Community discussions

MikroTik App

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik bricked by backup, reset button not working anymore

Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Hello everyone,

1. I have RB951G-2HnD (out-of-warranty) and an old backup file I wanted to restore.
  2. I have restored the backup file to RB951G-2HnD
  3. it worked for a few minutes, I logged into WinBox and I was checking the actual config via /export in Terminal.
  4. then the connection was lost and all LAN ports started to reset itself every 5 seconds (going down and up every 10 sec), impossible to establish connection to PC again.
    Can't use WinBox anymore, no LAN was working and WiFi was disabled in the backup. I tried different computers
  5. I made a reset with reset button
  6. Settings was reset, but the problem with LAN ports going down persisted :-O The only way to use winbox was via WiFi.
  7. I fixed it by Netinstall, clean ROS 6.42.2 succesfully installed, the problem has gone, everything back to normal, so I have a device prepared for backup restore again.
  8. I restored the backup again.
  9. And the issue was back. LAN ports going down every few sec and I was unable to connect to Mikrotik.
  10. I decided that I give up with this backup, it does not work.
  11. I made a reset with reset button
  12. Settings was reset, but the problem with LAN ports going down persisted.
  13. I'm trying to fix it again with Netinstall, but unable to do so. The first beep comes after 35s, not after ~15s like on other RB951G's, and it always do a standard boot no matter what. Not appearing in Netinstall anymore.
    (have tested another Mikrotik: I can see another RB951G-2HnD in Netinstall after ~16s of holding reset button. I'm actually releasing it just before, or just after first beep. No other beeps after that, and I see it in Netinstall every time. So the setup I use for Netinstall connection is ok, the problematic mikrotik device is not.)
  14. I can access the router via WinBox (using WiFi) so I tried system routerboard settings set force-backup-booter=yes, but with no luck.

Currently:
  1. The LAN ports are resetting themselves every few seconds, no connection via Ethernet is possible
  2. WiFi is working, WinBox connection works using WiFi
  3. Resetting configuration from WinBox does not solve the problem with restarting LAN ports.
  4. I'd like to erase it with Netinstall to remove the issue with LAN ports, but I can't access the router with Netinstall.
    It seems that it started to ignore both reset buttons completely (there is a reset button and jumper hole).
    loop.gif

Q1: Can a backup completely brick the router?
    Q2: What can I do next to unbrick it?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by babca on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Mikrotik bricked by backup, reset button not working anymore

Fri May 25, 2018 9:46 pm

You cannot restore a backup to anything apart from the EXACT SAME ROUTER that it came from. You cannot restore backups to routers even of the same type.

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks, but I had different questions:

Thank you

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 pm

You cannot restore a backup to anything apart from the EXACT SAME ROUTER that it came from. You cannot restore backups to routers even of the same type.

Correct.

If you want to restore from one Mikrotik to another, you need to export config to file and then execute that on the other via terminal

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 11:09 pm

1) If the file got corrupted it certainly could.
2) You already answered that one yourself - Netinstall

Assuming that this is the SAME ROUTER, If you have another backup file, try it after the Netinstall.
If it's a different router, or if you only have the one (possibly corrupted) backup, do you have an Export? If so, use that to restore.

Hint for future use: Have more than one backup. In my case each of my routers create a backup and a export file every day and E-Mail them to me (E-Mail server is on my LAN, so those files never hit the internet).

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 25, 2018 11:18 pm

you need to export config to file and then execute that on the other via terminal
That is actually dangerous if you have statically assigned MAC to some interface (bridge, virtual-wlan), because that MAC will get copied as well. Unless you realize and change this, you might get random "loop detected" disconnections. (I had to learn the hard way because I forgot that I assigned admin-mac to the bridge)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 pm

World is a dangerous place to live ...

With export you have chance to review every single setting before it is applied to another device, with backup you don't. If careless admin doesn't take chance given, then it's nobody else to blame for failures.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 pm

• I can access the router via WinBox (using WiFi) so I tried system routerboard settings set force-backup-booter=yes, but with no luck.
I'd like to access Netinstall to fix it again but I can't.
If you can access it, then it's not bricked.

You can try to force network boot for Netinstall like this:
/system routerboard settings set boot-device=try-ethernet-once-then-nand
Or just reset the whole config (but if it doesn't go well, you'll also lose wifi access):
/system reset-configuration

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks guys,

If you can access it, then it's not bricked.
I need to erase it with Netinstall to remove the issue with LAN ports, but I can't access it with Netinstall anymore.
The Mikrotik started to ignore both reset buttons completely (there is a reset button and jumper hole). That's the actual problem.
Resetting configuration from WinBox does not solve the problem with restarting LAN ports.
I don't want to remove config completely as I'm afraid that I would lose the last communication channel I now have to this mikrotik (wifi).

With export you have chance to review every single setting ...
That's true. I used a backup file because I haven't had export available this time.

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2018 6:12 pm

I've ended up with mikrotik restarting (beeping) every 10 seconds.

exacly like in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjcXbBf91OA

It's unresponsive to both of reset buttons and netinstall.

What can I do next?

Thank you.

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:30 pm

bump.

AndreasGR

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I had the same problem after an update due to power outage during restart after update.
It was saved by netinstall.
I read that you can't connect through netinstall.
What OS does your pc run?

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Win10 and Win XP. Netinstall works for my other RB951G-2HnD's, not for the bricked device.

AndreasGR

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Win10 and Win XP. Netinstall works for my other RB951G-2HnD's, not for the bricked device.
I know you said it works for other devices. Nevertheless please check if you have hyperv installed on your PC and make sure you are connected to the ethernet port that netinstall is allowed to connect for RB951. It usually is eth0 but please verify as I do not know that for sure.

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Yes I'm using the first port (WAN port) for netinstall connection.
I don't have any hyperv installed and I also tried to disable all "network adapters", except the physical ethernet card.
The bricked mikrotik have a different LED blinking procedure (while booting) than my other 2HnD's.

AndreasGR

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Do you try to connect with a direct cable or while connected at a switch ( where the other routers might also be connected)?

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:53 am

I had the same problem after an update due to power outage during restart after update.
It was saved by netinstall.

Ditto, had exact scenario and netinstall fixed it, netinstall is a bit finicky, but will work.

disable firewall, anti virus, all ports except the one used, etc

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 am

I'm using direct cable. There is no issue with netinstall.

Netinstall works for me with another RB951. I just keep pressing the reset button until a single beep (20 sec), then it shows up in netinstall.
The bricked RB951: I keep pressing the reset button, a single beep coming after 33 sec. Anytime I release the button it continues to reboot itself every 10sec (all LEDs flash + single beep). It never shows up in netinstall. When I keep pressing the reset button indefinitely, it constantly reboots every 36 seconds (3 sec after the single beep).

I'm clearly not alone with the issue:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134587&p=662689&hil ... ry#p662689
Hi all

I have problem after upgrading my RB951Ui-2nD to New Version (6.40). It beeps every 6 seconds. It doesn't get picked up in Netinstall. Also, Windows cannot keep a LAN connection to the RB, it keeps on Identifying and then cable unplugged (loop). This occurs on all ports. Is there any solution to get my RB working again. I have done a reset as well with nothing.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Regards
Galahad.
Any comment from Mikrotik stuff?
Thank you.

AndreasGR

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Anytime I release the button it continues to reboot itself every 10sec (all LEDs flash + single beep). It never shows up in netinstall. When I keep pressing the reset button indefinitely, it constantly reboots every 36 seconds (3 sec after the single beep).
It reboots even if you release at 20sec (without hearing the beep)?

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks for the tip, I tried all the combinations:
I released the reset button after: 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s, 11s, 12s, 13s, 14s, 15s, 16s, 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s, 21s, 22s, 23s, 24s, 25s, 26s, 27s, 28s, 29s, 30s, 31s, 32s, 33s, 34s (BEEP), 35s, 36s (reboots itself), 37s, 38s, 39s, 40s, 1 minute and longer (it keeps rebooting every 36sec).

Behavior is still the same. 6 second long infinite reboot loop right after releasing the button, not showing up in netinstall.
Last edited by babca on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndreasGR

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm

I am terribly sorry that I do not have any other ideas. Maybe the board is damaged.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Check if you do not have protected boot options set.

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:55 pm

@mrz: Although I have never used this feature (it's not needed in home environment anyway), is in my case any way to check this?

From docs:
Unsetting of this option is only possible from RouterOS. If you forget the RouterOS password, the only option is to perform a complete reformat of both NAND and RAM with the following method, but you have to know the reset button hold time in seconds.
@AndreasGR: Thank you for you ideas, I appreciate it.

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:10 am

Does this issue have any solution?

Why Mikrotik accepts corrupt or incompatible backup files for restore?

How can I check if a backup is safe to restore?

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:37 pm

@normis, why RouterOS accepts corrupt or incompatible backup files for restore?

Thanks in advance

babca
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm

BUMP @normis / @mikrotikstuff

Thanks.