Community discussions

MikroTik App

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

strange connection problem with Dynadish PTP...

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Now I am experiencing a strange thing...

I have a working PTP link [Dynadish] connected 5 kms apart and was working fine till Monday for past1 year.

Monday the linked dropped connectivity. On probing further I realised that the connection on one end of the network works fine when plugged into a standalone laptop.

But the same connection when plugged into the switch stops responding. There is no IP conflict.

What kind of issue is this?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: strange connection problem with Dynadish PTP...

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 pm

A dead switch? Maybe after (nearby) lightning strike?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 am

power issues are there on the location but the same switch works comfortably with a standby PTP link provided by a company/product called "BROVIS"

another strange thing is the Mikrotik link is not detected when used in my THINKPAD but it works when plugged into a DELL laptop.

Giepie

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:48 am

Make sure you're using the gigabit PoE which came with the dynadish.

Also try another Mikrotik gigabit switch.

I find that using 10/100 PoE's cause similar issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:33 am

i am using the Gigabit POE given with the Dynadish.

so i assume the error lies somewhere in the switch or the poe?? am i right???

Giepie

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 am

Most probably... But it could also be a bad crimp.

Remember, on gigabit links all 8 wires are used, on 10/100 only 4 are used.

Sometimes if one of the two blue or browns aren't crimped properly, you may still have a link, but it does strange things.

If it was me, I'd troubleshoot as follow:

1) recrimp both sides (also check for moisture near the antenna)
2) swap PoE
3) swap PSU (yes, bad PSU's also cause havoc at times)
4) swap switch

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:02 am

so as told i went ahead and

1. re-crimped
2. swapped the switch

it seemed to work with on laptop connected to the switch.

today will plug the entire LAN load and see what happens

:-) thanking you for the inputs.

Giepie

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 am

It's only our pleasure bud!

Please let us know the result.

G

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:41 pm

so the client did not put up the dish in working for so long till the last week.

it worked for a week... and today it has done the same thing.

last time the switch was changed and it worked... but now again the same problem sounds strange!!

the best part is another PTP link on the same switch is working just fine....

hope normis could help in this

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:00 pm

ok. exactly after one month of changing the swtich and the link working fine... today the same problems has come back.

when connected to a single laptop on one end of the PTP link... the link works fine but when the same ethernet is plugged into a swtich there is no ethernet communication.

and this is happening just at one end of the PTP link using Dynadish pair.

this is haunting me !!! please help!!!!

Giepie

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Have you tried a different brand switch?

Another thing, you should really use a gigabit switch.

You sometimes get switching incompatibilities between devices, especially when connecting gigabit to 10/100.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 am

last time i.e. one month ago i changed the switch from D-Link to Netgear.

it worked on the new Netgear for one month and again yesterday the same issue cropped up.

why is this happening again

AminYounessi
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:35 am

Now I am experiencing a strange thing...

I have a working PTP link [Dynadish] connected 5 kms apart and was working fine till Monday for past1 year.

Monday the linked dropped connectivity. On probing further I realised that the connection on one end of the network works fine when plugged into a standalone laptop.

But the same connection when plugged into the switch stops responding. There is no IP conflict.

What kind of issue is this?
Hi,

If your wireless connection is working fine, and the problem is just in one side and when you connect radio to your network switch and the switch port goes down you may have a loop in your network design and if your switch is manageable like MikroTik or Cisco switches you just need to set the BPDU filter or BPDU guard.
Last year i saw one of my customer link goes down, at first i can't connect to radio on my side an when i connect to my cisco switch 3560 series i notice that the port connected to the radio goes down, so i try to connect to the mikrotik radio and check the wireless link, after a while i understand my customer switch side configured flat i mean they configure they're cisco 2960 catalyst switch without VLAN configuration and put another radio's link and network to that switch, and in some reason we are two link between each other in 2 way. Finally i just set the BPDU guard on my cisco switch and the problem solved.

Then tell to the customer to changed they're design.

Best Regards,

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:15 pm

the switch is not managed. it's a dumb switch.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:21 pm

will disabling the STP / RSTP on the BRIDGE INTERFACE of the PTP link on a Mikrotik help me with this??

it is just a simple PTP link and nothing more...

spacex
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:49 pm

link grounding?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:18 am

link grounding?
the link was working for 2 years in the current setup and suddenly this happened. do you think grounding would do this issue?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 am

the link was working for 2 years in the current setup and suddenly this happened. do you think grounding would do this issue?
This sounds like a spanning tree issue to me -- probably, somebody is creating a loop in the network and spanning tree is trying to block it. I would wager that something is connected to the switch that is plugged into itself and causing packets to loop. If the switch doesn't support spanning tree then the MikroTik would kick in spanning tree and block the entire switch from connecting.

I have seen customers accidentally plug switches into themselves with a long cable where both ends are nearby each other -- they see the two ends close by and assume both should be connected to the switch, and connect them, but meanwhile it is actually the same cable, so the customer has just plugged the switch into itself and created a loop. If the switch supports spanning tree, it will block this loop itself, but many unmanaged switches do not.

Unplug everything from that switch except your laptop and the dynadish. See if it works - it should. Plug the rest of the cables back in one at a time and retest so that you can figure out which connection brings everything down, and then you will find the source of the loop. There may be a switch connected directly to your switch that is plugged into itself.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:28 am

This sounds like a spanning tree issue to me -- probably, somebody is creating a loop in the network and spanning tree is trying to block it. I would wager that something is connected to the switch that is plugged into itself and causing packets to loop. If the switch doesn't support spanning tree then the MikroTik would kick in spanning tree and block the entire switch from connecting.

I have seen customers accidentally plug switches into themselves with a long cable where both ends are nearby each other -- they see the two ends close by and assume both should be connected to the switch, and connect them, but meanwhile it is actually the same cable, so the customer has just plugged the switch into itself and created a loop. If the switch supports spanning tree, it will block this loop itself, but many unmanaged switches do not.

Unplug everything from that switch except your laptop and the dynadish. See if it works - it should. Plug the rest of the cables back in one at a time and retest so that you can figure out which connection brings everything down, and then you will find the source of the loop. There may be a switch connected directly to your switch that is plugged into itself.
when plugged in a single laptop from the Dynadish the link works perfectly. when plugged back into the switch it starts flapping...

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:31 am

when plugged in a single laptop from the Dynadish the link works perfectly. when plugged back into the switch it starts flapping...
And there is nothing else plugged into the switch besides the dynadish itself when you plug it back into the switch? That wasn't really clear.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:41 am

And there is nothing else plugged into the switch besides the dynadish itself when you plug it back into the switch? That wasn't really clear.

it is as follows:

one end it plugged into the network and then a cable goes to the rooftop to a Dynadish ( Location A )

other end cable comes down from the rooftop Dynadish and plugs into the switch ( Location B )

so Location B now has a issue where if the cable from Dynadish is plugged directly into the laptop it can communicate and work with Location A perfectly but when the same cable is plugged into a switch ( on Location B Network ) it starts port flapping and gives the following error "Bridge port received packet with own address as source, probably loop" ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=118150 )

:-) hope this helps :-)

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:47 am

so Location B now has a issue where if the cable from Dynadish is plugged directly into the laptop it can communicate and work with Location A perfectly but when the same cable is plugged into a switch ( on Location B Network ) it starts port flapping and gives the following error "Bridge port received packet with own address as source, probably loop" ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=118150 )
OK so there is a loop, like I suspected. You need to unplug everything from the switch at location B except for the Dynadish itself. Have you done this? Do you get the loop error when the only thing plugged into the switch at location B is the dynadish? All other cables unplugged from the switch?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 am

OK so there is a loop, like I suspected. You need to unplug everything from the switch at location B except for the Dynadish itself. Have you done this? Do you get the loop error when the only thing plugged into the switch at location B is the dynadish? All other cables unplugged from the switch?
when the Dynadish at Location B is plugged into the switch it stops responding and this is when there is no other network cable present in the switch at that time but somehow it responds when plugged directly into the laptop. i have also changed the switch from D-Link to Netgear.

when i changed the switch from D-Link to Netgear it worked again for a month and has started behaving the same again.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:08 am

when the Dynadish at Location B is plugged into the switch it stops responding and this is when there is no other network cable present in the switch at that time but somehow it responds when plugged directly into the laptop.
OK thank you, this is helpful. If this is the case, that nothing is plugged into the switch at location B except the dynadish and the problem still happens, then the switch at Location B may support spanning tree and may be sending out BPDU's. A loop at the other end (location A) may cause the BPDUs sent by the switch to return back the way they came, and cause the link to go down. See if the problem happens when the Dynadish at Location A is not plugged into your network. Try to just have Dynadish (Location A) <--> Dynadish (Location B) <--> Switch (Location B) without anything plugged into the switch except the Dynadish, and the Dynadish at Location A is not plugged into your network. If this does not go down, your problem is a loop at Location A, where something is plugged into itself at Location A, causing packets to loop and triggering the outage.
Last edited by mducharme on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:10 am

when the Dynadish at Location B is plugged into the switch it stops responding and this is when there is no other network cable present in the switch at that time but somehow it responds when plugged directly into the laptop.
OK thank you, this is helpful. If this is the case, that nothing is plugged into the switch at location B except the dynadish and the problem still happens, then the switch at Location B may support spanning tree and may be sending out BPDU's. A loop at the other end (location A) may cause the BPDUs sent by the switch to return back the way they came, and cause the link to go down. See if the problem happens when the Dynadish at Location A is not plugged into your network. Try to just have Dynadish (Location A) <--> Dynadish (Location B) <--> Switch (Location B) without anything plugged into the switch except the Dynadish. If this does not go down, your problem is a loop at Location A, where something is plugged into itself at Location A, causing packets to loop and triggering the outage.

will check and report back! :-)

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am

As none of the solution worked I have reset the device which is still on the tower but it seems like the port is still flapping.

Just keeps connecting and disconnecting to laptop LAN adaptor.

Then it shows the unit in Winbox after a long time... When I connect using MAC address through Winbox within another 5 seconds the connection is lost and again it starts flapping making me wait for another 20 to 30 mins.

This process is going on repeatedly...

At times it does allow me to login... And when I try selecting reset-configuration it did reset once but now everytime I login it keeps showing me the Reset Dialog in Winbox briefly before throwing me out again.

Attaching photos of 3 Stages... Before login, login and logout.

Also worth noticing is the SENT bytes are 0 during the complete process.

This is totally strange.
ImageImageImage

spacex
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:05 pm

link grounding?
Yes of course grounding is very important

spacex
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Did you try to change the cable going to the device? Or I suggest you check your tips.
As far as I can see the link looks 10 mbit.
What is cable distance?
Good luck with.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:26 am

so the cable was the culprit.

i installed 3 different Mikrotik devices at the tower end of the cable and was facing the same problem and that made me zoom in on the problem.

the cable length is 65 meters.

change the cable finally!!! :-)

spacex
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:45 pm

so the cable was the culprit.

i installed 3 different Mikrotik devices at the tower end of the cable and was facing the same problem and that made me zoom in on the problem.

the cable length is 65 meters.

change the cable finally!!! :-)
Good work :) have nice day.