Community discussions

MikroTik App

MrCool
just joined
Topic Author

Working with hotspots...

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:43 am

Hello!

I have a hotspot setup on the PHYSICAL interface (wlan1), which I wish to use "normally". I have setup 2 virtual APs (VAPs) (wlan2,wlan3) using physical interface wlan1. I then created 2 more hotsopt servers for these VAPs. So there is actually 3 hotspots for the customers to connect to.

hotspot1 (wlan1) is to work like normal (authenticate, then have full access to the internet).

hotspots 2 and 3 are to be for advertising ONLY. What I wish to do, is if someone connects to either of these VAPs/hotspots, is to send them directly to advertising pages (no login prompt, directly to the ads). and then keep them within the ads... (no regular internet access).

For example: customer connects to hotspot2, opens a browser, and it redirects directly to our website (and allows browsing throught this website, but nowhere outside of this website), same thing for hotspot3, only a different website.

Is this possible? I have tried several things, and the closest I came to it was to create a redirect link to the website, then upload it with the name login.html so instead of being a loginpage, it tries to redirect to the preferred site (cheating, I know 8) ). If the page is NOT in the walled garden, the browser gets stuck in a loop and does not go anywhere or load ANY page. If I put the website in the walled-garden, it just goes directly browsers homepage (with full internet access), and does not even show the preferred website...

anybody done anything like this? If so, your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all...

Jerryf (MrCool)

ferry
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Working with hotspot

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:10 am

Yes, u can do that (by redirect the page to page what do you want)

Maybe u can look at winbox --> ip-hotspot - walled garden.

the rule is:
1. allow to your ip (html page)
2. deny to all ip except no 1 (deny 0.0.0.0/0)

Maybe this is help u

Thx :lol:

MrCool
just joined
Topic Author

This is frusterating...

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Hello!

Thanks for your reply, (I had the walled-garden rules in the wrong order, was why full internet access was allowed, fixed that...)

But i still cannot make the redirect work... I even tried the example in the documentation that is supposed to redirect to another authentiucation server, this DOES NOT work, it just gets stuck in a loop also, with no page comming up, the address bar has something like this in it...

http://192.168.14.13/login?dst=http%3A% ... Findex.php

and the windows machine just click click clicks away indefinately, or until I click on stop...

Firefox has the same reaction...

anybody??

Thanks

Jerryf

MrCool
just joined
Topic Author

Got it YEA!!

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:11 am

Hello!

My mistake, was that I was using http level walled garden... After putting the IP of the webserver(s) in the IP-LEVEL walled garden, my redirect (based on the example in the mikrotik docs) worked!! JUST like i was wanting...

As a side note, one of the websites i was trying to redirect too was hosted on an IIS server (!! sad I know) and the ' method="post" ' code had to be changed to ' method="get" ' in order for the page to come up, otherwise I got a '405' error. Unfortunately, this puts all the info in the addr bar, but at least it works...

Thanks to anyone who may have pondered this and thanks to those who have posted...

Hope this helps someone who is trying something similar...

Jerryf