Community discussions

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Question on Firewall and blacklists

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:17 am

So I have built a blacklist in my Tik. I have a filter rule on the INPUT chain to drop any traffic from SRC ADDRESS list BLOCK. That is all fine for anything in the block list that is coming in to the router.

My confusion is that lets say address 185.168.4.4 is on the block list. Lets say this address is tied to a specific web page. If a computer behind my Tik reaches out to this particular address, the Tik allows it to go through and the web page presents itself. The above INPUT firewall rule doesn't block the connection to the client behind the firewall.

So my question is do I also need a firewall rule on the FORWARD chain to block the connection to the above DST ADDRESS LIST for the blocked addresses?

k6ccc

Re: Question on Firewall and blacklists

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 am

Yes. The Input chain only affects traffic that will terminate on the router itself. The Forward chain affects traffic that will pass through the router. Note that you have an allow connected and related traffic in the Forward chain, that rule will allow responses to one of your users who connects to that website PROVIDED that the allow connected rule is before the block rule. If you want to prevent someone from connecting to the blocked website, you need to put the block rule BEFORE the allow connected and related rule.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:43 am

Yes. The Input chain only affects traffic that will terminate on the router itself. The Forward chain affects traffic that will pass through the router. Note that you have an allow connected and related traffic in the Forward chain, that rule will allow responses to one of your users who connects to that website PROVIDED that the allow connected rule is before the block rule. If you want to prevent someone from connecting to the blocked website, you need to put the block rule BEFORE the allow connected and related rule.
Thanks for the quick reply!! Okay that makes perfect sense. Set it up like you said and is working great! Now help me understand..... I understand that the OUTPUT chain is involving any traffic generate by the router itself and is outbound. What are some examples of where this would come into play? I originally had my rules from up above on the output chain instead of forward and that is why they werent doing what I wanted....

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Router-originating traffic examples:
  • DNS queries. Either due to own router activities (see next bullet) or if router is configured as DNS relay for clients and clients query router for DNS answer while answer is not cached at router yet
  • updates of router ... either ROS itself or some external blacklists where script on router fetches updates
  • BGP/OSPF data interchange with peers
There are plenty other examples where chain=output gets used.
BR,
Metod

k6ccc

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Here's another example of using stuff in the Output chain. I was recently troubleshooting a problem and I wanted to be able to verify that packets were going out on the interface that they should have been. So I created the following set of output chain rules that served only to count packets on each individual interface. I would then ping various IPs and could easily confirm that the packets were going out the interface that they were expected.
add action=accept chain=output comment="Only for packet counting" \
    out-interface=E1-p1_DSL_Internet
    out-interface=E2-p3_201
    out-interface=E3-p5_203
    out-interface=VLAN_131
    out-interface=VLAN_202
    out-interface=VLAN_204
    out-interface=VLAN_209
    out-interface="E5 Router to Router tie"
I also created some rules in the Input chain to confirm that the ping responses were coming back where I expected them to be.

With some help from forum member Sindy, my problem was solved, and I expect that I will remove those rules.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim