Community discussions

MikroTik App

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

DHCP with option82 authentication, How?

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:45 am

We are doing a new install based on DSLAMs and for ease of management we want to use DHCP authentication with Option82. I have the DSLAM's setup to inject circuit ID information
What I don't know is how is how to authenticate based on this information. Cause everything i'm reading mentions authenticating based on MAC, but we really don't care what the MAC address is

Example: A user from unit 27 goes to reception and says "I want an internet service". All that should be required is to look up Unit 27 in the log book, find that it is connected to DSLAM 11:22:33:44:55:66 on port 0/1/15. We just add the user '112233445566 0/1/15' into the RADIUS server and thats it, done. Any router/PC/whatever plugged into that DSLAM port will be authenticated

But I don't know how to do this and what config we need. We are going to be using MikroTik routers onsite.
- Can we use our DMASoft RadiusManager server for this?
- MikroTik UserManager?
- Something else?

What config do I need on the MikroTik routers onsite. Should they be setup as DHCP servers but with RADIUS authentication. Or should they be setup as DHCP relays instead?
Do the routers need to modify the DHCP or RADIUS request in some way? i.e. override the username with the circuit ID information (not sure if this is even possible?)

Any help would be appreciated

Gerlach76
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: DHCP with option82 authentication, How?

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:59 pm

have you found a solution?