MikroTik App

psycoclan1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PPTP client loses internet connection

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi guys,

I have a VPS with static ip and mikrotik installed (v6.42.6). There i have configured a simple VPN server with local pool addresses. This way i can access remotely my personal computers windows 10 RDP and troubleshooting to small networks which i have with mikrotik routerboards.

My VPN works perfect, but since i moved to talktalk (uk) connection, whenever i connect to my VPN server with my laptop, i lose ping, and wifi connection loses internet completely. Same happens to my android phone. Whenever i connect to my mikrotik VPN my phone loses internet connection. On my phone i downloaded a VPN client from google play store (Orbot), and when i connect to this VPN, internet works fine.

Is there any alternative configuration that i can use so i can get support to all of the devices and networks?

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPTP client loses internet connection

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:30 am

Hi guys,

I have a VPS with static ip and mikrotik installed (v6.42.6). There i have configured a simple VPN server with local pool addresses. This way i can access remotely my personal computers windows 10 RDP and troubleshooting to small networks which i have with mikrotik routerboards.

My VPN works perfect, but since i moved to talktalk (uk) connection, whenever i connect to my VPN server with my laptop, i lose ping, and wifi connection loses internet completely. Same happens to my android phone. Whenever i connect to my mikrotik VPN my phone loses internet connection. On my phone i downloaded a VPN client from google play store (Orbot), and when i connect to this VPN, internet works fine.

Is there any alternative configuration that i can use so i can get support to all of the devices and networks?

First, PPTP is proven to be insecure and client support is falling. You should migrate to something like L2TP/IPSec, SSTP or IKEv2. I like L2TP/IPSec for the use case you described. It's supported natively by Android, iOS, Linux and Windows which are the operating systems I most frequently need to run on the client side. MikroTik's OpenVPN implementation is incomplete and not recommended.

Second, It's likely a routing issue. We'd have to know more details. You said you changed Internet providers. Did your LAN change (possibly RFC1918 overlap)? Is the PPTP server handing the client or the client automatically setting a default route? If so, you might not have anything in the MikroTik configuration to accommodate outbound Internet access from a PPTP client to the Internet.

Post a drawing and a configuration export.

psycoclan1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: PPTP client loses internet connection

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:00 pm

PPTP was a quick configuration to manage my LANs in various locations, thats why i have never been into L2TP. I setup an IPSec server and i can tell it works much better than PPTP. Unfortunatelly, I cannot check from the internet connection with the fault at the moment, as i left that place. But i will be back in 2 weeks times to check again.

I am going to switch to IKEv2 which is supported by apple devices as well. Would you recommend that?

As for the routes, Mikrotik doesnt provide a static route for the devices, so its the ISPs that choose the route.