Community discussions

MikroTik App

mek
just joined
Topic Author

upgrade path / issue

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Hello!

I tried now to upgrade a second board and it is more or less the same behaviour.
First I failed on a RB450 now on a RB1000.

It was the same, I upgraded from 3.x -> 4.17 (ok) -> 5.26 (ok) -> 6.42.5 (fail)

On the 450 I uploaded the npk via the web interface now I tried to use winbox
but the symptom is the same after the 6.42.5 it will just go into a boot loop and continue beeping.

I could not find any update path info. What I did not do is any license update. After I had recovered
the system the first time I simply used winbox for that. What should be the right / fastest way to get
an updated router board without (I have physical access to the devices) much issues?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: upgrade path / issue

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm

I had the same problem with rb333. Bricked after the 6.42.4 installed over 5.26. I netinstalled 5.26 again with the serial cable and then went to 6.0, 6.10, 6.20, 6.33, 6.42.4. I tried to upgrade routerboot every time but it was only 2.18 available until the numbering synced with the ros version. After that it is unclear whether there is or is not real upgrade... Finally it works good. Maybe my path was too long, you can try shorter way and come back to 5.26 if necessary.

mek
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:15 am

jarda: I am not sure if its the existing config or the system image which is the issue, I fixed it with netboot and defaulting the configuration.
But its a bad situation if you can brick the system by upgrading.

I could not find a proper upgrade path document, so it would be nice if one could point out if that exists or at least how the upgrade
path should look like, maybe with different views, like if the config should survive or just how to default reset the device and have the proper license set.

At least the last is what I would be currently ok with. I "upgraded" one RB450G 3.x system using netboot to 6 and default config) which at least boots
but I am not so sure if the license is ok. A winbox upgrade gave at least some error.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:04 am

Upgrade is always risky. Therefore you should make enough tests on your laboratory devices and then upgrade your network by parts. The configuration options are changing version to version so new version can misbehave easily when you do not care what changes meanwhile. I agree there should be clear map that leads user to newest bugfix pinning out what an administrator should take care of at each step.
Actually the mode is to read all release notes, stay week on forum, make big testing in lab, make yourself brave and go live with the upgrades. Then be prepared to netinstall what breaks.
A bit easier is to stay in bugfix channel and upgrade a month after the version was released if nothing bad is reported on the forum. Don't try to run current releases early. They need to be retracted or patched sometimes because of occasional errors.