Community discussions

MikroTik App

earcaesar1
just joined
Topic Author

Password Rules

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 pm

I am looking for some information on what characters are allowed in command line for creating a password. I am keep trying to use some special characters and it seem not accept them.

I have issues with the $ in the password.

If I set the password through winbox it works fine only seems to be an issue with command line.

password I am trying is te$t1234!

I have tried it as te$t1234! and "te$t1234!" when I try it as te$t1234! the $ is highlighted. If I try setting it up as "te$t1234!" the $ is yellow and the t1234is red. Please see the picture I have added.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Password Rules

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 am

It looks like RouterOS sees it as start of variable, you can escape it to get around it:
/user add name=test password="te\$t1234!"
Generally you can add any characters you want using escapes for ascii codes. This has the same result ($ = 0x24):
/user add name=test password="te\24t1234!"
But you have to be really carefull with special characters. RouterOS has no support for any character encoding. Only base 7-bit ascii characters are safe. Everything else is just saved as sequence of bytes and it might not work the same everywhere.