Community discussions

MikroTik App

ozairakhlaq
just joined
Topic Author

Winbox via wine on Ubuntu 18.04

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi

I am running latest Winbox via Wine to access my CHR. But it neither is discovered in neighbours nor it connects via its IP. I have connected the CHR with my physical interface via a cloud. And the CHR is obtaining an IP via DHCP from my router. See attachment for all information.

Please tell if any other information is required.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Winbox via wine on Ubuntu 18.04

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 am

I can confirm same issue on Ubuntu 18.04 - probably a kernel change in the higher 4.15+ kernels that affect WINE APIs to the network stack (i'm currently running 4.18.5).

I keep a windows VM installed with VIrtualBox as a just-in-case for situations where I absolutely need mac learning, as it can be hit and miss on WINE even pre-18.04.

It's not something that Mikrotik are likely to be able to fix, as Winbox is a windows application and running on WINE is not officially supported. All other aspects of Winbox work OK for me though.

Edit: Just saw you cant connect by IP either, that is the weirder part - I'd say its maybe firewalled off somewhere for 8291? Check your filter rules etc. Normal connectivity of Winbox works fine for me its just neighbor discovery that is not working for me.

ozairakhlaq
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:00 pm

I can confirm same issue on Ubuntu 18.04 - probably a kernel change in the higher 4.15+ kernels that affect WINE APIs to the network stack (i'm currently running 4.18.5).

I keep a windows VM installed with VIrtualBox as a just-in-case for situations where I absolutely need mac learning, as it can be hit and miss on WINE even pre-18.04.

It's not something that Mikrotik are likely to be able to fix, as Winbox is a windows application and running on WINE is not officially supported. All other aspects of Winbox work OK for me though.

Edit: Just saw you cant connect by IP either, that is the weirder part - I'd say its maybe firewalled off somewhere for 8291? Check your filter rules etc. Normal connectivity of Winbox works fine for me its just neighbor discovery that is not working for me.
Hey Joe

I have a Windows environment so its not much of a hitch if winbox doesnt work in Ubuntu, but I am trying to make use of Ubuntu to make myself more handy with Linux. I can work with VMs. But Its just very complicated and involves extra steps (I'll switch to VMs eventually if nothing works).

I enabled firewall also and explicitly allowed 8291, but still it doesnt work. Moreover, I cannot get to the router via browser also.

If it is getting DHCP I don't think there is some issue with IP config or routing, right?

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Discovering CHR via Winbox is very hit and miss. My CHR sometimes comes up if I refresh neighbours about 4 times and leave it for 5 mins. I wouldn't pin "all" of the blame on Winbox/WINE combo at this point.

ozairakhlaq
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Discovering CHR via Winbox is very hit and miss. My CHR sometimes comes up if I refresh neighbours about 4 times and leave it for 5 mins. I wouldn't pin "all" of the blame on Winbox/WINE combo at this point.
Showing in neighbours is not the problem, but it wont connect via IP aswell. I would also like to add that I am running GNS3 as root since running as a user wont allow KVM the permissions.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 pm

See also viewtopic.php?f=15&t=130551