Community discussions

MikroTik App

darkonyx
just joined
Topic Author

Random micro stutters during music playback from SMB file shares

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 am

Received my hAP ac2 router previously during the day and set it up as the "main" router for internet etc. I had previously exclusively used another router, from Dlink "DIR-882", which I had both for wired and wireless usage. But because I needed to have better wireless coverage and improve the throughput of my Windows Server 2016 with several SMB shares I decided to purchase this Mikrotik router as I've heard good things about it, especially about its throughput! Now comes my problem. When I listen to music, e.g. 320Kbps MP3s I get micro stutters randomly. This forced me to investigate where the issue was and I started checking the Tx/Rx traffic for each ethernet-interface/port and noticed spikes up to 90Mbps Tx coming from my Dlink router! Sometimes they are so "short" that they don't get picked up by the traffic analyzing graph in WinBox.

I use the default config, both RouterOS and RouterBOARD is on the latest stabil version and my wireless radios are turned off. Also this configuration has worked fine before when I had an older, but slower Fast Ethernet router in the place of the Microtik router and no micro stuttering has ever occurred before using this router.

So, I would like some help regarding this problem I have, because if this micro stuttering cannot be fixed I have no other choice than to return the unit and return to my old, Dlink-only setup and that would be very unfortunate :/

Thanks a lot in advance!

Aurelia21
just joined

Re: Random micro stutters during music playback from SMB file shares

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:26 am

I also encountered a few cases of looping SMB music playback. Is there any way to fix this problem?