refer to the first post), what is the best VPN protocol in your opinion?
Consider also that, since no sensitive information is going to go through this VPN channel, I would prioritize speed over security.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:31 pm

I reformulate the question ...
Given the conditions below, what is the best VPN protocol to use in my case?
  • Router 1: MikroTik hAP ac² - VPN client
  • Router 2: Buffalo WSR-1166DHP3 with VPN server running on a Raspberry Pi Zero (Raspbian)
  • Distance: 30 km (19 mi)
  • Download mean speed (both): 10+-5 Mbps
  • Upload mean speed (both): 20+-5 Mbps
  • Use of the VPN: access files and stream music and videos that are stored on the Router 1
  • Notes: no need for security but need for speed

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 am

Sorry, I missed the first message. If you don't care about security, i.e. you only need to forward ports and what will go over them will use own encryption, I'd probably try bare L2TP without IPSec. But I won't tell you much about it, because I never tried to set it up on Linux. What I did do was OpenVPN (relatively easy, but RouterOS only support tcp, which is not ideal) or IPSec (not fun with NAT).

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 am

Sorry, I missed the first message. If you don't care about security, i.e. you only need to forward ports and what will go over them will use own encryption, I'd probably try bare L2TP without IPSec. But I won't tell you much about it, because I never tried to set it up on Linux. What I did do was OpenVPN (relatively easy, but RouterOS only support tcp, which is not ideal) or IPSec (not fun with NAT).
Thank you again for the advice. I will try to set up a bare L2TP without IPsec. You said that you don't have practical experience about it but if you happen to know a good tutorial about it, please let me know!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Experiment, it's fun! I planned to try it myself, but I don't know if I'll get to it. You don't need anything special, just some basic config, try asking your favourite search engine. Or you can start with OpenVPN, it might be simpler. Again, you're looking for basic config. Only thing to remember is that RouterOS doesn't support UDP and LZO, so you need TCP (which sometimes doesn't work very well, but as a start, why not; or since you don't have any high requirements, it might be good enough to keep).

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Experiment, it's fun! I planned to try it myself, but I don't know if I'll get to it. You don't need anything special, just some basic config, try asking your favourite search engine. Or you can start with OpenVPN, it might be simpler. Again, you're looking for basic config. Only thing to remember is that RouterOS doesn't support UDP and LZO, so you need TCP (which sometimes doesn't work very well, but as a start, why not; or since you don't have any high requirements, it might be good enough to keep).
Hello Sob! After much trial and error, I was able to set up the pi zero as a VPN server. The logs say that I have a working connection on both client and server side. I followed your advice and I have chosen a L2PT protocol without IPsec. Now I need to "use" the VPN tunnel ... but I have no idea how nor I could find anything on google. Maybe the issue is too trivial ...
Anyway, let's start simple. Let's say that I want to connect to my Mikrotik router (VPN client) from the web. So I want to reach the 80 port of the MikroTik router from the web. How do I set up port forwarding on the server side?

The following is how I set up the routing of the VPN server (raspberry pi zero)
     iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --jump MASQUERADE
     echo "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" | tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
     echo "net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0" | tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
     echo "net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0" | tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
     for vpn in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*; do echo 0 > $vpn/accept_redirects; echo 0 > $vpn/send_redirects; done

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 am

It's relatively simple. Since your Raspi is behing NAT (with VPN port forwarded to it from main router), first you need to also forward port 80 from main router to Raspi. And from there, you can forward it again to your RB (VPN client).

My iptables knowledge is rusty (I don't use it much since I discovered RouterOS), but Google says it's the following and it looks as remember it:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d <Raspi's IP address> --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination <VPN client address>:80
Since you added universal masquerade rule for all traffic, it should work. You might want to fine-tune it later when everything works and limit it only for VPN as outgoing interface. I also don't think you need to do anything with redirect, but you probably don't need to worry about it now. In case there are problem, tcpdump is your friend, use it to see if you see incoming packes forwarded by main router, if you see them going out via VPN, and if replies come back.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 am

Hello!
Thanks to the many pieces of advice in this thread I was able to set up the Raspberry Pi Zero to act a VPN server. So far so good.
The problem is that the Raspberry Pi Zero with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter is extremely inadequate to the job. The total throughput was always bottle-necked by the USB-to-Ethernet adapter.

By "job" I mean streaming music and videos in the subnet of the VPN client over the VPN tunnel and watch them in the subnet of the VPN server.
My target would be to see HD videos with a throughput of ~1MBps.

So I followed the advice of a user and bought a MikroTik hAP ac lite and set it up as a L2TP/IPSec server. So far so good.
The problem is that it is still not enough for streaming videos over the VPN tunnel. There are moments when the net is not overloaded and I can get a 1.5MBps that, given a little time for buffering, is enough for my needs. But in other moments I can only get 300KBps. Is there anything that I can do to improve the VPN performance?
[admin@Minezawa] > interface l2tp-client print detail
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R name="VPN Client" max-mtu=1450 max-mru=1450 mrru=disabled connect-to=xxx user="xxx" password="xxx" profile=default-encryption keepalive-timeout=60 use-ipsec=yes ipsec-secret="xxx" allow-fast-path=no 
      add-default-route=no dial-on-demand=no allow=pap,chap,mschap1,mschap2

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:47 am

Are you sure it's not just the internet connection? And not only yours, it depends also on VPN server's connection. Specifically, both your download and upload through VPN are limited by whatever is slower on server (download or upload).

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:37 pm

My friend, do you still need the VPN server with port forward?

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Are you sure it's not just the internet connection? And not only yours, it depends also on VPN server's connection. Specifically, both your download and upload through VPN are limited by whatever is slower on server (download or upload).
Yes, I think it is like you say and I cannot get speeds better than those ... but I wanted to be sure anyway, so I wrote that post.

LastStarDust
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm

My friend, do you still need the VPN server with port forward?
No thank you.