Community discussions

MikroTik App

Poki
just joined
Topic Author

Restore corrupted Routerboard with damaged Eth1

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Hello.

Recently I got my hands on a RB450G, with damaged Ethernet1 port(got hit by a thunderstrike).

It had very old RouterOS - 4.11.

I upgraded to 5.26 - it went ok.
Then I tried upgrading to the latest version - 6.42.4, and unfortunately something went wrong.

I am getting "ERROR: no system package found!" and then kernel panic and the device just wont boot.

I tried updating the bootloader to the latest version 3.41, hoping that RouterOS will boot, or that there will be more options in the RouterBOOT environment - no luck here.

I am pretty sure a lot of other people have the same issue, but so far I couldn't find a solution to this case.

Maybe there is something that I am missing.

Please advice me what to do.

Is there any way to make Netinstall work with any other port?
How can I fix/replace the damaged Eth1 port?
Can i upload the RouterOS image somehow, by means of JTAG or something? (seems not possible through the serial interface and xmodem, like the bootloader..).

Currently my only option seems swapping the NAND flash with a one that has valid image on it.. but I probably have to find the exact same model Routerboard.

Best regards.

Poki
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Restore corrupted Routerboard with damaged Eth1

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Anyone?

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Throw away the RB, if it has been hit by a thunderstrike there's no software update that could solve the problem.
P.S. if you update from version 5 to 6 you have to upgrade to bugfix version of 6, for example 5.25 check for updates makes download 6.40.8 bugfix.

Poki
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Throw away the RB, if it has been hit by a thunderstrike there's no software update that could solve the problem.
P.S. if you update from version 5 to 6 you have to upgrade to bugfix version of 6, for example 5.25 check for updates makes download 6.40.8 bugfix.
Please read my post.

The Routerboard itself is just fine.. only port 1 is damaged..
I never expected to fix that with a software update.. lol

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:31 am

Only eth1 is bootable in such situations. I asked mikrotik to allow selection of other ports to get this role instead of eth1 many years ago without any answer. Either you find and repair the physical damage of eth1 or throw it away. It doesn't worth to repair it.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Please read my post.

The Routerboard itself is just fine.. only port 1 is damaged..
I never expected to fix that with a software update.. lol
I’m with the others that suggest tossing it. Frankly I would not trust any electronic device that I depend on to work reliably that took a lightning strike. That is a recipe for ongoing problems.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 pm

taking in count today you can replace that rb450g with a rb750gr3 for only 60 US and get better performance i think is a good idea to discard that device, the cost of the repair may not be justified

you can recycle the power supply and case for a new rb450gx4 8)

and learn the lesson:

do not let outdate your devices, upgrading software can be problematic because of the outdated software, yo have to do periodic maintenance and update

if you have a eth1 failed dont upgrade, and use it as a switch