Community discussions

bigcw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Has anyone tried the UART port inside the hAP AC^2?

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:46 pm

As subject, I need to debug netinstall, and there is no way to do that without a serial port.

Has anyone tried soldering on to the internal UART header in the hAP AC^2? Does it work?

I've tried this before, I think on a hAP AC Lite, and the port is disabled somehow which is why I am asking if the same is true on the AC^2.

Chris
Last edited by bigcw on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecom International Network - Operators of AS61337 with POPs in Europe and North America - www.ecomltd.co.uk
Colocker Data Centre - The data centre with a difference! - www.colocker.com

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Has anyone tried the UART port inside the hAP AC^2?

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:47 pm

It will not work, it only works with special RouterBOOT version that is not public.
What do you need to debug? Maybe we can simply help you make it work.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

bigcw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137238

^^ this problem. I have also emailed support about it (ticket ID 2018072522004283, currently unanswered)

The problem with debugging any netinstall problems is that, if the script does not run for some reason and therefore there is no IP address configured, you end up with a brick. There is no way to debug, you just have to guess what is wrong by trial and error. This makes development extremely difficult.

Hence asking for a serial port.

Is this 'special' version of RouterBOOT available? I am quite happy to sign an NDA and/or send you a list of over 13,000 serial numbers of routers that I have purchased from you to demonstrate that it is worth your effort to help me.
Ecom International Network - Operators of AS61337 with POPs in Europe and North America - www.ecomltd.co.uk

bigcw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 pm

So the initial problem I was trying to debug has now been solved.

But that doesn't explain this question. Why would Mikrotik go out of their way to disable the serial port on the smaller routers? CCR's have them, so I can only assume it is not a security issue.

What's so bad about power users who are capable of soldering a header to the board having access to a serial port for debugging purposes?