Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ryzz
just joined
Topic Author

3011UiAS PPPoe Client not connecting - NBN Australia

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:59 am

Hi, was after a little bit of help please. Im in the process of moving to a new internet provider with my Mikrotik, both providers are part of the Australian NBN Network. My current provider uses a PPPoe client with login credentials as the underlying connection. As soon as the PPPoe client is activated, it connects instantly, receives a DHCP IP address,etc.

When i try and connect to the new NBN Provider, again with a PPPoe client on the Mikrotik, this time however the new provider doesnt require any authentication, just a simple PPPOe client. The client sits in "connecting" mode and never reports the PPP session as established/connected. Interestingly though i can pass traffic over the link whilst the client is "Connecting". However looking in the logs, i can see the PPPoe client constantly (ie once a minute, maybe more) disconnecting and reconnecting continuously.

I'm not really sure whats causing this issue and at a loss of how to stop it. Appreciate if anyone can provide some feedback please.

RouterOS V: .6.40.9

Thx

rjscomms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 3011UiAS PPPoe Client not connecting - NBN Australia

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:17 am

Hello,

I'm from Australia and so far have had no problems getting NBN stuff to work.

With your new provider, are you sure you need PPPoE or will a simple DHCP client setup work?

I know iinet don't use PPPoE for example and a DHCP client works fine.

Who is the new provider?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Also Aus, NBN provider to be exact. NBN is L2 network - RSP has choice of PPPoE, IPoE or any other 'auth' method.

If your provider says you dont need authentication, then they are likely using IPoE. On your device, this means a DHCP Client (ip -> DHCP Client) added to the WAN interface. DHCP client options include adding default route and peer DNS etc. This is likely why your traffic is actually working, default config probably has a DHCP client running on your WAN interface, and your PPPoE interface constantly failing has no bearing on anything else other than filling up your log and sending unanswered PADI's into the network.

Try disabling the PPPoE interface, if it still works then your good to go.

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Try disabling the PPPoE interface, if it still works then your good to go.
Disable your PPPoE interface and put a DHCP client on the ethernet interface you are using for the NBN. Some modem/routers - like the Telstra ones - will automatically try PPPoE (given you have put your PPP login in) and DHCP/IPoE until something works but they have to work on ADSL and NBN lines. If you aren't sure ask your ISP what they use.