Community discussions

MikroTik App

LinuxLarry
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS 5.2 to Current

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi,

I have many routers that are in need of updating most range from 5.20 to 5.26 and I would like to bring them to current remotely. Is there any known issues that people have come across trying to complete this. I ask because when I loaded an npk file on to a RB2011 and rebooted it bricked. I would get activity light on what ever ports were connected then after about 30 seconds all 10 lights would flash like it was rebooting again.

I tried to netinstall the legacy 5.26 but it would not take. I was able to eventually netinstall 6.42.3 and the router is alive. I then tried to downgrade back to 5.26 (since there was no 5.20 available) and it would not take.

The router I was testing on was a customer router sent in for testing upgrade paths and possible problems. If I would have done this in the field I would of been in a bad situation.

I wanted to downgrade and possible do a stepped upgrade where I moved through different versions of 5.2x and get to 6.x and hopefully jump from there to 6.42.3+ or maybe default the router and try the upgrade directly from 5.20 again

Any advice or suggestions on how I might be able to successfully update these remote access only routers with out bricking them. Netinstalling is not an option as there is no way to take the sites down for more then few minutes to actually apply the updates.

Only options available is to scp the npk files and reboot. Winbox and other access are not available.

Kind Regards

LinuxLarry
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RouterOS 5.2 to Current

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Did I post this in the wrong section of the forum to receive help ?

LeftyTs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:05 am

Yes, it bricks. I had the same exact issues in many Mikrotik platforms. Most people have recommended netinstall but it is not very practical in many installations. The only remotely way I found, was to first upgrade from 5.26 to bugfix and then to current. It worked for all my installations. I had an issue with the space bug and had to do a factory defaults and then through the rsc as a final step but I think this issue is now fixed with latest current.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:17 pm

:) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LinuxLarry
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Thank you fore the replies. I will look into stepping up to the bug fix version first and then to current

Kind Regards

LinuxLarry
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:56 pm

it looks like using the 5.26 version on the archives was not a bug fix version or something as the same problems occur.

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RouterOS 5.2 to Current  [SOLVED]

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:35 pm

You should use version 6.40.8 bugfix and then update to last stable.
With 5.25 check for updates provides 6.40.8.

LinuxLarry
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I think I found this same solution last night. I ended up using the /system package update> check-for-updates and this went to 6.40.8 and then ran the command again and it brought it to current. I am really kicking myself for not knowing about this option sooner as it appears to be a great way to update vs scp of the .npk file and rebooting.

Kind Regards

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:32 pm

You can do it that way but you should not install the most recent version over such an ancient version in one step.