Community discussions

MikroTik App

BrianAmira
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth test can't connect outside local subnet

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 pm

After years of using the RouterOS Bandwidth Test features without issue, everything seems to have stopped working. I'm aware of the authentication changes in 6.43.2 and have change my configuration accordingly. I have also discontinued my use of the BTest.exe windows app and I am only working with multiple routers at this time. I have multiple routers on our internal network and none of my testing traverses the internet or any public network.

With Windows BTest depreciated, I setup a Mikrotik router on my desk as a 5 port switch, with no routing or firewall rules. This router is able to check for updates on the internet and successfully ping all my other internal routers. There appears to be no IP routing issues along any path.

Observed issues:
1) bandwidth testing between two routers on same subnet works with and without authentication.
2) testing between any two routers on different internal subnets fails with a "can't connect" error, with or without authentication enabled.

Anyone else running into something like this? I welcome any suggestions on this one as we are at wits end without a replacement for testing at this time.

Thanks!

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Bandwidth test can't connect outside local subnet

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi!

I cannot help you, but I have the same problem...
Did you find a solution?

BrianAmira
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi!

I cannot help you, but I have the same problem...
Did you find a solution?

Unfortunately I have not been able to solve this and MikroTik support has been completely unhelpful as well. I've gone back and forth with them for weeks (it takes a few days between each of their emails), sending them configs and support dumps, only to have them tell me something must be blocking communication but they don't see anything wrong. My routers have full communication between each other, PING, Telnet, and SSH without issue. Only bandwidth testing does not work and it looks like it never will.

We are currently investigating the replacement of 30+ mikrotik devices because of this.

valeb
just joined

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi,
I also have the same problem.
Did you have news ?

BrianAmira
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:08 am

Still an issue and looks like it will never get fixed.

BrianAmira
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:19 am

I will gladly pay $500 to anyone who can solve this problem! Over a year and a half later and the issue remains.

--Brian

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:14 am

I will gladly pay $500 to anyone who can solve this problem! Over a year and a half later and the issue remains.

--Brian
Haha...
There is no issue.
You cant start a bandwidth test either because the firewall blocks you( on the dst router ) or because bandwidth server is disabled on the other router or both... the port used for bandwidth test is 2000.

BrianAmira
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:29 am

--Brian
Haha...
There is no issue.
You cant start a bandwidth test either because the firewall blocks you( on the dst router ) or because bandwidth server is disabled on the other router or both... the port used for bandwidth test is 2000.
I can 100% confirm that neither of those is the cause. Those are so simple to look for that anyone who can figure out RouterOS configs surely would have noticed those! There is something much deeper at play here and we have never found the cause. We are not the only customer to report the issue and the MikroTik's built in BT functions are the only items which do not function on our network, despite the fact they did for years.

No money for you today. ;-)

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Well i dont know about you but i can confirm bandwidth test works just fine outside the local network.
There were even some public bandwidth test servers available for those who wanted to make some tests and they worked great!

BrianAmira
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Well i dont know about you but i can confirm bandwidth test works just fine outside the local network.
There were even some public bandwidth test servers available for those who wanted to make some tests and they worked great!
Agreed, that is not the problem. The issue appears when you have multiple Mikrotik routers on a muti-subnet private ip network. My original post explains it more.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Agreed, that is not the problem. The issue appears when you have multiple Mikrotik routers on a muti-subnet private ip network. My original post explains it more.
There must be something extremely special about your network layout/setup (like, just a guess, asymmetric routing) that messes up with bandwidth test, because for any common setup it works as it is supposed to, no matter one or different subnets, public or private addreses, number of hops between, etc.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Agree with @xvo, something in your setup makes bandwidth test unable to work.

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:21 am

--Brian
I believe I have your fix.

Is the bounty still up? $500 USD?

Vooray
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:16 pm

~~~
Last edited by Vooray on Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erbit
just joined

Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:34 pm

Is the bounty still up? $500 USD?
Add inflation ;)