MikroTik App

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RADIUS timeout version 2.9.36 and upper

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi,
we have lot of hotspots and I continually update them. However, I am careful since v2.9.36 because of the limit of timeout in /radius.

Now the maximum value is 3000 while in previous versions this value could be bigger (I need almost 8000).

Does someone know when this bug was repaired?

virtualmystic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:06 am

(I need almost 8000).
its time to tune ur radius/DB..

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:47 am

There was a discussion about that earlier.
If you're having (for example) a satellite uplink between your RouterOS machine and the RADIUS server, there will be HIGH latency which you can't do anything against (apart from setting the timeout values higher in RouterOS, which has been deliberately regarding the max value some versions ago...).

Best regards,
Christian Meis

virtualmystic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:35 pm

well there is an easy way to ignore radius client timeout..
install multiple radius against single DB...request from hotspot to radius will be UDP...whereas request between radius and DB is tcp...now you all know reliablity of TCP vs. UDP.

we are running a countrywide isp....with just one oracle+solaris DB...and more than 20 radius on each node communicating with that single db...n no authentication problems/timeouts..

regds,

Asad

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:36 am

Each one set the radius timeout as he wants, and I configure my hotspots with a hight timeout vale because I have several roaming partners who do not sometimes have a very good response in time. Moreover, for this ans other reasons a set a high timeout response in my freeradius servers. So it is not strange that I put a higher than 3000 ms in my MT devices.
Do you think if in the next version this bug can be mended?

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:41 am

I have hundred ofm MT devices and I think this last solucion about having several RADIUS entries is a botch-up. Increasing radius timeout value is cleaner.

virtualmystic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:02 pm

well its not about having a dedicated radius for each MT, its about having a radus for a group of MT or for a specific area..

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:00 pm

well its not about having a dedicated radius for each MT, its about having a radus for a group of MT or for a specific area..
This is the specific problem because there are topology differences. moreover, when an aacount actives the roaming service, it is necessary to add to the time to access to my radius, the time to reach the roaming partner radius. During this time, my MT has to wait for a response.
For this reason I need to increase the radius timeout.

jonmansey
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:49 pm

as Uldis told me, you can still enter timeout of 10000 for example via command line, just not from winbox. thats fixed it for me.