Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Please add numbers on Y-axis in Bandwidth Test

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Hello,

Please add numbers on Y-axis in Bandwidth Test
image_bt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please add numbers on Y-axis in Bandwidth Test

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 pm

+ 1

hatta0713
just joined

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:03 am

+ 1

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:54 am

You know you can hold mouse button down on chart and measure every recorded entry? Once you start dealing with Y-axis, people will start asking for X-axis, later zooming and suddenly, graphing will be over-complicated.

mikruser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:09 am

vecernik87
You are troll? Try mouse over my screenshot.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am

vecernik87
You are troll? Try mouse over my screenshot.
No need for insults. Try mouse over BEFORE screenshot ...

mikruser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 am

We need numbers on the Y-axis so that they can be seen in the screenshots (if you do not understand this from the first message).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Yes, and everyone is telling you how to do it:
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 12.03.30.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikruser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 pm

we need more than one number, we need a few numbers (at least two - at the bottom and at the top)
image_bt_num.png

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Not possible and not planned, sorry. You should use SNMP monitoring tools for more advanced picture of your traffic. The graphs on the interfaces are for a quick overview of the current situation. Use any SNMP monitor for what you want.

mikruser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm

this is a joke? how do you imagine a bandwidth test through snmp?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Monitor the interface while doing the test, where is the problem?

mikruser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Bandwidth Test shows results every 1 second. Snmp monitoring software can not show so frequently.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Not true. Ask however much you need, SNMP will give information in one second or less, depends on the software. Please just test it, like I did.
watch -n0.2 snmpget -c public routerIP .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.1

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:40 pm

According to my experience the SNMP load is not negligible and when the polling is over tested link you could get no answer easily. So the SNMP is not the adequate tool in this case.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm

Why not use an iperf3 utility with a GUI? You should not be connected to the device under test, either way.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Why don't you just add those two numbers? Even if we can use the mouse over ... it's time consuming, you need to remember the range when observing the graph, ... instead of only opening graph one needs to exercise their left wrist :roll:

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 pm

we need more than one number, we need a few numbers (at least two - at the bottom and at the top)image_bt_num.png
I agree that having the min-max values shown at all times is useful .

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:37 am

After looking at #9 I must change my opinion. It might be doable and useful, however not as it is suggested
Firstly, there is no real reason for "min" value as it is always zero.
Secondly I believe mikrotik has some standartized framework for GUI so adding those non-standard elements outside of chart area might be complicated. HOWEVER, putting this "max" number inside of the chart (preferably on left-top corner of the chart) might be worth of try.

@normis, can you please consider that? There is already box with Rx/Tx actual values in bottom-left corner so we know that it is possible to put text element in the chart. Also it is obvious that max value is recorded because it is used for chart scaling... What if you simply display this "max" value in top-left corner? Once user know the max value, he can interpolate value of each grid-line. This might really make things easier and I bet it would not be that hard as real axis scale.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Of course there is a reason for min value. It's not always zero.
You are not thinking this through. If for example you have constant traffic between 2 and 10 mbps, then the min value for that traffic at that time will not be zero but 2mbps.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:26 am

Of course there is a reason for min value. It's not always zero.
You are not thinking this through. If for example you have constant traffic between 2 and 10 mbps, then the min value for that traffic at that time will not be zero but 2mbps.
I haven't seen such chart in winbox and on purpose I tested constant 20Mbps (it of course varied between 19-20) traffic for over half hour to verify, if only max value is adjusted or if also min value is adjusted. I would not write such claim without checking it first.
If you have different expecience, please let me know in which window you observed it. also let me know if there were some special conditions. Also screenshot would be lovely.

here is detailed description:

btest, TCP, both, local TX 30M, remote TX 20M. After few secs, without stopping, change local TX to 22M and hit "run" again. Thanks to this, you will notice scaling change, once the first few seconds are discarded from memory and that means there are no more "zero" values displayed on the chart.
Based on your theory, min value (lowest pixel of the chart) should be approximately 20M while max value (highest pixel of the chart) should be 22M. But that is not what we observe:
2018-07-21_1043.png
As you can see, traffic has no drops and is constantly on TX22M/RX20M with slight variations. It was running like this for almost half hour (since I replied till this edit)
Based on your description, scaling of chart should ajdust the way that we will see almost no red (RX) line (just a couple of pixels on bottom) because min value of chart will be close to 20M while blue lines (TX) lines will fill almost whole area, because they are close to 22M. And that is clearly not happening.
Actually, if you download the image, zoom it in and start counting pixels, you will find out that difference between blue and red lines is about 6 pixels. That means 6px represents 2M difference between our RX and TX. 1px therefore represents 2M/6=333k difference approximately. Whole height of blue lines is around 73px which turns into 73*333k=24M Whole height of red lines is about 67px which turns into 67*333k=22M There is clearly some imprecision but in overal, you get the picture, right? Lowest (min) point of chart is definitely zero. Always. It does not adjust similarly to Highest (max) point.

feel free to bring some opposite proof :) I am always happy for constructive discussion. But stating claims without proof is just waste of time.
Last edited by vecernik87 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:04 am

It's not a matter of which window. Every window that has a chart is the same. You essentially have minimum and maximum values for all the points in the chart (not points not currently shown in the chart).

It's a matter of what you view (range) in the graph at any given moment. That's the data from which you get the min/max values. Not what could potentially be or was the lowest (0) at some other time.
If your graph shows the last 1 hour and during that hour the lowest traffic you have had was 20mbps, then the min value is 20mbps, not 0.
Sure, the hour before that you may have had 0 traffic at some point. That does not mean that the minimum value for this hour is also 0.

This is not winbox specific.

But in case of winbox, even with your test I don't understand how you cannot see that the min value can be higher than zero after you run the test for several minutes and the only thing you see on the chart is 19 to 20mbps.
You said it yourself that it varied between 19 and 20. So the min value was 19Mbps and the max 20Mbps. How could it be zero if all you see is 19 to 20Mbps?
Screenshot_28.png
On this graph (interface traffic, not btest - but it's the exact same principle) the lowest Tx value is 8.8Mbps.
For the data you CAN see (not the data that has passed or will come) there is no point at which there was 0 traffic.
Hence the min value can certainly be higher than zero.

I think you are not considering the fact that you calculate the min/max/avg values on a graph based on the data that is shown at any given time, not other available data at other time ranges.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:15 am

OHHH! now i see the misunderstanding. You are talking about Max/Min/Avg values of displayed data, but this whole topic is about Y-Axis scale... So I was talking about min/max value of the chart scale.

Originaly, I was against adding scale as it is complicated, but then (after reading post #9) i realized it does not need to be whole scale, just the max number, which clearly defines scale, because scale asways starts on zero and ends on this max recorded value (before it gets discarded)

Remember what Normis said - charts are just quick overview. Asking them to add max/min/avg would be instantly denied. However adding just max value as scale representation would actually give significant value to the chart because at any point, it is instantly visible what are we looking at.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:43 am

Adding min/max values as shown in the screenshot-mockup on post #9 is easy in principle.
They already have all the points drawn in the chart along with each point's value (otherwise we couldn't click on the chart and get each point's value number), so they just need to take the lowest and the highest values of all points drawn and show them somewhere.

If it's a limitation of the way they have implemented the charts in winbox, that is another story.
But those 2 numbers (min/max) are easily available when you have already plotted a chart and already have all the values for all the points in the chart.

In any case, having min/max values for what it's shown currently (not historical) is very useful.
With a glance you instantly can tell the range of the bandwidth without having to click on the chart or watch the latest number and do a rough estimation by eyeballing the rest of the graph.

I have a winbox running at all times on a dedicated monitor with many interface windows open to check the traffic in real time.
Having these two numbers would be very useful in this scenario.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 am

I fully agree that it is easy in principle.
I also think that there is some limitation on GUI framework (because it was instantly denied as "not possible" by Normis in #10)

That's why I ended up with suggestion to put just max scale value (because min scale is always zero) right into the chart, where already box with actual RX/TX values is. This might be possible. Sorry for not describing it correctly.

Your suggestion is however going much further and despite certainly being useful, typical usage is constant monitoring, which is exactly what Normis was against - these charts are not supposed to work as monitoring tool, despite the fact they are so convenient. I am afraid, that trying to push your suggestion will close door for this whole topic, including simple Y-axis scale.