Community discussions

WeWiNet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

MacOS Winbox features and limitations

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi all,

using Winbox on MacOS via Wine for a while, I only discovered last week during MTCNA workshop
that Winbox under Windows offers much more (at least say much more useful) features.
Now I wonder which feature don't work due to the my personal Wine setup and which are just not possible
with a MAC.

Looking for your feedback and advice, and maybe some WINE tuning options to get a bit more
our of a MAC:

My limitations I see:
[list][/list] No file drag and drop
[list][/list] No windows like copy via CTRL-C/CTRL-V in Winbox graphical menus (only via "right click -> copy or paste", I hate that)
[list][/list] in terminal CTRL-V does not show indication that autocomplete is on via ">>"
[list][/list] No MAC Winbox connection
[list][/list] No ROMON ...
and the list goes one...

Again maybe those are due to my limited WINE knowledge and setup. I just don't know. Hence asking here
the question. Maybe someone can advice how to get them work in MacOS

Last question: Do you know if it is possible to get MAC Winbox to work via thunderbolt, or via USB-to-Ethernet adaptor?

Appreciate your guys feedback.
WeWiNet

MTCNA
hapac2, map, hap-lite, ltap-mini, RB4011 :-) !!!

bramwittendorp
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: MacOS Winbox features and limitations

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi WeWiNet,

I personally use the WinBox for Mac from Joshaven.com, which can be found on: http://joshaven.com/resources/tools/winbox-for-mac/.
  • No file drag and drop
    >> I have this problem as well, but that is not a WinBox issue, but an dependency in Wine
  • No windows like copy via CTRL-C/CTRL-V in Winbox graphical menus (only via "right click -> copy or paste", I hate that)
    >> I believe I can use CTRL-C / CTRL-V but only on readable fields, but I use copy past without any hatered.
  • in terminal CTRL-V does not show indication that autocomplete is on via ">>"
    >> Never experienced this, but not tried either.
  • No MAC Winbox connection
    >> In my occasion I have to put any IP-address in the network configuration, without an IP-adres the network adapter won't become active, and so it doesn't use Layer 2 functionality to do MAC-discovery.
  • No ROMON ...
    >> RoMON needs to be enabled in the router to be able to use it, but I found I could use it.
Last question: Do you know if it is possible to get MAC Winbox to work via thunderbolt, or via USB-to-Ethernet adaptor?
So yeah! This is possible, just try to configure an IP-address on the Interface in order to make the interface active and be able to use Layer2 functionality on the interface.
Bram - MikroTik enthusiast - MTCNA / MTCRE / MTCWE / MTCIPv6E
Don't be shy, share your /export hide-sensitive and make sure to read this.

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:34 pm

MAC Winbox and ROMON are working on the build from joshaven.
Ctrl-C and ctrl-V as well (ctrl-, not cmd-).
Drag’n’drop does’t work, but that’s no big deal.
The rest: there is some oddity, when pasting to terminal, but again - no big deal.

WeWiNet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, indeed Joshaven WINE Winbox implementation does offer MAC connection, mine did indeed not work.
Just tested it today! Soooo simpler for programming the single port map and cap light device if you can use MAC and don't need IP!!!
That drove me nuts in the past...
(I even purchased a USB to Ethernet dongle hoping it might be a thunderbolt to Ethernet issue, but it was not as it turns out)
What a big step forward.
Again thanks.
WeWiNet

MTCNA
hapac2, map, hap-lite, ltap-mini, RB4011 :-) !!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Actually, I personally have switched to an easier solution:

1. install Wine from the WineHQ homepage
2. run winbox.exe file

It works and there are no limitations
No answer to your question? How to write posts