Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

valent
Topic Author

Here is what I would ask if I was at MUM Poland 2007

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:10 pm

If I was there I would like to ask if I was at MUM meeting in Poland:

How to make wireless QoS with Mikrotik?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there can't be real QoS on any wireless network, as there is on wired networks.

On wired networks you give some protocols the percentage of maximum bandwidth;
ie. http gets 30-90% (and is in 1st category)
ftp gets 40-60% (and is in 2nd category)
all rest gets 30-50% (and is in 3rd category)

so http ALWAYS gets minimum 30Mbit (30% of 100Mbit) on a standard network, and it is guaranteed to get that, there is no way it can get less than that, as ftp has a maximum of 40Mbit and all rest has 30Mbit, so combined it is 100Mbits/sec.

On a wireless network maximum bandwidth is always changing. If some client with poor connection connects speed throughput drops to everyone other connected. Also there is some overhead when there are more clients connected. It is not the same if there is only 2-3 clients connected or if there are 10, and not only because the speed is divided among the connected users but also because of the overhead and mutual noise that gets generated as more people put their antennas toward one to which they all connect.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me how do you setup QoS on Mikrotik Wireless routers?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:16 pm

you should make your wireless link stable that way you can ensure that you have correct limitations.

valent
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:27 pm

you should make your wireless link stable that way you can ensure that you have correct limitations.
I'm not talking point to point links, that is easy.
I'm laking about lots of people connecting to one poing (point to multipoint) and everyone having different antennas, different locations, different EM noise in neighborhood... etc...

And how to make QoS work between different users that connect to that access point?

Is it now a bit more clear?

Diganet

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:30 pm

I'm not talking point to point links, that is easy.
I'm laking about lots of people connecting to one poing (point to multipoint) and everyone having different antennas, different locations, different EM noise in neighborhood... etc...

And how to make QoS work between different users that connect to that access point?

Is it now a bit more clear?
You should go read about (and understand) different queue types. Read up on PCQ, this will propably to the tricks for you if you're looking for slotting your bandwith into equal for everybody.

/Henrik

firebat

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:12 am

Are your link speeds changing? For a HotSPOT, you could have an issue but with fixed wireless, the Signal strength/speed should be constant unless you have unstable/flaky links.

valent
Topic Author

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:22 am

I know about PCQ and queues, but they need to know what is the maximum bandwidth. And in situation I described maximum is a variable. How does PCQ handle that? I don't see how... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Diganet

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:08 am

I know about PCQ and queues, but they need to know what is the maximum bandwidth. And in situation I described maximum is a variable. How does PCQ handle that? I don't see how... please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok, maybe i'm still a bit drunk after MUM, but this makes no reason for me at all. As i read this you want to make sure that all with good connections still have good connections even if "bad" clients are on the same AP, slowing things down?.. Sorry but you can't do this, but you can make sure that everybody has the best possible connection to the AP so this won't happen, perhaps by designing your net in a way this is possible. Normally QoS is used (at least by me) is to guarantee a Quality of Service to individual groups or users, all based on the available bandwith of the WAN.

A way to maybe do something for your wireless side could be to use RouterOS clients, using Nstreme and Polling. This should ensure equal bandwith to all, but there's no way RouterOS dynamically should be able to "detect" each clients individual SNR/CCQ and base a Queue on that.. Perhaps with some genious scripting... maybe, but i would rather make sure that every connected client has a minimum SNR/CCQ and rule out the rest.

/Henrik