Community discussions

MikroTik App

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Winbox font in wine

Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 pm

I have used winbox under wine in OpenSUSE 13.1 for quite some time, and the font was a thin small font that was not anti-aliased (smoothed).
Now I have re-installed my system using Debian Buster and all over the place fonts have changed, probably because anti-aliasing is now enabled (I probably disabled it on the old sys).
In most places, like here in the browser, the anti-aliased fonts look beautiful. However, in winbox they look like the reason why I usually disabled anti-aliasing: for small fonts, there appear double-pixels in unwanted places, making the characters sometimes look a bit fat. It appears to mainly affect numerals, in particular the 8.
However, the characters in general appear to be a bit fatter and wider, also indicated by the fact that some of the column widths I had carefully set before upgrading now are a little too small (I copied my winbox settings from the old setup but otherwise started with a fresh .wine directory).

I have installed the ms truetype fonts. I also tried to google for wine font issues, but I mainly find hints about how to get fonth smoothing working when it isn't, not the other way around.
I tried the "winetricks" program to set fontsmoothing to disabled, but this has no effect at all. Probably "disabled" sets it to the default of the underlying OS instead, which is now "enabled"....

Anyone have a hint what to do?
I have added an example of what I see
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Winbox font in wine

Thu May 24, 2018 2:22 pm

This is an example of how it looked before.
No anti-aliasing but consistent style and also a little smaller.
On the new system even some texts of the winbox dialogs (names of input fields) do not fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Which font is winbox using by default (like shown in 2nd posting, and also what I see on native WIndows box)?
Maybe I am still missing that font in my new wine installation...

rjscomms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Winbox font in wine  [SOLVED]

Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 am

Hello,

I had a similar problem.

I found this while searching for a solution. Don't know how he did it, but it works for me. Found under viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51064&p=428731&hili ... ry#p428731

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11 Driver]
"ClientSideWithRender"="N"

Create a file test.reg with this key, and on terminal:
regedit test.reg

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 am

try winetricks to turn off font smoothing:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24327

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Normis: I already tried that, but it had no effect at all. My guess is that setting it to no aliasing there (which changes it in Windows) merely exposes the default of Linux/X, which now has aliasing on.
rjscomms: thanks, that looks good! I will try that when I am at the updated system again tonight (my work system is not yet updated and works OK)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 pm

The trick mentioned by rjscomms works! Hooray!
It is not mentioned in winetricks although it allows 3 other settings in that same registry folder.
I did one of the others and then renamed it in regedit for convenience (winetricks creates the .reg file for you).
Thanks! Usable winbox again :D
Interesting... the other posting showed exactly the same problem in screendumps but its main topic was another
problem that I did not have (apparently caused by a driver bug back then) and therefore I did not find it...

DavidRobick
just joined

Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 am

I also recently had a problem with a new font, and as it turned out, the download source was bad.