Community discussions

MikroTik App

steen
Topic Author

CRS125 do I dare to upgrade from 6.37.4 to 6.41+ ?

Sun May 27, 2018 11:27 am

Hello Folks!

I saw that new features was added after ros v6.41.

We have a bunch of CRS125 ros 6.37.4(bug fix only), used as VLAN switches with various trunk ports and access ports, using the CRS switch feature with the switch chip.
The CRS:es has trunk ports to each other and to cisco switches as well as hyper-v, xen and kvm and other environments.

How does it work if I upgrade then to v6.41 or newer ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS125 do I dare to upgrade from 6.37.4 to 6.41+ ?

Sun May 27, 2018 11:48 am

I can't say anything about upgrade process on CRS125 as I don't have any. I did upgrade on RB951 which has switch chip as well and I had VLANs defined "in old way". The upgrade from 6.40 to 6.41 went smooth for me.

I guess success depends on how device is configured and if it's configured according to "best practice" (whatever that is), upgrade will go smoothly. But the only way of knowing it is by trying. I'd take one spare unit, configure it in the same manner as one of units in production, do upgrade and check the new configuration. If it's fine, swap units and proceed with another setup. If you have multiple units configured (almost) the same way, I guess you could upgrade all of them if the first one is fine.

Do remember that "cloning of configuration" should be done using config exports (review contents against device-dependant configuration, such as MAC addresses) and not using backup files (those are not portable between units of same HW type).

steen
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2018 3:41 pm

I can't say anything about upgrade process on CRS125 as I don't have any. I did upgrade on RB951 which has switch chip as well and I had VLANs defined "in old way". The upgrade from 6.40 to 6.41 went smooth for me.

I guess success depends on how device is configured and if it's configured according to "best practice" (whatever that is), upgrade will go smoothly. But the only way of knowing it is by trying. I'd take one spare unit, configure it in the same manner as one of units in production, do upgrade and check the new configuration. If it's fine, swap units and proceed with another setup. If you have multiple units configured (almost) the same way, I guess you could upgrade all of them if the first one is fine.

Do remember that "cloning of configuration" should be done using config exports (review contents against device-dependant configuration, such as MAC addresses) and not using backup files (those are not portable between units of same HW type).
Okey, I have upgraded some else mt devices which have switch chip inside without knowledge about the new features and ways to manage vlans, at that time I observed some at that time settings that seemed obscure, which actually was a result of the new way so to say. All worked at that time.
I will definitely upgrade one lab CRS first to see what happens.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 27, 2018 3:55 pm

The upgrade made a mess of mine, but I knew it was going to as I had multiple bridges and VLANs.
Make sure your console cable works before you start! And definitely do them off-line.

steen
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 pm

The upgrade made a mess of mine, but I knew it was going to as I had multiple bridges and VLANs.
Make sure your console cable works before you start! And definitely do them off-line.
Okey, then I have to make a solid migration plan, bringing out one device at a time. CRS console is the cisco style, have to check that, never tested it from before.
I suspect all kind of fun, since they are not pure switches in all cases, some is also routers and have vlans with ip addresses on them and so on.

Miracle
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 28, 2018 6:22 am

Vlan switch chip not working like their wiki after 6.40

Kindis

Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

I would upgrade to 6.40.8 (latest bugfix) before upgrading to new bridge. You can always contact MT support and check from which version to new version is best. You have a better bet at upgrading from latest bugfix to latest current. At least my guess is so.
As you current version contains some nasty security flaws I would hurry the upgrade to 6.40.8 and then plan upgrade to current and the new bridge.

steen
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2018 12:25 pm

I would upgrade to 6.40.8 (latest bugfix) before upgrading to new bridge. You can always contact MT support and check from which version to new version is best. You have a better bet at upgrading from latest bugfix to latest current. At least my guess is so.
As you current version contains some nasty security flaws I would hurry the upgrade to 6.40.8 and then plan upgrade to current and the new bridge.
Thanks!
I will probably do so, a stepwise upgrade including recabling some devices in order to free up the switch during the operation.
We will plan for an upgrade the coming month and let you all know how it went here in the forum.

However, the switches has been working without hitches in operation and messing around with configuration.
(But by some reasons, historically they have required pulling power cable after upgrading them, otherwise they did not start pass traffic at all.)

steen
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello Folks!

I successfully stepwise upgraded first LAB CRS to latest long-term RoS 6.42.10. I had prepared a script in advance with the new settings, but I never had to use it.

Step 1 RoS 6.37.5 -> RoS 6.40.9 OK
Step 2 RoS 6.40.9 -> RoS 6.42.10 OK

In Step 1 we lost the builtin p2p support, no visible problems appeared.
In Step 2, master port configuration were converted to the new bridge based with hardware acceleration and some vlan settings were automatically adjusted accordingly by replacing the old master port with bridge. No visible problems appeared.

I was not on-site, but had mac-telnet contact with the device and monitored it from another switch it is connected to, I never had to use mac-telnet, it just came back after upgrading like nothing had happened and winbox was used to login after upgrade.

Now it should be said that this lab crs configuration is less complex than the production crs:es, but it yet contain OSPF and some firewall rules, all that survived.

It proves the concept, but I will not upgrade the other production CRS:es off-site so it has to wait.

steen
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:16 am

Hello Folks!

I successfully stepwise upgraded first LAB CRS to latest long-term RoS 6.42.10. I had prepared a script in advance with the new settings, but I never had to use it.

In Step 2, master port configuration were converted to the new bridge based with hardware acceleration and some vlan settings were automatically adjusted accordingly by replacing the old master port with bridge. No visible problems appeared.

I was not on-site, but had mac-telnet contact with the device and monitored it from another switch it is connected to, I never had to use mac-telnet, it just came back after upgrading like nothing had happened and winbox was used to login after upgrade.

Now it should be said that this lab crs configuration is less complex than the production crs:es, but it yet contain OSPF and some firewall rules, all that survived.

It proves the concept, but I will not upgrade the other production CRS:es off-site so it has to wait.
Multiple CRS125 has now been successfully updated using the step wise upgrade, to latest long term, there was no need for any hands on or modification.

steen
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Hello Folks!

Multiple CRS125 has now been successfully updated using the step wise upgrade, to latest long term, there was no need for any hands on or modification.
All CRS125 has been successfully updated to latest stable (6.42.10) from 6.37.4 and lower using the stepwise way.
I admit, prior to all the upgrades I connected air console to the serial port so I had contact with the devices at all times.