Community discussions

tonny
Topic Author

SMS without data subscription

Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 am

Hi,

We have an wAP-lte(kit) which we want to send out some alert SMS notifications. Since it's only intended to send SMS, they provided me with a simcard with only an SMS bundle on it.
I tested it first in a cellphone, and that works well. In the wAP however, it will not. The log gives me :

08:41:42 lte,info lte1: registered, home
08:41:46 lte,info lte1: registered, home
08:41:47 lte,info lte1: not registred, state: 0
08:42:11 lte,info lte1: registered, home
08:42:15 lte,info lte1: registered, home
08:42:16 lte,info lte1: not registred, state: 0
08:42:39 lte,info lte1: registered, home
08:43:04 lte,info lte1: registered, home
08:43:07 lte,info lte1: not registred, state: 0
08:43:37 lte,info lte1: registered, home
08:43:40 lte,info lte1: not registred, state: 0

If you only like to send SMS, one would assume, it should work without a data subscription (at least, that would make sense to me ). Any help, tips, experience on this one ??

Thnx,
Tonny

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SMS without data subscription

Tue May 29, 2018 5:22 pm

SMS service is mostly provided as supplementary service implemented on top of CS (circuit-switched) signalling channels. Later (still in GSM times) SMS over packet services was added, but not many networks implemented it. So basically SMSes work via "speech" service. Most probably the SIM card they provided doesn't have PS (packet-switched) services enabled.

When a mobile terminal (phone, data card, USB modem) connects to the mobile network, it tries to register to certain services. Which services they are depends on terminal itself ... and if some requested services are not subscribed, registeation fails. Behaviour after this point depends on terminal as well. It seems that cellphone was happy with only CS services (and could send SMSes) while wAP-lte probably insists on registering to PS services (usually mobile broadband is used for data communication) and will not work until it gets them (but network will remain subborn in denying them).

Solution: either get support@mikrotik.com to tell you if it's possible to get wAP-lte register without attaching to PS services (and how to do it) ... or get some device which doesn't insist on attaching to PS services (e.g. a feature phone with serial port connectivity) and works with MT. Both possibilities could proove to be impossible.
BR,
Metod

tonny
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am

Thnx for a little background on how gsm works. I sent the question (and rif file) to support indeed.

tr00g33k
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Where you able to solve this ? I have the same problem,...