Community discussions

MikroTik App

psurmont
just joined
Topic Author

Weird Router RB951

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:31 am

Hello,

I have this RB951-2hnd (ROS 6.35.4, FW: 3.33) that have a strange behavior since 2 weeks:

- Doest not work on certain web-site (Microsoft.com, support.ricoh.com, labelleverte-nc.com, balithairiver.nc,...) works fine on the others.
- I can reset it to the default factory, it keeps the same behavior.
- Impossible to upgrade neither Automatically, neither manually nor with netinstall.
- the problem is the same wether on ADSL (ppoe) or 4G.
- the behavior is on mac with Safari or Firefox
- On windows same behavior with safari or firefox, but does not work at all with edge.
- i tried with or without fasttrack, fastpath, change MSS, does not change anything.
- it works fine for 1 minute after rebooting then it goes down again

Is there any way to make a COMPLETE reset of the router to a REAL factory reset? i suspect it to be some kind of cache problem.
Any idea or do I have to throw it in the trashcan?

brgds, Pierre

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Weird Router RB951

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:32 am

Is there any way to make a COMPLETE reset of the router to a REAL factory reset?
For a complete re-install of the OS (ie: format) you need to do a netinstall.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

For a full configuration reset (without re-installing the OS - but it will reset everything to defaults) you can do it from winbox/cli
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:R ... m_RouterOS

psurmont
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

as i said none of them work... i will try the jumper hole reset to see what happen. Thank you

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 am

I highly doubt that none of them work. You are doing something wrong.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:28 am

Or the problem is somewhere else...

Is DNS still able to resolve the addresses for the sites not working?

What happens when you trace the route from a client vs the router?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

psurmont
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Believe me i ve tried them all. The auto upgrade download the .npk then reboot and nothing is change. If i transfert the npk manually, it disapear as soon as it is downloaded on the disk. The netinstall show installing for half a second as soon as i pressed install button and then stop and after few seconds reappear as ready with no installation done.

psurmont
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Or the problem is somewhere else...

Is DNS still able to resolve the addresses for the sites not working?

What happens when you trace the route from a client vs the router?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
The DNS work perfectly and resolve every single domain name. The traceroute seems to be normal passing thru my provider router then thru different international routers. However it never reach the final address.
The weirdest is that it work perfectly well during one minute after a reboot.

I ve tried everything. If i backup my config and restore it on another RB951, it works perfectly well.

It s like if there was a virus on the routerboard.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 pm

It is very common that people who want or need to do a netinstall report back that it does not work.
E.g. when someone reports they have bricked their router due to a mishap when upgrading or configuring,
and are told to do a netinstall, I would say in 50% or more of the cases they report back "netinstall also not possible".

It is just a tricky procedure to go through when you do it first time. There are many things that are not
obvious, apparently, and lots of people are not very good at following step-by-step instructions to the letter.

For now I assume that netinstall is possible on your router, you just did not do it correctly.
Another matter is if this is required to solve your problem. Your problem may have quite different reasons that
are not at all solved by resetting your netinstall your router.

psurmont
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:44 pm

i can make a video of it if u want. I setup a static address on my computer, i start netinstall (even tried as admin) start the router with pressing the reset button. The router is appearing on the netinstall program i select it and select a npk on the list, press the install button. The program show installing for half a second and then stop. After a while the router appear as ready and no installation is made. I tried again and again with 3 different version of the ROS. If u see something wrong in what i describe, just tell me. I just think that something went wrong in the routeros version of the RB and now nothing is working anymore.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Weird Router RB951  [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:34 pm

As I said, it is easy to make mistakes in this procedure. The installed RouterOS is not used during netinstall,
this is done using the bootloader only. Unfortunately there is only a netinstall program for Windows, which
really isn't a suitable platform for this because too many different versions exist and too many uncontrolled
things can happen in the setup and add-on software.

psurmont
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:40 pm

As I said, it is easy to make mistakes in this procedure. The installed RouterOS is not used during netinstall,
this is done using the bootloader only. Unfortunately there is only a netinstall program for Windows, which
really isn't a suitable platform for this because too many different versions exist and too many uncontrolled
things can happen in the setup and add-on software.
I will try tomorrow with different OS versions and different computers. Thanks for all the info.

psurmont
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 am

I finally could make it work with netinstall on an old computer i had, with windows XP and no program installed.
the router seems to work fine so far thanks to everybody.

Best regards

Pierre