Community discussions

MikroTik App

Uqbar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Old kernel. Why?

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 am

I see the current ROS is based upon a rather old Linux v3 kernel. More or less the same as Android.
I see a number of reasons for keeping an old kernel instead of jumping on a v4 one (v5 is next to be launched), and also a number of reasons for doing an upgrade.
For sure it gets more and more difficult to maintain that code and to backport important security patches.
Is there any official statement to support such a choice?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Old kernel. Why?

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 am

Plenty.

ROSv7's main hold up is developing to new kernel.

Major kernel's have major changes, especially from what ROS is currently based on to new, the whole networking stack has been re-worked (I believe), so requires a lot of re-development, re-testing etc to get it to feature parity (plus improvements) to current ROSv6.

Uqbar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:56 am

Plenty.
Do you have any link, or it is "word of mouth"?
ROSv7's main hold up is developing to new kernel.

Major kernel's have major changes, especially from what ROS is currently based on to new, the whole networking stack has been re-worked (I believe), so requires a lot of re-development, re-testing etc to get it to feature parity (plus improvements) to current ROSv6.
That's reasonable, as I said in the OP. What I understand from your words is that Mikrotik is tallying the resources currently needed for v3 lower than those for a v4/v5 upgrade. Interesting, indeed.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:19 pm

One of the issues is that Mikrotik wrote a lot of their own proprietary kernel modules, they likely aren't compatible with newer kernels. It's a shame as a lot of the included drivers with newer kernels are much higher quality than Mikrotik's implementations (eg the QCA driver supports Wave 2 802.11ac and 5 GHz spectral scan - things we have been waiting on for years with MT).

I really hope RouterOS v7 development is actually happening and it isn't just vaporware.

Uqbar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:36 pm

One of the issues is that Mikrotik wrote a lot of their own proprietary kernel modules, they likely aren't compatible with newer kernels. It's a shame as a lot of the included drivers with newer kernels are much higher quality than Mikrotik's implementations (eg the QCA driver supports Wave 2 802.11ac and 5 GHz spectral scan - things we have been waiting on for years with MT).

I really hope RouterOS v7 development is actually happening and it isn't just vaporware.
I think Mikrotik devs are really smart and knowledgeable. I trust they'll chose for the best for everyone.

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:55 pm

I hope they focus on developing their proprietary stuff in a way, so that kernel upgrades will be less of a hassle in the future like 4.x to 5.x