Community discussions

MikroTik App

Simke
just joined
Topic Author

Software upgrade

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello,

sorry for silly questions but I noticed something while updating my Mikrotik and I'm confused.

When I updated it via "System -> Packages -> Download&Install" and then wrote in Terminal
"system package update check-for-updates" I got "System is already up to date".

But if I wrote in Terminal "system routerboard print" current-firmware and upgrade-firmware are not the same.
At least not until I went to "System -> routerboard -> upgrade" and then rebooted Mikrotik.
(Picture in URL)
https://imgur.com/a/glA56St

OK. My questions are:
1. Is it enough to just Update&Install via "System -> Packages -> Download&Install"?
2. What is the difference between current-firmware and current-version?

Thank you for your help.

Simke

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Software upgrade

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 pm

There's two kinds of software in Mikrotik: operating system and hardware specific firmware. Operating system's and firmware's versions are in sync, but it does not mean that firmware contains changes with every version bump. Operating system is upgraded using /system package update check-for-updates, firmware is upgraded using /system routerboard upgrade and reboot. It always takes two reboots to upgrade both operating system and firmware, but you can automate the second step by setting /system routerboard settings set auto-upgrade=yes

current-firmware is the firmware currently installed, upgrade-firmware is the one corresponding to operating system and factory-firmware is the one it came with.