Community discussions

MikroTik App

dnordenberg
Topic Author

NAT router with fair bandwidth distribution among clients

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi
I would like to setup routeros to fairly distribute the available WAN port bandwidth among a number of clients (read subnets as one client has one subnet for himself). I read some on queues but all I can find is about absolute rate limit values. But I would like the rate limit to be dynamic. For example WAN capacity is 1gbit. Client number is 12 and they are all on different 192.168 subnets which I plan to distribute to one or two switches using VLANs. And the functionality I'm searching for would be that if only one client is downloading he will get 1gbit. Two clients downloading they get roughly 500mbit each. Three clients downloading equals to roughly 333mbit and so on... One client shouldn't be able to steal all bandwidth slowing down internet for everyone else. Of course upload needs to be monitored/traffic shaped too since it will probably be 100mbit for the WAN connection and utilizing all that will cause bad latency for all the other clients :(

Is this setup possible with routeros? Can someone point me in right direction in that case :)
Hardware would probably be CCR1009.

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: NAT router with fair bandwidth distribution among clients  [SOLVED]

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:52 pm

dnordenberg
Topic Author

Re: NAT router with fair bandwidth distribution among clients

Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:19 pm

As i understand it, this is all about fixed rates. Which would be a real waste of bandwidth. That is not what I asked about :(

xvo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:24 pm

As i understand it, this is all about fixed rates. Which would be a real waste of bandwidth. That is not what I asked about :(
Nope. That is exactly what you are asking for:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Q ... e_Examples
Second picture.

dnordenberg
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:01 am

Ah yes, now I see, you are right. Thanks guys!