Community discussions

MikroTik App

tompark
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS VMWare - Internet Connection Very Slow

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi Guys,
I have downloaded the MirkoTik RouterOS OVA to use on a VMWare Server as a Edge Router. The VM has two interfaces ether1 (WAN) and ether2 (Internal). When ever I run a speed test through the router the internet connection download and upload speeds are around 0.89mb but the actual internet connection speed 250mbs. I have tried copying my configuration from my Mikrotik Router Board and uploading that to the Virtual Router but I am still getting the same speed results.

I have run a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and all hops respond on average with 3ms.

The RouterOS is 6.40.9 (bugfix), does anyone have any suggestions on what might be going on here or what I need to look at next. I have been through all of the configuration settings and can't find anything that jumps out as a problem.

Regards,
Tom

tompark
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RouterOS VMWare - Internet Connection Very Slow

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Would the license level cause this issue? The RouterOS is currently using a Free License (just for testing) will be upgraded to a paid license once we are happy that it is working as we are expecting it too.

Regards

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Would the license level cause this issue? The RouterOS is currently using a Free License (just for testing) will be upgraded to a paid license once we are happy that it is working as we are expecting it too.

Regards
The free license level allows CHR to run indefinitely. It is limited to 1Mbps upload per interface. All the rest of the features provided by CHR are available without restrictions. To use this, all you have to do is download disk image file from our download page and create a virtual guest.

tompark
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Ok so this should only be affecting upload and not the download speed?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:31 pm

You have two interfaces. While one downloads, the other one.... guess what?

... And is limited by 1mbit.

See the interfaces.

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:39 pm

For testing, you better apply for a trial instead of free license.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR#CHR_Licensing
In addition to the limited Free installation, you can also test the increased speed of P1/P10/PU licenses with a 60 trial.

You will have to have an account registered on MikroTik.com. Then you can request the desired license level for trial from your router that will assign your router ID to your account and enable a purchase of the license from your account. All the paid license equivalents are available for trial. A trial period is 60 days from the day of acquisition, after this time passes, your license menu will start to show "Limited upgrades", which means that RouterOS can no longer be upgraded.

If you plan to purchase the selected license, you must do it within 60 days of the trial end date. If your trial ends, and there are no purchases within 2 months after it ended, the device will no longer appear in your MikroTik account. You will have to make a new CHR installation to make a purchase within the required time frame.

To request a trial license, you must run the command "/system license renew" from the CHR device command line. You will be asked for the username and password of your mikrotik.com account.