Community discussions

MikroTik App

900mhzdude
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Can I connect a Edge Router as a Client to out Mikrotik VPN Server?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:03 pm

I only see an option to setup EdgeOS as a VPN Server

We have an off site office that dose not have a static IP for site to site VPN

is there a way to setup Edgerouter as a VPN client to connect to our VPN Server on a mikrotik?

We are currently doing L2TP on the mikrotik VPN Server see we are limited to 1 VPN connection from our remote office and want to get around this

we have some small mikrotiks too if we have to but we would like to do it on Edge router so we can save a config file for quick deployments on other routers

Something I really wish mikrotik would fix with backup config files but that's a different thread topic

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Can I connect a Edge Router as a Client to out Mikrotik VPN Server?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 pm

This is a RouterOS forum, not an EdgeOS forum - you'll need to go hassle the ubiquiti community - but to answer your question a quick google suggests that EdgeOS doesnt currently have a way to configure an L2TP / IPSec client connection (such an odd limitation). My honest suggestion would be replace the EdgeRouter with a Mikrotik router, given the forum we are on.

900mhzdude
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:13 pm

That's fine I have a mikrotik I can replace it with

Is it easy as clicking VPN client in the mikrotik and putting in the settings or am I missing something?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:17 pm

You'll need to know a few details but if you set up the server you should know those details. Look at the Wiki for guides on how to set up VPN clients. If its L2TP/IPSec you'll generally need:

IP
User
Password
IPSec Secret