MikroTik App

Lebzul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RouterOS ISP identifier

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to mask the ISP shown in the speedtest webpages? For example, to hide "Charter" and put my own but without dealing with public IPs, tables, rules, etc.
It would be great to have a simple option in RouterOS to change that without affecting the services provided by the ISP.
If someone has any hint to be shared, will be appreciated.

Regards

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS ISP identifier

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:10 pm

If you mean some external speedtest, then the answer is "no". If it shows name of your ISP, it's because connection came from there and it will happen as long as you use this ISP. And if you switch to another one, it will show name of the new ISP. In short, you can't hide on internet and no RouterOS option will help you.

Lebzul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:31 am

If you mean some external speedtest, then the answer is "no". If it shows name of your ISP, it's because connection came from there and it will happen as long as you use this ISP. And if you switch to another one, it will show name of the new ISP. In short, you can't hide on internet and no RouterOS option will help you.
Hi, I am not sure if I did explain myself. I have read a little bit about changing the name of the ISP as it is shown in "speedtest.net" to any other but that involves public IPs to be assigned and many more things. I was asking that if possible to have an easier approach to the RouterOS to have this because of the WISP system. I balance with a RB from two different ISP providers and it would be nice to have our own ISP shown in pages such as the one in speeds.net.

tippenring

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 am

I'm pretty rusty on internet records, but I'm thinking what you're looking for might be PTR DNS records, which your ISP has to set up. Either that, or the IP block you have needs updated with your RIR. I believe your upstream should be able to do that also. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to confirm or refute my poor memory.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:52 am

These are external websites, that pull the connecting IP and look it up in databases like MaxMind GeoIP DB. In some cases the information can also be pulled from the WHOIS or RIR. You cant control these websites.

RouterOS has nothing to do with your request - it is all about external sources and information tied to the connecting IP's

If you have a good relationship with the ISP, they might be able to update MaxMind for your allocated subnets/IP's with your information. Not many I know would do this though. If the website pulls from the whois objects, then its very unlikely to get that information changed.

Ultimately to do it the way you want, you need to get your own portable range and set it up with its own details as the IP owners. If you load balance out multiple ISP's now how do you maintain connections? Do you CG-NAT only so your clients dont get public IP's?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 am

I tried speedtest.net from three different places and I'm not sure from where they get the name. It's definitely not PTR records. Whois info on addresses doesn't contain the exact strings either.

But it's pretty simple, either you are real ISP with own addresses or you aren't. No option on your local router can change what will some remote website show. There isn't even any way how they could know that they should ask your router for the name.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 pm

You would have to tamper with the http contents of the page as the router forwards it, which is (luckily) impossible to do using RouterOS.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:30 am

I tried speedtest.net from three different places and I'm not sure from where they get the name. It's definitely not PTR records. Whois info on addresses doesn't contain the exact strings either.
They 100% pull primary data from MaxMind GeoIP DB, however they cache it so instant updates to MaxMind dont make it to Ookla, you have to submit a support ticket and ask them to pretty please update it.

Lebzul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:48 am

I see. I was asking that because I saw in a local University campus that their Wi-Fi had in speedtest.net another University as an ISP. I was wondering if that is possible with Mikrotik devices. Is that done through Cisco's?

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 am

I see. I was asking that because I saw in a local University campus that their Wi-Fi had in speedtest.net another University as an ISP. I was wondering if that is possible with Mikrotik devices. Is that done through Cisco's?
No they simply using an Ip Address registered to the another UNIVERSITY , nothing unserious

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 am

They will have their own allocated IP addresses from an RIR that they control, which is what we've been saying is how you get the name changed - get your own IP's from your RIR/NIC.