Community discussions

MikroTik App

cristianterreno2018
just joined
Topic Author

CCR1009 reset admin password and dont write in files

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:18 am

Hi guys, I have some ccr1009 which are configured as pppoe servers in my internal network. happens that the administrator's password is reset, that is, it is blank and all users are deleted. In addition, in some cases I can not write to the files .... for example, backups do not exceed 1.7MB when they should be 25members. There are 4 teams that I have in these conditions, it has running the latest versions of mikrotik and made them a netinstall, I put them back in their production posts and they failed again. Any ideas ? Thank you.

petertosh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CCR1009 reset admin password and dont write in files

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:15 am

There have been multiple times that this behavior was reported, going back at least to 2014, you can search the forum for admin reset or "failed to commit transaction: disk I/O error". I experienced something like this, too: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136578

Mikrotik support advised me "If router was Netinstalled to the latest version (installed during Netinstall process) and problem re-appeared, then router itself must be damaged". Problem is, there is no warranty anymore on my CCR1009. Right now I am trying to write everything I need (userman etc.) to an external USB-SSD. Will see how long this lasts.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:59 am

You should have done that from the beginning!
The flash space inside MikroTik routers (the 128MB you see) is really only for software and configuration storage, you should never put databases in there.
When you want to use userman or dude, always add some external flash storage (SD card or USB key) and put the database on there.
When you don't do that, there will be many writes to the internal flash and it will wear out.
Should that happen to an external flash, you can always replace it. With the internal flash that cannot be done (by the average person).

petertosh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 pm

You should have done that from the beginning!
Well, I use userman since last year and my DB is about 10 MB. At this site there is a maximum of about 50 active users at any time, so I thought that the flash should handle it. And I had tried previously with a SanDisk SDDD3-032G-G46 Ultra 32GB Dual USB stick, but this was remounted with a different name after a reboot or other failure so I abandoned the idea of userman on usb stick. But at least the Intel 80GB SSD has been remounted after reboots with the same name, so for now the system is running.

Now my question is, will the router stay stable in this configuration (with USB-SSD) or will the "disk I/O error" come back? Should I replace the router or wait?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:05 pm

When there are disk I/O errors and they remain after a netinstall, the router can effectively be scrapped.
(a technician with a suitable SMT soldering station could replace the flash, but it is likely not worth it)

petertosh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:06 pm

pe1chl, thanks for the answer. Am I right in thinking that a change of the flash-chip would work? Basically I am thinking of replacing the flash-chip, then NAND-format using the serial-console, then netinstall. I can export the license before changing chips and later import it back. Would that work? Is there any experience with this? (Change of chips would be done by a specialized service)

Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 pm

I think that should work but I have no experience with it, let's see if someone else answers it.

cristianterreno2018
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:16 am

how do you do this writing task on an external device ?

petertosh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:58 am

On my CCR I have a userman DB, several recurrent scripts writing backups and other files, one recurrent download from external websites and so on. All of these tasks I moved to the external USB-SSD. The SSD was formatted in ext3, then following commands moved the DB to USB:
[admin@MikroTik] >  /tool user-manager database save name=/disk1/UMBackup
[admin@MikroTik] >  /tool user-manager database set db-path=disk1/user-manager/
[admin@MikroTik] >  /tool user-manager database load name=/disk1/UMBackup
Source: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... se_example

In my scripts I just changed the paths to point to the SSD, in my case /disk4/...

Hope this answers you question?

cristianterreno2018
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:04 am

yes, tks ..! i will try and comment.