MikroTik App

ktw-matt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RADIUS MikroTik-Rate-Limit and Static IP Addressing

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi all,

We're already using RADIUS and the MikroTik-Rate-Limit attribute for DHCP customers, but I'm curious if you can rig up RouterOS to do this with static IP customers.. something like this:

Packet comes in on wlan1 (for instance) on the forward chain. The MAC address associated with this packet gets sent to the RADIUS server.
Then...
if (radius_reply == ok)
{
  rate_limit = radius_reply[1]; // for example
  if (static_ip is_not_found_in simple_queue_list)
    add simple queue using rate_limit
  elseif (static_ip is_found_in simple_queue_list)
    check and update, if necessary, the simple queue's rate_limit
}
else
{
  add firewall rule(s) to block their IP on the forward chain.
}
I hope that makes sense. If possible, I want the same level of control for static IP customers, that we have with DHCP customers.

All suggestions are welcome.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:51 pm

I thought I had something for you, but after re-reading my post, it wouldn't work.. (delete post)

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:01 pm

You should be able to get Radius itself to implement this via something like SSH on the MT via rlm_perl or rlm_exec...

Will be a highly customised auth server though. I don't think you can do this with MT / standard radius itself...

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:14 am

HI ktw-matt,

did you find a solution to this problem? I want the same: limit the customers speed when the client is associated to my ap and the mac is authenticaded via radius but the interface has a fixed IP address.

Regards,

Fabrício F.: Kammer

ktw-matt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:01 pm

I've asked about this kind of thing before, and the obvious solution is to use DHCP and give out static leases, but this seems a bit unnatural. However, by doing so, it would simplify IP assignment and configuration... not to mention the ability to automatically Rate-Limit static IP customers.

Currently, a static IP on portions of our network require: a manual ARP entry in the router, a manual simple queue entry, and of course getting their client device configured to use the assigned IP, subnet, and default gateway.

On the up-side, we don't have too many static IP customers, but that still doesn't justify all the manual modifications that need to be made.

One other possibility: When RouterOS 3.0 comes out, we can make use of the RouterOS API from our customer database application. (Or is the API already available in 2.9.x?)

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi ktw-matt,

I use static IP addresses on all my customers, but I want to concentrate all the informations on the same place to give more security and facility do make de backups.

I'm waiting the API for a long time too... It will be great.

Regards

jonmansey
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:51 pm

what about using PPPOE? using radius to assign static IP and rate-limit to customers as they authenticate, you can sell them encrypted link also ;-)

jm

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:16 pm

jonmansey,

Hi, I can't use pppoe in my customers, first because I'll have to change all customers configurations, what is a lot of work and second because I've a compromisse with my customers of "PowerOn the computer and start to browser the internet".

Today I do the simples queues by hand. I just want to do this automatically, with out open the Winbox and create the simple queues.

Regards