Community discussions

MikroTik App

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

New IP cloud is coming.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Starting since 6.43rc21 new ip-cloud implementation is available for the first adopters. The feature set for now is the same as in older versions however that is about to change. It has improvements in security, responsiveness and expandability.

Current upgrade path:
1) disable ip-cloud /ip cloud set ddns-enabled=no
this is to remove your entry from the old database, so when you decide to not use the feature in newer version, it would not return your old address.
2) upgrade to verion 6.43rc21 or newer
3) enable the ip-cloud /ip cloud set ddns-enabled=yes

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New IP cloud is coming.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:12 pm

/ip cloud set sdwan-enabled=yes

;)

Samot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm

/ip cloud set sdwan-enabled=yes
Ugh. Just, ugh.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Multi-WAN support for DDNS pretty please?

bommi

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Will we get IPv6 Support?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Will we get CHR support? :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Will the cloud time accuracy be more reasonable?
I mean, I could live with a 2 second error and a 1 second resolution but more than that is really sub-par.
(especially as NTP and SNTP work OK but are not enabled by default as the cloud time option is)

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm

It was maintained backward compatibility with previous versions or the BugFix or Current versions? with the problems kept?

How does MK release a new Cloud that works better only with RC firmware?

I can not put the RC in production.

I prefer to disable the cloud of MK and use a DDNS own that I have configurate.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:29 pm

with the problems kept?
What problems?
How does MK release a new Cloud that works better only with RC firmware?
Any feature is first released in RC. Then it becomes 'current'.
I can not put the RC in production.
You must not do this. Use RC only in controlled test environments.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm

You would need to find something else than serial number to use for hostname. There's System ID, but it seems to be generated randomly, so it might not be unique. It also seems to make a difference between case of letters, so it would not work well with dns either. But I'm sure something could be invented, at least for licensed instances.

Btw, with security being a big topic lately, it would be interesting to know, how this whole thing works. I mean, when there's regular DDNS service, it depends on username/password. Nobody else can know it, so it's not possible to send fake requests for updates. But what is here? I don't see any unique secret unknown to anyone else. If I learn someone's RB serial number, is there anything else than so far unknown algorithm how to generate a valid request?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:47 pm

You would need to find something else than serial number to use for hostname. There's System ID, but it seems to be generated randomly, so it might not be unique. It also seems to make a difference between case of letters, so it would not work well with dns either. But I'm sure something could be invented, at least for licensed instances.
md5sum of the license number? Kinda big, but...

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 pm

It has improvements in security, responsiveness and expandability.
Maybe a little elaboration on this, so I can decide if I care? I use this feature only to locate MikroTik routers I have installed that don’t have static IP addresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Will we get IPv6 Support?
old cloud was v4 only, w/o any theoretic chance for ipv6 support.
cy-bear:~ bat$ host cloud.mikrotik.com
cloud.mikrotik.com has address 81.198.87.240
but RCs use cloud2...
cy-bear:~ bat$ host cloud2.mikrotik.com
cloud2.mikrotik.com has address 159.148.147.201
cloud2.mikrotik.com has address 159.148.172.251
cloud2.mikrotik.com has IPv6 address 2a02:610:7501:1000::201
cloud2.mikrotik.com has IPv6 address 20a2:610:7501:4000::251
now putting it to the test:
a box w/o ipv4 address, but full access to ipv6 internet supposed to be able to connect the v6 hosts.
[admin@tgcpe2] /ip cloud> /ip dns cache print 
Flags: S - static 
 #   NAME          ADDRESS                                         TTL         
 0 S router.lan    192.168.88.1                                    1d          
 1   ttt0-cegle... 2001:4c48:xxxxx::1                             40s         
 2   tgcpenms.d... 2001:4c48:xxxxx::3                               20m6s       
 3   cloud2.mik... 159.148.172.251                                 1h16m16s    
 4   cloud2.mik... 159.148.147.201                                 1h16m16s  

[admin@tgcpe2] /ip cloud> /ip cloud print 
    ddns-enabled: yes
     update-time: no
  public-address: 188.6.129.21
we're not there yet.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:19 am

To give more authoritative weight behind some excellent answers given by other users:
1) do not put RC in production - all new features come to RC, then get into current and only then it is placed into bugfix.
2) backwards compatibility was considered and then removed. So no, to use this, you will need to wait for stable and/or bugfix release to use in production
3) the new cloud works much faster, so the precision will be better - this is for setups where you cannot run NTP/SNTP or don't need the time so precise. This is enabled by default to get some, any time for logs where a user could benefit from seeing a time of occurrence. The moment you get NTP/SNTP time IP-cloud time service stops even if enabled.
4) it is not possible to send fake updates to the IP-cloud. To the IP-cloud your router is unique.
5) CHR - it is complicated. There is a lot of things that have to be resolved for this to become a reality.

> I use this feature only to locate MikroTik routers I have installed that don’t have static IP addresses.
this is the intended use - you are our target audience for the IP-cloud's DDNS feature

> Will we get IPv6 Support?
Yes.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:57 am

3) the new cloud works much faster, so the precision will be better - this is for setups where you cannot run NTP/SNTP or don't need the time so precise. This is enabled by default to get some, any time for logs where a user could benefit from seeing a time of occurrence.
I completely understand that the cloud time is based on a http timestamp so it offers only 1-second resolution and cannot set the clock very accurately, but that was never an excuse for serving time that is wrong by 10 minutes.
It is important that the cloud servers themselves are well synchronized to NTP time and that this situation is actively monitored by MikroTik and action is taken when the served time is noticed to be drifting away from correct time.
This is already true for the IP cloud as it exists now. At this moment the cloud time is ahead by 6 seconds! Why?? By configuring NTP on the servers you can easily keep it within 10 milliseconds so the actually served time is well within the 1 second resolution of the method used.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:06 pm

> I use this feature only to locate MikroTik routers I have installed that don’t have static IP addresses.
this is the intended use - you are our target audience for the IP-cloud's DDNS feature
OK... so, as I don't really care about using it for NTP or on IPV6, does this new implementation give me anything superior for my needs that would give me incentive to turn it on? Maybe I have overlooked an explanation, but I don't think one has yet been presented.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 pm

4) it is not possible to send fake updates to the IP-cloud. To the IP-cloud your router is unique.
It's nice to hear. I just hoped we could get a little "peek under the hood", how it works. And please don't say "secret algorithm", because when it has to be on every single router, one bored person with decompiler could be all what's needed to make it not secret anymore.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I can imagine some possible ways how it could be done. E.g. if each router had some unique secret (password) stored on flash, and if you had database with <serial number>=<secret>, that would be good enough, because nobody could get the secret from someone else's router. But it would have to be something you had even before DDNS was introduced, because it works even on older RBs. Knowing that you have something like that (or even better) would help us sleep better.

And you missed this one:
Multi-WAN support for DDNS pretty please?
If it would be possible to add multiple DDNS clients (with some reasonable limit), something like (just a quick thought, there might be better way):
/ip cloud ddns
add name=wan1 routing-table=isp1
add name=wan2 routing-table=isp2
which would give us wan1.<serial>.sn.mynetname.net, etc.., it would be fantastic. Or it could be directly linked to DHCP or PPPoE client.

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am

To give more authoritative weight behind some excellent answers given by other users:
1) do not put RC in production - all new features come to RC, then get into current and only then it is placed into bugfix.
2) backwards compatibility was considered and then removed. So no, to use this, you will need to wait for stable and/or bugfix release to use in production
3) the new cloud works much faster, so the precision will be better - this is for setups where you cannot run NTP/SNTP or don't need the time so precise. This is enabled by default to get some, any time for logs where a user could benefit from seeing a time of occurrence. The moment you get NTP/SNTP time IP-cloud time service stops even if enabled.
5) CHR - it is complicated. There is a lot of things that have to be resolved for this to become a reality.

> Will we get IPv6 Support?
Yes.
ok, thanks..

@chupaka: Chupa essa!!!!

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Huh?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Huh?
Literal translation: "Suck this".

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Sounds a bit roughly :) Let his momma slap him

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 am

@janisk: I have multiple Clients with IKEv2 Server with RSA (Certificates). Those Certificates are made with ddns hostname (7dgfdghgssaa1.sn.mynetname.net) from IP Cloud.will the hostname remain the same. If not I have a big problem since I have to reissue all certificates to users on multiple sites.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 am

@janisk: I have multiple Clients with IKEv2 Server with RSA (Certificates). Those Certificates are made with ddns hostname (7dgfdghgssaa1.sn.mynetname.net) from IP Cloud.will the hostname remain the same. If not I have a big problem since I have to reissue all certificates to users on multiple sites.
You can avoid the reissue problem by creating a CNAME, with the old name, pointing to the new one. Not ideal, I agree, but keeps You from reissuing the certificates.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am

You can avoid the reissue problem by creating a CNAME, with the old name, pointing to the new one. Not ideal, I agree, but keeps You from reissuing the certificates.
I don’t understand the solution. Certainly the administrator of mynetname.net could do that, but that’s not him.

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:26 am

I don’t understand the solution. Certainly the administrator of mynetname.net could do that, but that’s not him.
As pointed out it is not possible to add a CNAME for domain that is not mine :).
Maybe it will be enough to Re-issue IKEv2 VPN Server Cert and set it on VPN Server and redistribute CA public Cert to users if needed (if they only have public Cert of VPN Server and not CA)...

Damn I wish a native solution for LetsEncrypt (DNS-01 would be enaugh for me :))

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

The hostnames will be the same for the same router. Do not worry about that.

If anything - the new DNS servers are already up and running and responding to all querries.

The domain name will always be tied to the serial number of the router. If you are going to change routers - then you better create on your your own DNS server CNAME entry that points to the <SN>.sn.mynetname.net FQDN. It will not be possible to assign your 7dgfdghgssaa1.sn.mynetname.net to another router.

And sure you can create an entry in bind something akin to this:
my.domain.example. IN CNAME 7dgfdghgssaa1.sn.mynetname.net.
This is not only that is allowed, that is encouraged.

p.s. yes, the dots in that snippet are important. all of them.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm

When you have your own DNS, why would you bother with something like "IP cloud"? You can make the router update your own DNS directly.
The usability of something like "IP cloud" is for those that want something like this without doing the work themselves.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:34 pm

When you have your own DNS, why would you bother with something like "IP cloud"? You can make the router update your own DNS directly.
The usability of something like "IP cloud" is for those that want something like this without doing the work themselves.
it is all about ease of use. Just check the box and you got your static FQDN for your router. Got your own DNS server, use those DNS names for CNAMEs.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Not to use ip cloud is much easier than using it. Own dns is reliable and stable working in comparison to mikrotik ip cloud service. The same applies to time server too. I wish ip cloud related settings were fully off by default. And any other even future calling home features also.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:37 pm

To make ip cloud anything near useful it should provide a VPN service for management.
You create an account, then you register your routers under it and they (optionally) setup a VPN connection to the cloud server and you can connect
your winbox to the devices registered within your account.
That would add some value as it enables the remote management of routers that are on dynamic addresses, by users on dynamic addresses,
without exposing the management ports on the internet. And it also works for routers that are behind ISP NAT routers or CGNAT.
The IP cloud servers would be VPN servers that offer separate virtual networks per customer.

(in fact my initial understanding of the IP Cloud function was that it provided this functionality, instead of being yet another DYNDNS clone)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Actually this would put the mikrotik in the middleman role. It has to be considered as unsafe. I understand that some people do not care about it, but I rather build my own management network instead of rely on services that I cannot control and that can do whatever I do not know what above what they promote.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Actually this would put the mikrotik in the middleman role. It has to be considered as unsafe. I understand that some people do not care about it, but I rather build my own management network instead of rely on services that I cannot control and that can do whatever I do not know what above what they promote.
Me too, but that is why I don't use IP cloud and probably you don't use it either. But, i can understand why a service like that would be worthwile, considering the vulnerability problems we have seen lately.
Those affected usually had enabled remote management without configuring a VPN. Apparently it is too difficult for many of those wannabe WiSP guys to setup a secure management network, and MikroTik could help by providing that facility via IP cloud.
(of course IP cloud would be nothing more than a passthrough, so authentication of the admin to the router in winbox would still be in place)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm

When you have your own DNS, why would you bother with something like "IP cloud"?
Because there's difference between "domain with DNS servers under your control" and "domain with DNS hosted somewhere else". If you have own servers, you don't need MikroTik's DDNS (even though it might still be easier for some to use it, as it's just one click away). But with hosted DNS (e.g. offered by domain registrar as free bonus with domain), there's often no automated access and all changes have to be made manually in some web interface. That's where CNAME is the right solution.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

My mistake - I misread the domain: thought it were his own.

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:37 am

The hostnames will be the same for the same router. Do not worry about that.

The domain name will always be tied to the serial number of the router. If you are going to change routers - then you better create on your your own DNS server CNAME entry that points to the <SN>.sn.mynetname.net FQDN. It will not be possible to assign your 7dgfdghgssaa1.sn.mynetname.net to another router.
Thanks Janisk for the confirmation, that everthing would stay the same only better (in my case :).. no pun intended).

As for why DDNS in IP Cloud. Sometimes I cannot get static IP and in past I have relied on DynDNS and others.. But now almost all want same sort of 30 day or something to renew the hostname (free editions). Therefore the IP Cloud is free and simply working. Not to mention manual script/Schedule to update the IP...

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm

While you find some feature not so useful to yourself and relentlessly bash them - consider that there are other features made by RouterOS developer team that you are using. This one particular - IP-Cloud - is touted by you as very unsafe and understandably so - MikroTik hasn't disclosed information - but from time to time your posts look like just bashing.

Ona brighter note - there are new features in testing, new features in the development and one feature that just came out of testing and is included in new RC - IPv6 support.

this is what "IPv6 support" entails -
*) DNS requests via IPV6
*) IP-Cloud services (DDNS update, timezone) via IPv6
*) AAAA support for *.ns.mynetname.net domains

For now - there is only AAAA OR A entry support. Due to nature of RouterOS - if you have a dual-stack router and want the IP-Cloud address to be IPv6 you have to force it via /ip dns static entry - add cloud2.mikrotik.com with these IPv6 addresses 20a2:610:7501:4000::251 and 2a02:610:7501:1000::201

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Bashing? Maybe you feel it so. On the other hand, I am proud user of mikrotik products and software. It is full of features I like and use. I don't hide it. I advice to use mikrotik to everyone who wants to listen reasons. The opinion that ip cloud is not generally good feature and above that it can be misused (and I don't suspect mikrotik, but whoever can hack you, don't forget) is just one of few negatives. Nothing is purely white, there are also black sides. It is fair to point at them and open a discussion about. And when noone cares? Fine, why not, you can freely build your own Facebook (don't want to write "army") of routers... But I will do everything to prevent my routers to participate.

Do you think I do anything bad?

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:42 pm

i love ip cloud. for me is working flawless.

+easy to setup. just one click to enable it. (modem=bridge mode or wan static ip address)
+free. you buy even the the cheapest hap lite and its build into ros.
+winbox address book. add your clients ip cloud address and you have one easy support address book.

i can connect to my customers routers from my home/office so easy without having to test long scripts like dydns, noip etc.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:49 pm

- when used without VPN, it requires the admin interface (winbox, ssh, webfig) to be exposed on internet, which is quite dangerous.

To have such remote support of customer routers, at least you should config a VPN service which you can connect via the DNS name (SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, OVPN).
Or, setup some "port knocking" firewall.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm

- when used without VPN, it requires the admin interface (winbox, ssh, webfig) to be exposed on internet, which is quite dangerous.
Isn't the same with dyndns, noip or your own ddns server? :)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:13 pm

To have such remote support of customer routers, at least you should config a VPN service which you can connect via the DNS name (SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, OVPN).
Or, setup some "port knocking" firewall.
But I (and many others, I think) use it exactly to be able to connect at my house VPN!

We, who have dynamic IP, need something like this. It is not perfect, but is good enough - and it's improving.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Are we still talking about this?
viewtopic.php?p=669439#p669439

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:24 pm

It would be nice when that was part of IPcloud, but as long as it isn't you need to setup your own VPN or other security solution.
I'm afraid many of the users who claim to have benefit from the IPcloud DDNS are not aware of that and just connect directly to the DNS name using Winbox.
(after having modified the firewall to make that work)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 pm

It would be nice when that was part of IPcloud, but as long as it isn't you need to setup your own VPN or other security solution.
I'm afraid many of the users who claim to have benefit from the IPcloud DDNS are not aware of that and just connect directly to the DNS name using Winbox.
(after having modified the firewall to make that work)
There isn't a solution to this problem: we can't make a knife that will cut meat but not your fingers. The tool exists - it's up to the user to learn it.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:34 pm

There isn't a solution to this problem: we can't make a knife that will cut meat but not your fingers. The tool exists - it's up to the user to learn it.
The advantage of a VPN integrated with IP cloud would be that it could also work on routers that are behind NAT, either CGNAT or a local ISP router.
Also, IP cloud appears to be in the "one click solution without too much learning" area so it would never hurt to have such features in it.

Of course I would not use this feature - in fact most of the routers I manage do true routing, not some form of NAT, and are not directly connected
to internet. I can manage them over the "local" network. But I see an opportinity here to add some value.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:28 pm

The advantage of a VPN integrated with IP cloud would be that it could also work on routers that are behind NAT, either CGNAT or a local ISP router.
Also, IP cloud appears to be in the "one click solution without too much learning" area so it would never hurt to have such features in it.

Of course I would not use this feature - in fact most of the routers I manage do true routing, not some form of NAT, and are not directly connected
to internet. I can manage them over the "local" network. But I see an opportinity here to add some value.
I'd hate to see a solution that used a third part network, besides my own. Also, it's a can of worms: all that GDPR compliance and whatnot. We already have several VPNs to choose from, and OpenVPN is quite NAT friendly. Not the eight wonderful, being TCP, but more than enough to administration purposes.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 pm

It's necessary just to have public ip and run l2tp tunnels to there from each site in your custody.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:47 pm

there we are: 6.43rc40

Other changes in this release:

!) cloud - added support for licensed CHR instances (including trial);

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:33 am

Had to make some limitations for whom IP-Cloud is available on CHR. Now that we can auth your CHR you can have the domain and other goodies that are available and ones that are coming down the pipe.

ckleea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Will it be available for x86 router soon?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm

This was discussed in 6.43rc thread, but here is better place for it.

IMHO the cloud DDNS needs user-configurable option what protocol to use (IPv4 only, IPv6 only, both). Ideally with "both" as default, because if I have dualstack and IPv4 fails (perhaps by user mistake, which is more likely than real outage), IPv6 is very nice backup option (for some purposes at least).

Based on current description, only A record gets added for dualstack, and if IPv4 fails, user will sit and try hard to remember what the last IPv6 address was? It doesn't sound very good.

Ultimate solution would be support for multiple subdomains (for multi-WAN purposes) with suggested option available for each item. That way there could be A-only subdomain for e.g. OpenVPN server (to not slow down client trying AAAA; alternatively, you could add IPv6 support to OpenVPN, I wouldn't object) and another A/AAAA for administration. Well, it might get a little too complex, but it would be nice.

Another possibility, to keep it simple, automatic A-only and AAAA-only subdomains could be added by server (xxx.sn.mynetname.net with A/AAAA, ip4.xxx.sn.mynetname.net with A only, ip6.xxx.sn.mynetname.net with AAAA only) and user could use the right one for each intended purpose.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 am

There are some not so clear scenarios. However, in your secnario if your IPv4 fails and router still has connectivity via IPv6 - in about 60 seconds router will register IPv6 address as cloud address and $host command will suddenly return IPv6 AAAA entry.

edit: I have some more scenarios in my head when I want this to work but it will not in the current state. We are working hard to resolve those.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am

It's nice to see a great feature being refined that bit more. I have noticed recently the "old" cloud is quite slow to respond so maybe this is the reason why?
I'd be lost without IP>Cloud for hairpin NAT scenarios on dynamic WAN IP's.

Resnais
just joined

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am

It looks like the old[stable] cloud implementation does not work for me anymore. (using v6.42.6 on routers)

After pressing force update in ip cloud settings (ddns enabled) it says request timed out.
Also "nslookup serialnr.sn.mynetname.net ns1.kissthenet.net" still shows the old address.

Your experiences?

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:51 pm

I am amazed by the amount of responses and effort from MT team for a set of 2 features that can easily be replaced by ntp and duckdns, both being better alternatives.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:08 am

I dont care for the alternatives. I am HAPPY with ip-cloud. working from the start 100% for me.
Free dyndns per device. What more can u ask
Last edited by freemannnn on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Indeed.

Even time precission is enough for coarse log analysis (did it happen this morning or a fortnight ago?). Anybody requiring "better" services are more than welcome to use alternatives.

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Free dyndns per device. What more can u ask
Well some sort of control and completely brand agnostic solution... Not to say there are hundreds of more important features requests than IP Cloud or Kids Control viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45934 to tackle first and clearly most of them cannot be replaced by a less than 10 lines script or by an existing component supporting an established standard !

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:28 pm

While you find some feature not so useful to yourself and relentlessly bash them - consider that there are other features made by RouterOS developer team that you are using. This one particular - IP-Cloud - is touted by you as very unsafe and understandably so - MikroTik hasn't disclosed information - but from time to time your posts look like just bashing.

Ona brighter note - there are new features in testing, new features in the development and one feature that just came out of testing and is included in new RC - IPv6 support.

this is what "IPv6 support" entails -
*) DNS requests via IPV6
*) IP-Cloud services (DDNS update, timezone) via IPv6
*) AAAA support for *.ns.mynetname.net domains

For now - there is only AAAA OR A entry support. Due to nature of RouterOS - if you have a dual-stack router and want the IP-Cloud address to be IPv6 you have to force it via /ip dns static entry - add cloud2.mikrotik.com with these IPv6 addresses 20a2:610:7501:4000::251 and 2a02:610:7501:1000::201
While you're doing this DNS stuff, is there any chance that conditional-forwarders might be added into the RouterOS DNS resolver? i.e. relay any requests for company.local to 192.168.1.1, for a branch office scenario?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:20 pm

@carl0s: It's not really related to this, but yes, it would be nice. Every other DNS resolver supports it, and no, keeping another machine around only because of such simple feature is not good solution.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:33 pm

coming to the router near you soon:
$ host <serial>.sn.mynetname.net
<serial>.sn.mynetname.net has address 192.168.88.1
<serial>.sn.mynetname.net has IPv6 address 2001:db8:1337:beef::ada

amokkatmt

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Any plans to add wildcard hostnames support? I mean "firsthost.123456.sn.mynetname.net" . If not - why?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:53 am

Please explain what that would solve? If you have several routers - they all are eligible for the IP Cloud address.

edit: If you have a company and want all routers under same "umbrella", then you can create CNAME entries in your local DNS server for your domain.

ivanfm

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:25 pm

coming to the router near you soon:
$ host <serial>.sn.mynetname.net
<serial>.sn.mynetname.net has address 192.168.88.1
<serial>.sn.mynetname.net has IPv6 address 2001:db8:1337:beef::ada

Suggestion : add an option in cloud service to add an extra personal prefix.

like "xyz" when user define personal prefix the name will became

xyz.<serial>.sn.mynetname.net

this make difficult for brute force detect all mikrotiks in the world and make difficult in case of new vulnerability to attack all .

Currently is easy to make a brute force search for mikrotik devices using the cloud service as the names follow an simple pattern and is just an DNS query.

ckleea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 am

I am also looking forward to have support in x86

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:49 am

I am also looking forward to have support in x86
I hear mumbles of CHR being available from 6.43 so there could quite possibly be x86 implementation.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 am

Currently, there are no plans to bring it to the x86 platform.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Currently is easy to make a brute force search for mikrotik devices using the cloud service as the names follow an simple pattern and is just an DNS query.
The serial number consists of 12 hexadecimal characters.
I wouldn't call making 184884258895036416 (12^16) dns lookups 'easy'.

It's easier to just use masscan and scan the whole IPv4 address space for open port 8291.

Splash
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:39 pm

You think there is any chance in the future to support multi-wan setups? One option is to prepend or append the interface number to the dyndns hostname?

pppoe-out1 = xxxxx-1.sn.mynetname.net
pppoe-out2 = xxxxx-2.sn.mynetname.net

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 am

Finally a change worth talking about

6.44beta9:
!) cloud - added command "/system backup cloud" for backup storing on cloud (CLI only);

Some details:

*) Only aes-sha265 encrypted files are accepted.
*) If you save the secret-download-key, one will be able to download the backup file from another router.
*) one command to make, encrypt and upload
*) one command to download and apply
*) communication with IP Cloud servers is fully encrypted (so your encrypted file is transferred over an encrypted channel)
*) one backup file per router
*) free
of course, if you just download the file, then it has to be applied via /system backup load

edit: specified encryption method used for backup file that is accepted, file slot count = 1 per router. free

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:55 am

Ah finally some new functionality :D
Are you considering implementing a management VPN function?

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:19 am

!) cloud - added command "/system backup cloud" for backup storing on cloud (CLI only);

is this for backup configuration to cloud? free?
if yes VERY NICE MIKROTIK.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:22 am

yes, 1 file slot per router and it is free for all the platforms that can use IP Cloud

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am

free cloud backup. very nice really nice.
one tip, there is option to schedule to backup every xx days to cloud automatically. (of course you can do it with scheduler, but i am just saying)

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:53 pm

yes, 1 file slot per router and it is free for all the platforms that can use IP Cloud
will there maybe an API we could use to interact with the backup file?
my aim is to have a "remote controlled" set of CPEs... i make changes to the "cloud-twin" and it is (pulled) "replicated" to the physical one.

maybe in a way that it could import the file w/o hurting device specific things, like MAC addresses.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:34 pm

not really, as restoring backup file will replace MAC addresses and EVERYTHING else. After that you can reset mac addresses of the interfaces on the router. But that is it.

sup5

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:38 pm

It would be nice to have the option NOT to restore or backup MAC-addresses on HW-interfaces (Ethernet and Wireless).
Restoring MAC-addresses of logical interfaces like bridges, EoIP, VPLS and the like is useful though.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:19 pm

This actually is not related to the IP Cloud functionality anymore. For the IP Cloud Backup feature, it was important to be able to effortlessly upload the backup file and retrieve it afterwards. There is other stuff coming related to IP Cloud Backup in the future (regarding ease of access) however that is in no way related to the basic functionality of the backup system itself.

So the points are:
1) easily create backup and upload
2) retrieve and/or apply
3) in case of the router damage make the backup file available from the other device

florid

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:39 am

Would be great if the IP cloud can expand the feature to whole configuration, something like Cloud Winbox.
User can login the cloud portal to modify and customize the configuration, when the router box connects to Internet, automatically grab updated cloud configuration and deploy it.
Two beauties:
1. reduce the risk of exposing winbox to Internet
2. easy bulk deployment

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Really? Everyone wants to have a supersecured router and you would give all your login details to a cloud?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Really? Everyone wants to have a supersecured router and you would give all your login details to a cloud?
It certainly has some applications. I have been suggesting a management VPN to be part of IP cloud as well.
People have trouble arranging secure management of their routers that are on dynamic addresses, behind CGNAT, or otherwise inconvenient to access, and it could be nice to register them in a cloud system so you can manage routers that are not connectable from outside.

Of course the access to that cloud system should be done in a secure way. But remember, when some fault is found there it can be resolved by updates.
2nd factor authentication can be used. This is all much better than having 200.000 vulnerable routers in the field without a way to get them updated.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:15 pm

ManagementVPN as such is not planned for now. The main reason is the security implications.

thobias

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:39 pm

You think there is any chance in the future to support multi-wan setups? One option is to prepend or append the interface number to the dyndns hostname?

This! We need to be able to monitor backup connections that have dynamic IP.

faraujo88
just joined

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:47 am

Its a "free" service. I think that is usefull as it works actually. And U can manipulate from which link ddns works on it.

Enviado de meu MI 9 usando o Tapatalk

evince

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Its a "free" service. I think that is usefull as it works actually. And U can manipulate from which link ddns works on it.

Enviado de meu MI 9 usando o Tapatalk
Hello,

Can you explain me how to choose on witch interface ddns will work please?