Community discussions

MikroTik App

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How set static ip address for bridge A and B?

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 pm

So I want to know how i can set working static address for my bridge A and B.
my current network.png

The above is my network diagram. router A & bridge A are located at site A and Bridge B and Router B are at site B. Bridge A is SXT SA5AC set up as bridge AP and Bridge B is SXTsq 5 ac as station bridge. Currently my configuration as follow, I set Bridge A and B as dhcp client to router A, and I have already set IP address reservation for bridge A & B from dhcp server at router A. Everything is work, the bridges get the address from dhcp server.

However, I no longer want to use dhcp client to obtain the ip, Instead I want to set the address manually for bridge A & B respectively using /ip address add address=192.168.18.7/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.18.0 and /ip address add address=192.168.18.9/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.18.0 . Although, doing that I can't no longer access those mikrotik device ip address. Pinging and winbox connection to that ip address failed to connect. I hope someone can point out what I'm doing wrong with the config. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: How set static ip address for bridge A and B?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 am

bump, anyone?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:44 am

It should just work, if you put correct addresses on correct interfaces (simply duplicate what dhcp gives you).

One reason why it wouldn't work could be if you had interface on Router A towards bridges in arp=reply-only mode and dhcp would be adding arp records for leases. Then you wouldn't be able to access manually added addresses from site A (but they would work from site B).

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:47 am

Hi,
Currently the dhcp ip address lease by the dhcp server works alright. However, I want to set the ip address in bridge A & B with static ip manually set within the respective device itself. not given by router A. the address would be the same as i laid out on my network diagram, 192.168.18.7 & 192.168.18.9. But this method doesn't seem to work.

Primary reason i want this approach because ethernet port of bridge A sporadically flapping, perhaps 2-3 time every 5 or 6 days. Everytime the ethernet goes down, it will flap on off non stop. During this time I can't connect to bridge A & B using winbox because when the port flaps, then connection to dhcp server in router A is disconnected. In the end I had to pull the ac plug and wait a few sec. This is why i want to set the address manually with static ip, not leased from router A. This way i was hoping i can connect to those device "bridge A & B" when the bridge A to router A link disconnected due to port flapping.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 pm

There's not much what could go wrong. If you add same address as the dynamic one, with no mistakes (so to same interface, with correct netmask), it should work. One more thing, I don't know if there are routes between all subnets, or 192.168.20.0/24 is behind NAT. If it's routed without NAT, you also need a route to 192.168.20.0/24 (dhcp probably sets default one via Router A). Other than that, check if Router B can get the MAC address for static IP address (in IP->ARP). Another possibility is some firewall filters somewhere, but it seems unlikely.

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Yeah like you said. I use the same address aa dynamic one when setting the static ip manually. Also, i don't masquarade traffice from router B, i have properly set up static route to 192.168.20.0/24 on router A, so host in lan of Router A can access the host in router B. I have not set up any firewall on both router A & B at the moment.
Other than that, check if Router B can get the MAC address for static IP address (in IP->ARP). Another possibility is some firewall filters somewhere, but it seems unlikely.
I'll check this tomorrow and get back to you.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How set static ip address for bridge A and B?  [SOLVED]

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 pm

What I meant about routes, was to not forget to add some on bridge devices. Because it they are in 192.168.18.0/24, then by default, they have no idea where to find your PC. So you need either default route and continue from there, or direct route to 192.168.20.0/24 via Router B.

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pm

What I meant about routes, was to not forget to add some on bridge devices. Because it they are in 192.168.18.0/24, then by default, they have no idea where to find your PC. So you need either default route and continue from there, or direct route to 192.168.20.0/24 via Router B.
Hi Sob,
I wanna say thank you, what u said about route for each bridge is spot on. It was that all along! I forgot that if we got ip from dhcp server usually the dhcp client will automatically add the default route. So when I set the static address manually, I don't have any route so the traffic won't know where to go. I already added the static route and they work! :D :D :D :D Now, eventhough my router A is down, I can still access both sxt's using winbox thru IP address.