Community discussions

MikroTik App

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

cloud to configure DDNS error

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Hello, I use the Mikrotik cloud to configure DDNS.
But I see an error message with force update.
Error massage
DDNS sever received request from xx.xx.xxx.xx but your local ip is 192.168.0.xx is my internal IP address.

external IP -> ISP router internal IP range 192.168.0.0/24 -> DMZ -> Mikrotik router.

How can I solve that?

Thanks for your help.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: cloud to configure DDNS error

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:06 pm

More a warning/hint than error. When the router is behind NAT, you can't connect to it directly (as I have no doubt you know), unless you forward some port(s) from upstream router with public IP address. So when it's detected, you're notified about it, and you can make necessary changes.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you show me how to put those ports in order?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:16 am

I can try, but to be honest, I'm starting to doubt myself, if I understood you correctly. Because if I did, it's too simple problem, and a little unexpected question from you. :)

Anyway, DDNS in RouterOS is only simple service that allows to point hostname to your IP address. It's no tunnelling service that would allow connection to router even when it's behing NAT. So when it's behind one, DDNS gets the public IP address used by router to connect to internet, i.e. the one from NAT device. In your case it's the address from ISP router. It's useless by default, because when something tries to connect to it, connection ends up on ISP router. Then either the service on ISP router responds (if there is some), or the connection is refused.

Solution should be simple, ISP router needs to be configured to forward some or all ports to your router in its DMZ. If you have access to it's admin interface, you can do it yourself, look for "port forwarding", "DMZ host" or some similar config. If not, you'd have to ask ISP to do it for you. What you need depends on what you want to use (WinBox is tcp/8291, WebFig is standard http(s) tcp/80 or tcp/443, SSH is tcp/22, etc..). Select the port(s) you need and configure them to go to your 192.168.0.xx. Sometimes there's an option to forward everything to given internal IP address.

If you don't need it for router itself, but another service in router's LAN, you'd still do the same, and then you'd add standard port forwarding on your router from 192.168.0.xx to server in LAN, e.g.
/ip firewall nat
add chain=dstnat dst-address=192.168.0.xx protocol=tcp dst-port=80,443 action=dst-nat to-address=<server's address>

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks Sob for your clear explenation.
I try and let you know if it works.