Community discussions

MikroTik App

mlsmith
just joined
Topic Author

WAN Failover/Redundancy Configuration

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:03 pm

I have played with MT in the past, but never to the point that I am about to. I can get what I am looking for ~$1000 as appliances all day long, but would like to use MT since it is allot more dynamic in what all we can do with it, such as QOS and BW Limiting/Shaping.

I host servers (Exchange, Web, DNS etc.) for Corp's. Currently we are working over one DSL line (static IP's) and the DNS Servers for the companies are hosted on our network. We are running out of upstream bandwidth (512K). We are able to get a Cable connection with static IP's that does 5M Down and 3M Up. What I am looking to do, is not bonding, but provide WAN Failover.

The Appliances I'm looking at, have built in DNS Servers and multiple WAN Interfaces. I set the Primary DNS Server to be on one IP from ISP1 and the secondary to be one one ip from ISP2. When ISP1 goes down the Appliance replies back to DNS inquires that come into the secondary DNS servers IP with the appropiete IP from ISP2. Vice Versa of course the same. This provides a complete up and down stream failover.

Problem is the Box must have a trigger saying if WAN1 down supply IP from WAN2 and if WAN2 down supply IP from WAN1. If all WAN's UP I'm fine with only dishing out IP's from either or. Alternativly/Ideally If all WAN's are up just round robin or load balance.

Is this doable with MT and can somebody help me doing this? I am willing to pay of course. We would setup a project on rentacoder or getafreelancer.

I hope it is clear what I am trying to do, if not please just ask.

--Michael

aitsecurity
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: WAN Failover/Redundancy Configuration

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:00 am

you give a topology of you network, or explain better this.

Problem is the Box must have a trigger saying if WAN1 down supply IP from WAN2 and if WAN2 down supply IP from WAN1. If all WAN's UP I'm fine with only dishing out IP's from either or. Alternativly/Ideally If all WAN's are up just round robin or load balance.

Is this doable with MT and can somebody help me doing this? I am willing to pay of course. We would setup a project on rentacoder or getafreelancer.

I hope it is clear what I am trying to do, if not please just ask.

--Michael[/quote]

mneumark

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:47 am

Michael,

MT can do this pretty easy with very little setup.

Both the manual and wiki would be a great resource for more details. Here is a link to a page that will help you out.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/ECMP_Failover_Script

mlsmith
just joined
Topic Author

Clarification.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:51 am

Ok, let me try again, sorry for not being clear the first time.

We host email and application servers in our office, for outside companies. We have the services setup via port mapping and/or live IP's with port restriction.

Say we have:

Cox Cable with the static IP of: 260.1.1.2-5 ( I know not valid)
AT&T DSL with static IP of: 270.1.1.2-5

we have mail.foobar.com domain name. Internet user types in mail.foobar.com in his or her browser, mail.foobar.com has the the following two domain name servers set: 260.1.1.2 and 270.1.1.2

So if the users pc does a lookup, it ends up at the Appliance (in our case MT Box). If the DNS Query to MT Box IP 260.1.1.2 fails the PC tries the ns server 2 which is 270.1.1.2. Here we already have incoming DNS failover.

so the so mail.foobar.com actually has two IP's one for each WAN Link
and 270.1.1.3

I don't know if MT has a fully functioning dns server built in or not.

Now the MTbox checks the WAN Links, and if both links are up it replys back to the DNS query with an IP depending on which WAN connection is used less.
If one WAN link is down, it replys with the other corresponding
IP, ie. if 260.1.1.2 is down it dishes out 270.1.1.3 and if 270.1.1.2 is down it responds with 260.1.1.3.

mneumark

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:13 am

Michael,

You can use Netwatch to see if the main gateway is up. If it fails then have netwatch run a script that will switch over to the configuration you want.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:22 am

Some appliances do the inbound load balancing / failover by providing the authoritative DNS answers to the outside world. They hand back A records for whichever link to use. We (changeip) can support this same type of DNS round-robin / failover with our ddns update script on mikrotik. You ddns update the hosts you wish with any IPs/ WANs that are available while we take care of the DNS. This also allows you to use dynamic ips. If you want more info or would like to test it out email me.

smichelsza
just joined

Re: WAN Failover/Redundancy Configuration

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:08 am

Hi Changeip

You advise to contact you regarding a "changeip" script for DNS round-robin and failover. We have two WAN interfaces (connected to different ISP's) on the same routerboard and are specifically looking at failover so that inbound traffic can always get to the router via a single domain name (via either of the two different ISPs/WANs) - round-robin is not required. One of the WAN interfaces always has priority. A pointer is the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks