Community discussions

mcisar
just joined
Topic Author

IPV6 to remote site over IPV4 VPN

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:27 am

Hoping someone can give me some hints in the right direction.

We have a Mikrotik at our main office and another at a branch office. The two sites are connected via a VPN... all is working well. We've recently upgraded the internet connection at the main branch and now have native IPV4 and IPV6 connectivity at that location... the branch office has IPV4 with IPV6 connectivity through HE tunnelbroker.

Since we now have native IPV6 at the main office (we have a /48) it makes sense to split off a subnet (/56 or /64) from that and feed it to the branch office over the VPN (and get rid of the tunnelbroker account).

And that's where I hit the limit of my knowledge :-) How do I squish the IPV6 subnet through the IPV4 VPN and unfold it neatly at the other end?

Thanks much!
Mike

xvo

Re: IPV6 to remote site over IPV4 VPN

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:41 pm

What type of VPN?

mcisar
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 am

Sorry for the long delay, have been out sick so I'm just catching back up.

I believe the VPN as currently set up is L2TP

Mike

mcisar
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 am

Just wanted to bump this.

I have been playing around on and off as I have time but still have not figured out how to get this configured.

Cheers!

Anumrak
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am

Just wanted to bump this.

I have been playing around on and off as I have time but still have not figured out how to get this configured.

Cheers!
It's all about simple routing. Set /126 or /64 net between offices through the tunnel from /48 prefix for example. Then, through that small ptp prefix you can route /56 prefixes to other side. On other side set a route to prefixes on the first side. It is static routing :)