Community discussions

MikroTik App

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Is mikrotik a good choice?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi, I’m new here.
I’m interested to buy a mikrotik router for my home and I want to know if is a good choice.
I have a fiber connection and not a lot of devices connected: a Mac, a Phone, a tablet, a printer, 2 webcam, a printer, a Chromecast and a paytv decoder.
All is connected thru WiFi. In most cases I’m able to connect in 5ghz but for ex. the printers uses only 2.4ghz.
My home is small and on one level.
I’m using internet just to navigate, email, social and streaming (for ex. paytv, football, etc). No gaming.

I’m interested in hap ac2 (I don’t want to spend a lot and the lite version is not gigabit, and the mini version is monoband, so I think i’ts a good choice the ac2 version).

I saw a lot of discussions about weak performance on wireless...are those problems solved with the latest version of routeros?
Do you think it’s a good choice? (I know, we are on mikrotik forum so... 😁)

Thanks

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is mikrotik a good choice?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:29 pm

What is the download/upload bandwidth of your uplink?

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Many answers for many questions...but first, in resume.. OF COURSE mikrotik is a super option for router, maybe the best... but remember this...

A normal router from the ISP is the following devices..

GPON (in FTTH)/MODEM (in ADSL/VDSL) + Bridge + Router + Switch + AP

Mikrotik don't do/make directly GPON/MODEM. Forget this
In bridge/router is the BEST, but is not the easiest... This a FULL router where you have CONTROL of EVERYTHING, but is not a click click click router.
Switch Is easy and very good, even, they are ALL layer2/3 switchs
AP = They are good, but not the best, they are NOT focused on making home AP device, even, the 2 bands AP are new in mikrotik products.... and my personal recomendation is to have always a separate AP.,.. because if you spend in a gigabit router, it could be for years... but the ap could be changed when exist new bands, speed, protocols... etc etc etc...

They are many router WITHOUT AP.. only doing the best they know how to do.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Another question... how is you internet connection?

FTTH/VDSL/Cable?

Will you need an ONT before?

Will you do the authentication with PPPoE? This feature is a CPU usage, if you need to encapsulate the packages...

Or are you directly obtaining the IP address from the ISP bridge?

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:07 pm

ok, thanks, the connection I want is something like this:

ftth-->ont-->wifi router (the supposed to be Mikrotik hap ac2)

the first two are already in my home, I need the third one.

the mikrotik has to be configured with a V-Lan (835) on the Wan port and with a ppoe connection (that's what the ISP told me to be mandatory and I know it's possible with hap ac2)
and, of course it have to be a dchp.
by contract it's a gigabit connection (downl/up)

I also have a VPN connection but I prefer to manage it from the mac because it frequently happens that the public IP used by the VPN is banned on some sites. I use the vpn only to watch maybe foreign television, etc...so it's easier to deactivate from Mac Os instead to access the router every time.

I saw the hap ac2 in sale at 60-65€ and I think it's fair (I don't want to spend more and to have a lot of devices but I perfectly understand your suggestions) ;-)
the alternative is a Netgear AC1600 R6260 at the same price.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Good. Then you need a PPPoE auth. Is a recourse usage protocol.
Tell me, is really 1 Gbps up/down

It could be "difficult" for getting this speed with a PPPoE encapsulation with THIS hardware.

And after you learn how to work with RouterOS.. you will be do all in the router, even the VPN

you can create specific routes for certains "exits".. I have many VPN simultaneous and the routers, and directly when I try something in X country, the package goes in the correct way jejejeje

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:24 pm

As you don't need an ONT and the handover interface between the ISP boxes and your router is copper Ethernet, the hAP ac² seems to be a suitable choice interface-wise.

As your uplink is a gigabit one, you'll have to engage fasttracking even on the hAP ac² to make full use of the bandwidth, see the results of throughput measurement with different firewall settings and PPPoE as WAN.

So the only question open remains the WiFi interworking with various devices, as you've identified yourself. With your variety of devices, you cannot completely exclude some of them to perform worse than expected, but there is no way to know than by trying. And then opening a ticket with Mikrotik and providing them with all information they ask for to fix the issue for that device.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:33 pm

He need the ONT my friend.
He can't connect the fiber to the router, and even, with a fiber module, he doesn't have the auth factor in the ONT.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:36 pm

He need the ONT my friend.
According to what he wrote he doesn't:
ok, thanks, the connection I want is something like this:

ftth-->ont-->wifi router (the supposed to be Mikrotik hap ac2)

the first two are already in my home, I need the third one.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Maybe I am not understanding

He said:

FTTH - ONT - Router

and he HAS already the FTTH and the ONT..

He is going to buy the mikrotik and connect to the ONT he has already

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:45 pm

OK. Instead of "you don't need an ONT" I probably should have written "you don't need the ONT functionality to be provided by Mikrotik as you already have an ONT from the ISP" :-) The second part of the sentence was "the handover interface between the ISP boxes and your router is copper Ethernet", so I thought it was clear enough. My fault.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Ok. I understand and sorry for my bad english, is not my native language....
And "normally" (he doesn't say in that country is and the ISP) the ONT are only bridging, and in "many" times, the PPPoE is always in the router side, two or three times I saw the ONT doing like a router and giving ab "internal IP" in the eth side...

But super my friend!!!!!!

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 pm

yes, I can confirm that the ONT is provided by ISP (just to "translate" the fiber to the ethernet), so I don't need ont functionality IN the mikrotik.
I don't know if it's an effective gigabit connection, and, honestly, I don't care. I think that even if it is not 1000 but 100mbps, but REAL 100, it's suitable for most of daily activity.
the important thing is that the mac goes at full speed, maybe also my phone and paytv.
The printer or the cameras can go also at 5mbps, I don't care ;-)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:39 pm

What I had in mind when asking about uplink bandwidth was that there is little point in having the WiFi connection faster than the WAN one unless you have a lot of local traffic (streaming video from a local NAS to a mobile device, for example). But as your uplink is a 1 Gbit/s one (or at least the ISP says so), the difference between a 100 Mbit/s wireless connection and a 600 Mbit/s wireless connection may be significant if several devices need to donwload at the same time, causing you to wait for your videos to start playing for some fractions of a second longer if you have only 100 Mbit/s over the air. And this is where some devices' wireless chipsets used to cause some trouble to hAP ac². It's improving constantly so I have no idea whether that will affect your particular devices or not.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:06 pm

But know for you is IMPORTANT you uplink/downlink REAL speed, because WE (all together) need to measure which one kind of CPU do you need for handling it.

For example, look in this forum: movistar spain ppooe and you will find a lot of issues reaching 300 Mbps with certain equipment, because the encapsulation USES a lot of CPU and sometimes the mexium reacable speed was around 100 o 120 Mbps..

Then, you can apply fast track and other things..
please, inform your real SPEED... I need to know if the equipment is capable of encapsulate it at your maximum speed.

And yes, the port is gigabit, but the problem is not the LINK, the problem is you need to "convert" every package!

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Mikrotik don't do/make directly GPON/MODEM. ...
https://mikrotik.com/product/SFPONU

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:23 pm

the isp says 1000/300
and, granted, 300/200
I'm not yet at home so I can not tell more ...

I live most of the time alone, so I use one device at time (well, I can watch a football match while I'm using Facebook, but it's not relevant I suppose) :-D

I do not have a NAS.
chromecast streams for ex. a youtube video at max 1080, the paytv streams directly from their server in full hd (it can reach up to 4k indeed, but my television is not 4k capable, so i watch in 1080p)
and also my imac is not 4k capable.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 pm

You are right... but I didn't want to explain so much,...
the problem is the ONT from the ISP has the authentication in ONT, and you need to "hack" the original ONT, serials, etc etc etc and create a firmware for the mikrotik ont or something like that. Is not just plug the fiber and getting the internet.

Remember, the normal FTTH system are point-multipoint and ALL the fibers are enabled and "working".
For that the ISP has their own auth in the ONT.....

In the fiber box in your building, is a passive device and it has service.... is impossible for stopping the service in an end....

This is the "medium" explaining... do you understand me?

Mikrotik don't do/make directly GPON/MODEM. ...
https://mikrotik.com/product/SFPONU

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Ummm a LOT.... maybe this router is "small" for that.
But I prefer an answer from somebody from mikrotik.

Is this router cabale of getting 1 Gps using PPPoE with fastpath?
the isp says 1000/300
and, granted, 300/200
I'm not yet at home so I can not tell more ...

I live most of the time alone, so I use one device at time (well, I can watch a football match while I'm using Facebook, but it's not relevant I suppose) :-D

I do not have a NAS.
chromecast streams for ex. a youtube video at max 1080, the paytv streams directly from their server in full hd (it can reach up to 4k indeed, but my television is not 4k capable, so i watch in 1080p)
and also my imac is not 4k capable.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Ummm a LOT.... maybe this router is "small" for that.
But I prefer an answer from somebody from mikrotik.
I'm not from Mikrotik but I've done a measurement specifically targeted to performance when PPPoE is used, together with firewall in different level of optimization. I've provided the link to the results in my post #7 above. So yes, hAP ac² does handle 1 Gbit/s bidirectionally over PPPoE with fasttrack, spending about 30% of total CPU capacity on it; without fastrack, it is at slightly above 1/2 of that throughput, and the CPU load is at about 1/2 of the totally available capacity.

So really, my only concern would be the wireless compatibility.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 pm

the mikrotik has to be configured with a V-Lan (835) on the Wan port and with a ppoe connection
Just a word of caution: according to MT support, switch chip embedded in IPQ4xxx (the SoC used in hAP ac2) features a bug in scenario which includes pppoe-client run on top of vlan interface, PPPoE discovery packets and untagging them on egress (the last part being the problematic one). I guess this won't affect you as PPPoE will leave your RB tagged. Workaround is to use bridge vlan-filtering (it works just fine), but does put some stress on router's CPU - not neglectable with a few 100Mbps.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Sindy.. if you tried it. perfecto.....
And yes, you are focused on helping him with the wireless, and my, in the WAN (good team).

Then... it will handle the 1 Gpps... and now, finish the topic with the wireless jejeje

And for the last question, I don't think it will be a problem, it will work with the VLAN tag.. (i hope so)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 pm

@mkx, is that issue related to egress untagging of a VLAN tag or of the proprietary tag bearing the Ethernet interface address which the CPU uses to tell the switch which egress port to use?

Because a configuration where you would tag the PPPoE frames using /interface vlan and right after untag them on egress using the switch chip is quite an unusual one if the PPPoE client runs on the same device to which the WAN uplink is connected.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 am

@mkx, is that issue related to egress untagging of a VLAN tag or of the proprietary tag bearing the Ethernet interface address which the CPU uses to tell the switch which egress port to use?
The former.

I know it's unusual setup but it I'm using such setup (and not the only one, MT support wrote that the bug was discovered a few days before I reported it).
I didn't test but I guess it's not bound to scenario where PPPoE client runs on the buggy device which is untagging on egress as MT support stated this was bug in switch chip. So I guess bug could be triggered also if PPPoE client was running on another device and hAP ac2 was used only as access VLAN switch.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 am

uhmm I think I'm not understanding the wireless problem...
I saw that ac2 had problems with intel chipsets, but my imac has an atheros chipset, and my phone has Universal Scientific Industrial chipset, and my tablet mount a Broadcom BCM4334 chipset.
I don't know what kind of chipset is mounted in webcams, printer, chromecast and paytv receiver...but for ex. I use the printer really often. the webcams are basic vga cam so they don't need a lot of band...
the only problem can be on chromecast and on the paytv decoder.

As I said I do not need to make simultaneous connections, and I know that in theory to watch a 4k movie in streaming (for ex. on netflix) a 30mbps band is enough, so I do not understand the problem...

I mean, this summer I watched movies in full hd streaming with a 40mbps lte connection without slowdowns, simply using my phone as an hotspot for the tablet.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:06 pm

There are two levels of severity of wireless problems.

1) the connection between the AP and the device doesn't work at all
2) the connection works but the speed is lower than the maximum one which both the device and AP promise to support

People tend to be hysteric when they only get 100 Mbit/s where it should be 600 Mbit/s, which is understandable if they can make actual use of such speed. In your case, only case 1) is of immediate importance; case 2) would not be an urgent problem if it happened, as you've reasoned yourself.

There is another currently active topic here dealing with this kind of issue. It doesn't help things that devices labelled the same may contain chipsets from different vendors, so you'll have to try yourself whether all of your silicon zoo can connect to the hAP ac², and if not, report that to Mikrotik and help them resolve it.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:52 pm

thanks, I got it.
Anyway, buying it on amazon would have the advantage that, if it does not work something I could return it for free (or I can wait for mikrotik getting a solution). :-D

HarBenly

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Best one out there. using it for a almost a year. Go for it!

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Here I am again to you.
In the end I activated a less performing connection because actually that gigabit connection was too expensive and it was not worth it for my use.
I have instead activated a connection, always in ffth, at 200mbps, and the ISP has installed me a hap mini but in fact I have some troubles.

My mac disconnects randomly. the wifi icon is active and seems to be connected, but keeping a ping open on the router's ip (via mac os terminal) I see that it does not reach it.
this can happen 1 time a day or 10 times a day, for no apparent reason.
When this happens the router is not reachable for a few minutes (from 2-3 minutes up, on average, to 10-15) then it reconnects itself.
To speed up the reconnection I can disable and reactivate the wifi of the mac from the wifi icon.
With the other devices I did not notice disconnections.

The channel is currently set to Automatic, previously it was a fixed channel but I had the same problem. When I changed to another fixed channel I had big problems of connection, it almost never connected and when it was successful it remained connected a few seconds / minute, and then it fell.
There are no other routers on those channels and all the devices are at 4-8 meters distant, with no walls.

Unfortunately the router is blocked by the ISP so I can not do any change. But I think there is a problem more in terms of software than in channel (if I take another router and connect it to the mikrotik and put it on the same channel, it works perfectly ...)

Also I have unstable pings: from 1.300ms to 100.000ms (ping on the router) while when it was on the channel that did not work the pings were also 6.000.000ms.

The ISP says there are no problems on their side...so I dunno what to do...
I would still like to buy the ac2 so I can configure it as I want (and so for getting the full speed without the 100mbps cap of the mini hap due to his 100mbps lan port) but I don't want to have the same problem...

Do you think it's a routeros problem? or maybe it's an hardware incompatibility with mini hap?
my mac wifi card works properly with other routers/network, and anyway I just tried to erase all the network preferences without solve the problem...

nabilx
just joined

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:23 am

If you have access to the hap mini try to upgrade it.
viewtopic.php?t=131960#p649969

Klose
just joined

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:21 am

For me, the router's price is very attractive.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:14 pm

unfortunately the ISP does not give me the password to login, so I can not do anything.
However I think that it's a software problem because I never seen a problem of disconnections like this (it seems to me incompatibility between router and wifi card) and I never seen the impossibility to connect to a specific channel (...normal standard channels 1-11...)

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:27 pm

My friend, please, setup the Wireless in the channel with lower noise. Fixed channel.
Second, I think is impossible for measure a ping of 6.000.000 ms. It means you were waiting the "answer" for 6.000 sec = 1.66 HOURS. Is about 1:40 hours...
There is not equipment for a ICMP timeout so big....

When you try using wire, do you have the same "long" ping?
Here I am again to you.
In the end I activated a less performing connection because actually that gigabit connection was too expensive and it was not worth it for my use.
I have instead activated a connection, always in ffth, at 200mbps, and the ISP has installed me a hap mini but in fact I have some troubles.

My mac disconnects randomly. the wifi icon is active and seems to be connected, but keeping a ping open on the router's ip (via mac os terminal) I see that it does not reach it.
this can happen 1 time a day or 10 times a day, for no apparent reason.
When this happens the router is not reachable for a few minutes (from 2-3 minutes up, on average, to 10-15) then it reconnects itself.
To speed up the reconnection I can disable and reactivate the wifi of the mac from the wifi icon.
With the other devices I did not notice disconnections.

The channel is currently set to Automatic, previously it was a fixed channel but I had the same problem. When I changed to another fixed channel I had big problems of connection, it almost never connected and when it was successful it remained connected a few seconds / minute, and then it fell.
There are no other routers on those channels and all the devices are at 4-8 meters distant, with no walls.

Unfortunately the router is blocked by the ISP so I can not do any change. But I think there is a problem more in terms of software than in channel (if I take another router and connect it to the mikrotik and put it on the same channel, it works perfectly ...)

Also I have unstable pings: from 1.300ms to 100.000ms (ping on the router) while when it was on the channel that did not work the pings were also 6.000.000ms.

The ISP says there are no problems on their side...so I dunno what to do...
I would still like to buy the ac2 so I can configure it as I want (and so for getting the full speed without the 100mbps cap of the mini hap due to his 100mbps lan port) but I don't want to have the same problem...

Do you think it's a routeros problem? or maybe it's an hardware incompatibility with mini hap?
my mac wifi card works properly with other routers/network, and anyway I just tried to erase all the network preferences without solve the problem...

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm sorry, those are the values during the issue with the fixed channel with incompatibility problems (few minutes connected then the connection dropped):

64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20593 ttl=64 time=1.106 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20594 ttl=64 time=9.117 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20595 ttl=64 time=1.444 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20596 ttl=64 time=1001.384 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20597 ttl=64 time=1033.101 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20598 ttl=64 time=67.216 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20599 ttl=64 time=356.064 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20600 ttl=64 time=11.985 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20601 ttl=64 time=1689.592 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20602 ttl=64 time=739.624 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20603 ttl=64 time=284.389 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20604 ttl=64 time=355.536 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20605 ttl=64 time=7.931 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20606 ttl=64 time=2.030 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20607 ttl=64 time=1.638 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20608 ttl=64 time=1.916 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20609 ttl=64 time=69.548 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20610 ttl=64 time=24.315 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20611 ttl=64 time=5.847 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20612 ttl=64 time=2.511 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20613 ttl=64 time=1.460 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20614 ttl=64 time=36.485 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20615 ttl=64 time=2.434 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20617
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20616 ttl=64 time=2111.054 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20617 ttl=64 time=1110.350 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20618 ttl=64 time=1496.038 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20620 ttl=64 time=748.860 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20621 ttl=64 time=83.973 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20623
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20624
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20625
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20623 ttl=64 time=3678.486 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20624 ttl=64 time=2677.941 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20628
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20629
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20630
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20625 ttl=64 time=6737.358 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20626 ttl=64 time=5736.842 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20627 ttl=64 time=4736.788 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20628 ttl=64 time=3736.273 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20629 ttl=64 time=2734.735 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20630 ttl=64 time=1734.476 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20631 ttl=64 time=729.978 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20632 ttl=64 time=1883.099 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20633 ttl=64 time=880.844 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20634 ttl=64 time=254.967 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20635 ttl=64 time=116.320 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20636 ttl=64 time=1268.493 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20637 ttl=64 time=290.232 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20638 ttl=64 time=2325.129 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20639 ttl=64 time=1321.953 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20640 ttl=64 time=319.970 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20641 ttl=64 time=129.697 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20642 ttl=64 time=1213.285 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20643 ttl=64 time=210.389 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20644 ttl=64 time=2694.722 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20645 ttl=64 time=1694.713 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20646 ttl=64 time=694.535 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20647 ttl=64 time=305.937 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20648 ttl=64 time=2012.982 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20649 ttl=64 time=1128.094 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20650 ttl=64 time=125.739 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20651 ttl=64 time=1799.265 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20652 ttl=64 time=824.765 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20653 ttl=64 time=6875.559 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20654 ttl=64 time=5873.657 ms

and this is the actual situation (set to auto):
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56740 ttl=64 time=1.585 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56741 ttl=64 time=1.927 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56742 ttl=64 time=1.636 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56743 ttl=64 time=2.383 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56744 ttl=64 time=1.382 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56745 ttl=64 time=1.799 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56746 ttl=64 time=1.507 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56747 ttl=64 time=1.949 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56748 ttl=64 time=2.711 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56749 ttl=64 time=1.111 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56750 ttl=64 time=1.810 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56751 ttl=64 time=1.884 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56752 ttl=64 time=1.083 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56753 ttl=64 time=1.472 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56754 ttl=64 time=1.672 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56755 ttl=64 time=2.357 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56756 ttl=64 time=2.081 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 56757
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56758 ttl=64 time=70.810 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56759 ttl=64 time=1.525 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56760 ttl=64 time=5.153 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56761 ttl=64 time=3.443 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56762 ttl=64 time=1.185 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56763 ttl=64 time=1.885 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56764 ttl=64 time=1.689 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56765 ttl=64 time=27.647 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56766 ttl=64 time=3.096 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56767 ttl=64 time=35.419 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56768 ttl=64 time=1.324 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56769 ttl=64 time=1.115 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56770 ttl=64 time=104.078 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56771 ttl=64 time=1.307 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56772 ttl=64 time=1.274 ms

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Ohhh you have a DOT (decimals)... 1.106 ms means 1 seg and 106 ms jajajajaja
NOT 1106 ms....

And with wire?

Give me a frequency scan please...
I'm sorry, those are the values during the issue with the fixed channel with incompatibility problems (few minutes connected then the connection dropped):

64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20593 ttl=64 time=1.106 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20594 ttl=64 time=9.117 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20595 ttl=64 time=1.444 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20596 ttl=64 time=1001.384 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20597 ttl=64 time=1033.101 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20598 ttl=64 time=67.216 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20599 ttl=64 time=356.064 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20600 ttl=64 time=11.985 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20601 ttl=64 time=1689.592 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20602 ttl=64 time=739.624 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20603 ttl=64 time=284.389 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20604 ttl=64 time=355.536 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20605 ttl=64 time=7.931 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20606 ttl=64 time=2.030 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20607 ttl=64 time=1.638 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20608 ttl=64 time=1.916 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20609 ttl=64 time=69.548 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20610 ttl=64 time=24.315 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20611 ttl=64 time=5.847 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20612 ttl=64 time=2.511 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20613 ttl=64 time=1.460 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20614 ttl=64 time=36.485 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20615 ttl=64 time=2.434 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20617
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20616 ttl=64 time=2111.054 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20617 ttl=64 time=1110.350 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20618 ttl=64 time=1496.038 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20620 ttl=64 time=748.860 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20621 ttl=64 time=83.973 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20623
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20624
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20625
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20623 ttl=64 time=3678.486 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20624 ttl=64 time=2677.941 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20628
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20629
Request timeout for icmp_seq 20630
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20625 ttl=64 time=6737.358 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20626 ttl=64 time=5736.842 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20627 ttl=64 time=4736.788 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20628 ttl=64 time=3736.273 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20629 ttl=64 time=2734.735 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20630 ttl=64 time=1734.476 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20631 ttl=64 time=729.978 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20632 ttl=64 time=1883.099 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20633 ttl=64 time=880.844 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20634 ttl=64 time=254.967 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20635 ttl=64 time=116.320 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20636 ttl=64 time=1268.493 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20637 ttl=64 time=290.232 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20638 ttl=64 time=2325.129 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20639 ttl=64 time=1321.953 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20640 ttl=64 time=319.970 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20641 ttl=64 time=129.697 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20642 ttl=64 time=1213.285 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20643 ttl=64 time=210.389 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20644 ttl=64 time=2694.722 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20645 ttl=64 time=1694.713 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20646 ttl=64 time=694.535 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20647 ttl=64 time=305.937 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20648 ttl=64 time=2012.982 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20649 ttl=64 time=1128.094 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20650 ttl=64 time=125.739 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20651 ttl=64 time=1799.265 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20652 ttl=64 time=824.765 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20653 ttl=64 time=6875.559 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=20654 ttl=64 time=5873.657 ms

and this is the actual situation (set to auto):
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56740 ttl=64 time=1.585 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56741 ttl=64 time=1.927 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56742 ttl=64 time=1.636 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56743 ttl=64 time=2.383 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56744 ttl=64 time=1.382 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56745 ttl=64 time=1.799 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56746 ttl=64 time=1.507 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56747 ttl=64 time=1.949 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56748 ttl=64 time=2.711 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56749 ttl=64 time=1.111 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56750 ttl=64 time=1.810 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56751 ttl=64 time=1.884 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56752 ttl=64 time=1.083 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56753 ttl=64 time=1.472 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56754 ttl=64 time=1.672 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56755 ttl=64 time=2.357 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56756 ttl=64 time=2.081 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 56757
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56758 ttl=64 time=70.810 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56759 ttl=64 time=1.525 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56760 ttl=64 time=5.153 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56761 ttl=64 time=3.443 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56762 ttl=64 time=1.185 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56763 ttl=64 time=1.885 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56764 ttl=64 time=1.689 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56765 ttl=64 time=27.647 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56766 ttl=64 time=3.096 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56767 ttl=64 time=35.419 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56768 ttl=64 time=1.324 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56769 ttl=64 time=1.115 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56770 ttl=64 time=104.078 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56771 ttl=64 time=1.307 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=56772 ttl=64 time=1.274 ms

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 pm

wired:

64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=282 ttl=64 time=0.290 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=283 ttl=64 time=0.303 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=284 ttl=64 time=0.233 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=285 ttl=64 time=0.294 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=286 ttl=64 time=0.312 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=287 ttl=64 time=0.263 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=288 ttl=64 time=0.281 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=289 ttl=64 time=0.285 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=290 ttl=64 time=0.273 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=291 ttl=64 time=0.402 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=292 ttl=64 time=0.343 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=293 ttl=64 time=158.066 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=294 ttl=64 time=75.988 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=295 ttl=64 time=62.528 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=296 ttl=64 time=65.183 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=297 ttl=64 time=0.360 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=298 ttl=64 time=0.371 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=299 ttl=64 time=0.392 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.1: icmp_seq=300 ttl=64 time=0.359 ms

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:54 pm

and also the speed is actually 9mbps (wired or wireless...same value).
First days it was 50-70mbps wireless and 90mpbs wired...

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:57 pm

If you have issue with your speed using wire, this is not your problem, is ISP.....

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I agree, but the problem with the wifi channel/ping/disconnection is not an ISP fault but a router issue...

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Yes, but the interferences are NOT a "router" issue.
Remember, in 2.4 Ghz thare are: Microwave oven, bluetooth device, PS3, Ps4 controls, all the OTHER WIFI surrounding, wireless phone (for fixed lines), video sender, etc etc

ALll of those device makes interference in the WIFI, all are in 2.4 ghz
For that is very difficult to find "clear" channels... and you can't avoid it. You can't say to all your customers. SWITCH OFF all the devices.

Try another channel, and please, put a usage datagram of the spectrum.

nabilx
just joined

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Ohhh you have a DOT (decimals)... 1.106 ms means 1 seg and 106 ms jajajajaja
NOT 1106 ms....
It's a Mac book problem i see :D
Never saw decimals on ping elsewhere.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 pm

ok, I think I came to a conclusion:
the ethernet cable I use from the ONT/FIBER to the mikrotik has problems...it works but it reach at maximum 9mbps...
using another cable and connecting the mac, via ethernet, to the mikrotik goes up to 95mbps.
I'm sorry but recently with the same cable I reached the same speed, probably the connector is damaged...

chapter wireless: the mikrotik suffer a lot the radio interference, in my opinion, and the stability/speed changes a lot from channel to channel.
I have a situation that is something like that:

channel 1: no connection problems but maximum speed reached 9mbps
channel 2: no connection problems but maximum speed reached 3mbps
channel 3: no connection problem and maximum speed reached of 45mbps
channel 4: big connection problems, almost impossible to connect to the router

with the same channels and other routers (previously a technicolor provided by the old isp) or with my old airport extreme I do not have these big differences in speed, and no connection problems.

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, the ISP does not give me access to the router, so I can not try to figure out which channel is better ... the mac tells me 11 but the ISP told me that there is no 11 ... comes up to 9 ... and that seems like a lie...

Basically the best thing is to take the hap ac2 and manage it at best. ;-)

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:50 pm

The situation is RIGHT NOW. THe inferences could be a new microwave from a neighbor , a new wireless network.... is not a constant in the time, and maybe at 3 am you will have a super connection.

You don't need access to the router for making a spectrum analysis, donwload InSidder and make a spectrum capture.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 pm

https://imgur.com/a/YNmz9SZ

I made it with Netspot, I hope it's fine.
with this channel I can't get more than 9mbps...

I know that is not a constant in time, but I mean that if RIGHT NOW I plug my airport, for example on channel 6 I can perfectly reach the airport and get on internet. If after 1 minute I switch back on Mikrotik, on channel 6, I can connect but doesn't reach any website, than the connection drops. If I plug back the airport everything goes flawlessy. And I can replicate this 1-2-3...1000 times.
Same cable, same position and almost the same time.
So I can say that Mikrotik has some problems with wireless signal/noise/etc

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:32 pm

I see You test shows 46% of signal - but it shows your Mikrotik using 40MHz too. Try to change it to 20MHz of channel width and test again.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Again, I can't access the router...is blocked by ISP :-(

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:48 pm

I understand your problem my friend, but understand also US and Mikrotik.
If you can't change anything in the router and your have "wrong" (really is not wrong, maybe is not suitable for you) options... we can't do anything....

For you now maybe the best channel is channel 9 o 10... (but anyway, it has noise...) in 20 Mhz bandwidth....

And the airport also is running on 5 Ghz I think so....
Is not a good comparation.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:18 am

sure, I know, I understand very well and I know it's not your fault! :-)
Unfortunately, with a blocked router, we can not do anything, I can only buy an ac2 and set it up with your advice.

two more things:

channel 9 is the one that gave me problems of impossibility to connect from every device in my house.
currently is configured on auto by the ISP, it only hooks channels 3-6-8.
The 3 is stable but slow, the 6 does not reach 1mbps, the 8 is the most performing (15-40mbps), but it changes a lot over time.

my airport is an old model, it has the 5ghz network but not simultaneously with the 2.4ghz (or one or the other), and since here some devices are only 2.4ghz (printer, webcam) is set on 2.4ghz.
For this reason I say that at the same time, frequency and position it suffers less the noise, as far I can see here. ;-)

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:02 am

Ok. I understand you alsoi.
Did you try Insidder for doing a good spectrum scan?
sure, I know, I understand very well and I know it's not your fault! :-)
Unfortunately, with a blocked router, we can not do anything, I can only buy an ac2 and set it up with your advice.

two more things:

channel 9 is the one that gave me problems of impossibility to connect from every device in my house.
currently is configured on auto by the ISP, it only hooks channels 3-6-8.
The 3 is stable but slow, the 6 does not reach 1mbps, the 8 is the most performing (15-40mbps), but it changes a lot over time.

my airport is an old model, it has the 5ghz network but not simultaneously with the 2.4ghz (or one or the other), and since here some devices are only 2.4ghz (printer, webcam) is set on 2.4ghz.
For this reason I say that at the same time, frequency and position it suffers less the noise, as far I can see here. ;-)

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 am

I haven't found inssider free for mac... :-(
it's really different from netspot?

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 pm

This progrma also show you interferences, not just WIFI... it show anything in 2.4 Ghz. Of course, you won't know what is.. but it will show "noise".
Dont you have a "normal" pc? jajaja

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:15 pm

A rough idea... you've said you've purchased a hAP ac², right? As there is a copper Ethernet cable between the ONT and the ISP's Mikrotik, you can connect your hAP ac² in bridge mode with hardware acceleration switched off and use /tool sniffer to capture the WAN traffic of the ISP's Mikrotik as it would be forwarded through the bridge. If your ISP uses PPPoE, there is a fair chance that the password goes in plaintext so you might be able to see the username and password and use them to set up the PPPoE client of your hAP ac² the same way; if they use DHCP, it is even easier.

So you could replace their Mikrotik by our own one and have full acccess to configuration.

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Yeah, why not? For home-use, private projects and WISPs - Mikrotik is a great choice.
For serious businesses and enterprise MT currently is awful and a waste of money in my opinion.

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:43 pm

This progrma also show you interferences, not just WIFI... it show anything in 2.4 Ghz. Of course, you won't know what is.. but it will show "noise".
Dont you have a "normal" pc? jajaja
tried now on windows virtualized on the mac but the airport card is virtualized ad a shared ethernet controller, so Inssider don't see a valid wireless card... :-(

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50 pm

A rough idea... you've said you've purchased a hAP ac², right? As there is a copper Ethernet cable between the ONT and the ISP's Mikrotik, you can connect your hAP ac² in bridge mode with hardware acceleration switched off and use /tool sniffer to capture the WAN traffic of the ISP's Mikrotik as it would be forwarded through the bridge. If your ISP uses PPPoE, there is a fair chance that the password goes in plaintext so you might be able to see the username and password and use them to set up the PPPoE client of your hAP ac² the same way; if they use DHCP, it is even easier.

So you could replace their Mikrotik by our own one and have full acccess to configuration.
no no...wait! ;-)
My ISP gave me the pppoe settings to configure my router (username, password, vlan tag number), if I buy one.
The password they don't want to give me is that one to access the settings of the mikrotik (so I can't change channel, frequency or whaterver)
And: I don't have yet an ac2. I'm going to buy it (not yet bought...). I just wait price dropping (during this week Amazon raised the price of 20€...) :-(

Anthony82
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi, I'm back to you with some news.

First of all I've changed my ethernet cable between ont/router with a cat7 cable
then I finally got the password of the Hap Mini from my isp, so I can get into!
The router was configured as an ap bridge, on 2ghz BGN, 20/40mhz Ce, Auto Frequency.
I tried to change some settings, first of all the Ce in eC (just because Mac Os says the best channel was the 11th), then the 20/40 in 20.
I tried also to switch between all the channels... and I found best results in high frequencies/20mhz:

hap mini goes almost up to 70-80mbps
airport extreme goes almost up to 90-95mbps (I put the airport in 5ghz, if I set 2,4 the results are similar to hap mini), and the general speed seems to be more stable.

So I think I've finally found a solution.
I'm waiting for a brand new hap ac2 (it's actually out of stock and I hope they can send me one asap), so I'll can get full speed and also in 5ghz.
I'll coming back to you if I need some help to configure the new device... ;-)

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 am

Super!!!!!!!!