Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

LTE Passthrough getting address as expected but no internet

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:55 am

Ive just got SXT LTE Kit. Standard setup works absolutely great. But the main router (RB3011) needs the LTE WAN address in my setup so Ive tried using passthrough mode and it works to a point but I cant actually get any working internet over the interface.

Ive setup SXT on my LAN by using DHCP client on the SXT bridge with eth1+2 so I can get to it easy for configuration. Ive then setup EoIP between SXT and RB3011 with EoIP as the passthrough interface and on the RB3011 a DHCP-CLIENT.

DHCP client on RB3011 gets the LTE WAN addresses as expected but I cant get any traffic or working internet over it. Ive got masquerading on the EoIP interface on the RB3011 and appropriate routes setup. It should work but doesn't.

Ive also tried using eth2 on the SXT as passthrough port and a wire to the RB3011 - same issue.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone any experience, any gotchas with this type of setup?

cvbkf
just joined

Re: LTE Passthrough getting address as expected but no internet

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:03 am

Which RouterOS version do you have on both devices ?

I have a WAP LTE Kit connected to an OPNSense firewall, which lost internet access after upgrading to RoS 6.43. After that, i did a downgrade back to 6.42.7 and the connection was back online.
I think this change in 6.43 caused or is related to the issue:
*) lte - use "/32" address for the Passthrough feature when R11e-LTE module is used;
With 6.43 the network interface of the opnsense gets a /32 IP-adress, with 6.42.7 it's a /28.

So, if you are on 6.43 try a downgrade to 6.42.7 on the SXT LTE
Last edited by cvbkf on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:08 am

Better print here diagram and export your config with hiding sensitive info.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:40 am

Well spotted about the /32 addressing.

I just noticed that 6.44beta6 was out and guess what is in the release notes:

lte - fixed DHCP relay packet forwarding when in passthrough mode;

Will test and report back.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:59 am

Doesnt work with 6.44beta6 or 6.42.7 or 6.43

Heres my export:
[admin@SXT-LTE] > export
# sep/12/2018 23:51:56 by RouterOS 6.42.7
# software id = CF7Q-26RP
#
# model = RBSXTR
# serial number = XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=B8:69:F4:01:2F:47 auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface eoip
add mac-address=02:97:27:9C:A5:46 name=eoip-tunnel1 remote-address=172.16.123.1 tunnel-id=4
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
/interface lte apn
set [ find default=yes ] default-route-distance=1
add apn=internet name=bridge-to-ether passthrough-interface=eoip-tunnel1 passthrough-mac=auto
/interface lte
set [ find ] apn-profiles=bridge-to-ether mac-address=AC:FF:FF:00:00:00 mtu=1500 name=lte1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/ip pool
add name=default-dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=default-dhcp interface=bridge name=defconf
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=LAN
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge list=LAN
add comment=defconf disabled=yes interface=lte1 list=WAN
add interface=ether1 list=LAN
add interface=ether2 list=LAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf disabled=yes interface=bridge network=192.168.88.0
/ip dhcp-client
add default-route-distance=2 dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=bridge
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment=defconf gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 name=router.lan
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new in-interface-list=\
WAN
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/London
/system identity
set name=SXT-LTE
/system leds
# using RSRP, modem-signal-treshold ignored
set 0 interface=lte1 type=modem-signal
/system logging
add topics=lte,!raw
add disabled=yes topics=debug
/system routerboard settings
set auto-upgrade=yes silent-boot=no
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
[admin@SXT-LTE] >

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:50 am

Just wanted to ping this as Im still know where on with this.

The setup is real simple. SXT-LTE and RB3011 on same /24 subnet. SXT-LTE on .4 and RB3011 on .1. There is EoIP tunnel between the two with the tunnel interface selected as the passthrough interface on the SXT-LTE APN. DHCP client sat on the corresponding EoIP interface on the RB3011.

Ive tried many many things to no avail. Has anyone any experience with this. Mikrotik support said they set this up and it worked so Im stumped as to what I might be doing wrong.

If I setup the SXT-LTE in the traditional way traffic flows nicely.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 am

Yeah I'm not sure, I'm no expert, but your config looks right...but passthrough is pretty weird, too. You can try setting the MAC address in the APN, that might help, but not sure. Whenever I've tried to do something, other than assign passthrough to a physical port, it never "just" worked - but setting the MAC address almost always worked (although if MAC isn't always known, you can't just set it in the APN :( )

The end of this video speak of an alternative approach to use passthrough on your ethernet jack, with mgmt LAN as a VLAN on top:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSJrplxIs6w&t=1534s

Basically it reverses your EoIP approach...use ether1 as passthrough, but add a VLAN with management lan. That video also give a clue at what's going on under-the-covers with LTE passthrough.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:02 am

I got passthrough working on a brand new setup. LHG-LTE6 with Audience. I set it up as ether1 passthrough and a vlan for management. Worked first time.

Tried the same setup on the SXT-LTE + RB3011 and still no traffic flow but DHCP received the WAN address as before. So scratching head. I happened to have a new hAPac2 so I set that up with the SXT-LTE and it works! Sooooo... Its something on the RB3011. Ive no idea what could stop it working.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2021 2:25 pm

Just revisiting this as I have an office wanting a 4G connection. They have RB3011 with very basic config - no joy getting it to work. Been trying all sorts with my own RB3011 - no joy. ** BRIDGING DOES NOT WORK WITH RB3011 ** and I suspect others too! The strangest thing is that when you torch the port on the router (RB3011) you only see the vlan traffic after he initial wan DHCP exchange. When I run a ping from the port I don't see it in torch.

I wish Mikrotik support would pitch in on this. Ive been using port 10 as that conveniently has PoE on it and is for this exact purpose. I also tried port 9. I should try port 5 and port 1 too. I'll report back on those. I have spare RB2011, need to test with that too.

Where I have got this to work with other Tiks, the best setup seems to be minimal settings on the LTE end - ether1 assigned as bridge port in LTE APN and vlan hanging off ether1 with DHCP client or fixed address for admin. At router end, a port not part of the bridge with DHCP client on it to receive LTE wan address, and hanging off that a matching vlan for admin, and this vlan can be added to the local bridge.

But what's going on with RB3011? I even tried putting a switch in between but then nothing worked which in itself is a bit odd. For sanity check I had hap ac2 with default config, port 1 as wan and mods as above for admin, and that worked.

What is everyone else experience?

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 20, 2021 3:18 pm

For administration, you tried using a loopback interface?

Regards.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Just revisiting this as I have an office wanting a 4G connection. They have RB3011 with very basic config - no joy getting it to work. Been trying all sorts with my own RB3011 - no joy. ** BRIDGING DOES NOT WORK WITH RB3011 ** and I suspect others too! The strangest thing is that when you torch the port on the router (RB3011) you only see the vlan traffic after he initial wan DHCP exchange. When I run a ping from the port I don't see it in torch.

I wish Mikrotik support would pitch in on this. Ive been using port 10 as that conveniently has PoE on it and is for this exact purpose. I also tried port 9. I should try port 5 and port 1 too. I'll report back on those. I have spare RB2011, need to test with that too.

Where I have got this to work with other Tiks, the best setup seems to be minimal settings on the LTE end - ether1 assigned as bridge port in LTE APN and vlan hanging off ether1 with DHCP client or fixed address for admin. At router end, a port not part of the bridge with DHCP client on it to receive LTE wan address, and hanging off that a matching vlan for admin, and this vlan can be added to the local bridge.

But what's going on with RB3011? I even tried putting a switch in between but then nothing worked which in itself is a bit odd. For sanity check I had hap ac2 with default config, port 1 as wan and mods as above for admin, and that worked.

What is everyone else experience?

LTE firmware is updated?

for check:
/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1

for run the upgrade
/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes

For me all is working as expected:

LTE side SXT R have 6.46.8 on both RouterOS and RouterBOOT, LTE firmware is MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v018
/interface vlan
add interface=ether1 name=vlan1 vlan-id=10

/interface lte apn
add apn=mobile.vodafone.it name="test passthrough" passthrough-interface=vlan1 passthrough-mac=auto passthrough-subnet-selection=p2p

/interface lte
set [ find ] apn-profiles="test passthrough" band=1,3,7,20 mac-address=AC:FF:FF:00:00:00 name=lte1 network-mode=lte

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Ok interesting - you are using the vlan for the wan passthrough not ether1 itself? Im sure I tried this combination and it didnt work. I will try...

About LTE firmware Im on R11e-LTE6_V027 (I updated my R11e card in SXT-R) the SXT is currently on 6.49beta44, Ive tried all versions. I guess I could roll back to same as yours.

Update: Tried it. Doesn't work. I noted you had p2p selected in the APN but Ive tried auto and p2p in every configuration Ive tried

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 20, 2021 6:25 pm

RB3011 is just netinstalled on 6.47.9 for you...
Try to do the same...

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2021 4:43 am

I managed to get hold of CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+. Works first time with my standard config on the SXT-LTE6 which is ether1 as passthrough port, and vlan hanging off that for management!

Next I will try to default the RB3011 and try again.

Ferrograph
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:16 am

Further info on this.

The problem seems to be when you have LTE passthorugh as a second WAN. Ive tested on several devices now and when you have a LTE or DHCP or PPPOE primary wan (distance=1) and then add an LTE connection as backup (distance=2) then it doesnt work, no traffic flows.

Even using /tool ping to say 8.8.8.8 and setting the interface to use as the LTE interface you get nothing accept timeout and not route to host. If I disable the primary WAN then it suddenly springs to life.

This is odd because Ive had PPTP WANs setup for years and Im able to use /tool ping on any of those and ping works as expected. I can even route single devices on the LAN to use those VPNs for outbound traffic but the same rules dont work for an LTE passthrough WAN.

Is this some undocumented routing table quirk?