Community discussions

MikroTik App

madox
Topic Author

Hex S SFP no link

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi!

I have bought new hEX S and i am having problem with SFP link with other devices (also mikrotik).
Sometimes it does work after a few hard resets...but usually doesn't work.

I have tried with several mikrotik SFP modules (all are the same), with different haredware (CCR, hex poe, switch), and different optical cables....nothing seems to work.

I did new netinstall and problem still persist.

To summarise...module is present and working, but no link...module and cables tried with hex s are working normal with other mikrotik devices.

Looking forward for your answer...maybe haredware problem?

Just to say...routeros 6.42.6, and latest firmware are on board...

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hex S SFP no link

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Try with auto negotiate off and speed set to 1Gb/s.

madox
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Try with auto negotiate off and speed set to 1Gb/s.
I have tried that....nothing happend...no link

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 am

You can look at this page how compatible your SFP is with other Mikrotik stuff. It is not up-to-date I know.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... lity_table

And as you indicated yourself, your RB760iGS can be defective.

madox
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:28 pm

Ok...i have tried everything...nothing worked...
I have sent file to mikrotik support...
In meantime...will send rb to seller...
Thx for support...

OndrejHolas

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:18 pm

I've just observed exactly the same behavior on hEX S (6.42.6) with different SFP modules, including officially supported S-85DLC05D and Mikrotik's 3m DAC, and many setups (RB2011, RB3011, TP-Link MC220) - when one party is hEX S, link is down (nego done, rx power -15, but no-link); any other two boxes in lab communicate via fiber well.

Also tried downgrading to 6.42.2 and 6.41.4, in all tested versions the behavior is the same. I've never seen link up on hEX S' sfp1.

Ondrej

OndrejHolas

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:23 pm

I've done dozens of tests so far. Following steps:

- downgrading packages to 6.42.5
- reboot
- downgrading firmware to 6.42.5
- shutdown
- remove power, wait 10s
- restore power and let the router boot with inserted SFP module (this seems to be important)

can quite reliably make sfp1 work again. Also it seems that first cold boot after firmware upgrade/downgrade without inserted SFP module starts this "permanent no-link problem" and the problem does not disappear by rebooting/powercycling; the only recovery, I was successful with, is performing the steps above.

In addition, when SFP module is inserted/removed to/from running router, copper ports lose link for approximately 4 seconds (link down/up events can be seen in router's log as well). Maybe this is due to CPU-to-switch lane reconfiguration (according to block diagram), please can someone from MikroTik confirm this?

<speculation>Can the problem with permanent no-link on sfp1 be related to lane configuration in early stages of ROS boot or even firmware initialization?</speculation>

Nevertheless, I cannot put device behaving this way into the production :-(

Ondrej

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:46 pm

Do you have an Ethernet cable connected to the port closest to the SFP?
If I am not wrong, this is a shared port, and you can only use one of them.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:46 pm

I've done dozens of tests so far. Following steps:

- downgrading packages to 6.42.5
- reboot
- downgrading firmware to 6.42.5
- shutdown
- remove power, wait 10s
- restore power and let the router boot with inserted SFP module (this seems to be important)

can quite reliably make sfp1 work again. Also it seems that first cold boot after firmware upgrade/downgrade without inserted SFP module starts this "permanent no-link problem" and the problem does not disappear by rebooting/powercycling; the only recovery, I was successful with, is performing the steps above.

In addition, when SFP module is inserted/removed to/from running router, copper ports lose link for approximately 4 seconds (link down/up events can be seen in router's log as well). Maybe this is due to CPU-to-switch lane reconfiguration (according to block diagram), please can someone from MikroTik confirm this?

<speculation>Can the problem with permanent no-link on sfp1 be related to lane configuration in early stages of ROS boot or even firmware initialization?</speculation>

Nevertheless, I cannot put device behaving this way into the production :-(

Ondrej
Please sent your findings to support@mikrotik.com so they can look at a solution for this problem.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Do you have an Ethernet cable connected to the port closest to the SFP?
If I am not wrong, this is a shared port, and you can only use one of them.
Not according to the schema

I also would have chosen for sharing with port 1 but Mikrotil designed it differently.
I don't use port 1 because I did not need to.

madox
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 pm

I have received new hex s and everything is working fine...

When i was troubleshooting my hex i have tried only with sfp and without lan cables...problem still persisted

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 pm

So definitely an hardware problem ?
Just a defective part or newer/upgraded hardware ?

nicob
just joined

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:22 am

@madox: Great to find a companion in this problem.

I've seen the same symptoms on the Hex S I tried to install. On the very first insert of the gbic it all worked fine, got a link, got connection, updated to 6.43rc45 and never got it working again. After inserting the gbic, I will lose connectivity momentarily on other ports, just as you described. I ordered a new gbic because i thought it was an incompatibility issue, but seeing this topic, I wonder if I am not better of with a Hex PoE

I am a bit confused by your last post, is it all fixed reliable when you got a new Hex S? (both sentences are in the present tense, but say that it is and isn't working)
As I am considering sending the Hex S back for a Hex PoE.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 pm

I have no problem at all and as you can see in my signature. I always powered down the hEX S when inserting or removing the SFP.

I put cooling on the (FS.COM) SFP and a little fan in front that can be regulated. So testing it by taking out/inserting the SFP is not easy to be done.

I am still on firmware: 6.43rc32 and that will be updated on reboot so no reboot if possible. Maybe nothing changed between current and old firmware but Mikrotik could confirm that.

madox
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:55 pm

@nicob

New hex s is working ok...
Troubleshooting old hex s which is returned to seller...

OndrejHolas

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Received new hEX S today and SFP works fine with 6.42.6 and 6.42.7. The only combination I was able achieve the "no-link" status on SFP was with 6.42.6, coldbooted without SFP module and then inserted the module when RouterOS was already running. After warm reboot with module inserted, the module started to work again. With 6.42.7, I was not able to reproduce "no-link" at all.

Nevertheless, along with obvious changes in behavior of different RouterOS/firmware versions, it must have been something faulty in the first box hardware, since under 6.42.6 the two boxes showed totally different behavior in SFP port operation. Hope it's definitely solved.

Ondrej

keywork
just joined

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 am

So, I purchased a Hex S about a month ago and finally had time this weekend to set it up. Like others in this post, I cannot get the SFP port working :(

I sent an email to Mikrotik support to see if they are aware of the issue or are planning a fix, but any chance someone has a workaround? I've done the usual troubleshooting already (upgrade/downgrade/force 1G/etc.).

I'll chime in with what I get back from support.

tkrjasek
just joined

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:34 am

I missed this post so I created new one...I'll copy it here to have everything together:
After cold reboot (power off, power on) occasionally SFP doesn't get link up.
SFP diagnostic works normal, even values shown are the same as when it has link.

I tested SingleMode (1550/1310 nm) SFP brands: Optokon, GigaLight and 2 other Cisco compatible, I read on czech forum Maxlink SFP has the same problem (and someone wrote that even Mikrotik SFP doesn't work reliably). Those SFP work without problem on all our other devices, even on other Routerboards (RB2011) it works fine.

Devices on the other side: Edge-Core switches (ECS4120-28T, ECS4210-28T), Routeboards (RB760iGS, RB960PGS).

It happens 1-4 times out of 10, I couldn't find any relation.

Only cold reboot(s) helps, warm reboot (/system reboot) doesn't help (also warm reboot doesn't cause such problem).

I tried turning autonegotiation off and setting speed to 1Gbit on both sides - that didn't help.

It happens both on stable (6.42.7) and RC (6.43rc66) SW versions.

Nothing Mikrotik support suggested helped:
* disabling the interface on both ends
* setting the /system routerboard settings set boot-delay value (higher/lower than 2s)

And their conclusion "It seems to be a compatibility issue, we will try to improve it in the future, but for now it seems they are not compatible with our devices." doesn't help much.

If anyone found SFP that 100% work, please share. I have yet to (purchase and) test S-3553LC20D.
@madox : can you look up what's your S/N on this new routerboard that works is?

tkrjasek
just joined

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 am

I tested S-3553LC20D and it indeed occurs even with this SFP.
It's sad that Mikrotik isn't doing anything about this problem, hell can't even admit this error and claims:
We are trying to replicate this issue with our own modules, but we are unable to observe such linking issues in our labs.

manson

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm

I have same problem.
I broght two HEX S devices, one is working withount any problems. On another SFP port is showing "no link".

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:38 pm

I have same problem.
I broght two HEX S devices, one is working withount any problems. On another SFP port is showing "no link".
Did you try also with auto negotiate off and speed set to 1Gb/s?

masterbeto
just joined

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:26 pm

disable auto negotiation n set to 1gbps full duplex in BOTH SIDE n it work, work for me

RpMz
just joined

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:16 am

disable auto negotiation n set to 1gbps full duplex in BOTH SIDE n it work, work for me
I tried your solution, between Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-2HnD and TP-Link switch T1600-28PS Jetstream 24 port with sfp connection and works great!!

Thanks!