Community discussions

MikroTik App

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

DSL in USA, PPPoA, PPPoE, and RouterOS

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:15 am

There's been a handful of threads discussing the lack of PPPoA support in RouterOS - mostly from the American side of the pond, DSL users, grumbling about the lack of PPPoA support.

I can't say this will work with all DSL providers, since I only have one to test with, but I was able to get my Mikrotik RouterOS install to authenticate against Qwest, who most definitely uses PPPoA.

I have an Actiontec router, which... doesn't handle load well. Under heavy network traffic, I reboot it weekly to keep performance tolerable.

Doing some reading, it seems PPPoE and PPPoA are very similar - just over different mediums (ethernet vs ATM).

On a whim, I tried setting my DSL modem into "RFC 1483 Bridging Mode" - it basically makes the modem an ethernet to DSL adapter.

I set up a PPPoE client in my router, on the interface facing the DSL modem. I used the same PPPoA username/password the DSL modem had, and... IT WORKED!

I'm now running my network through my Mikrotik router, PPPoE authenticated to my DSL network via the DSL modem in bridging mode.

And, as a bonus, it seems to be bridging ethernet back to wireless. So I can separate the untrusted wireless side of my network from the secure wired side.

I don't know if this works across all DSL providers, but it certainly works on mine (posting through the link now). If a few other people could try this, it might be a solution for those of us looking to put a public IP on our Mikrotiks through a DSL connection.

-=Russ=-

Michal Cizek
just joined

Re: DSL in USA, PPPoA, PPPoE, and RouterOS

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:46 pm

Hello,

I tried it too and it works fine, but there is a problem with rebooting the DSL modem. If link is established and internet connections works fine through bridged DSL modem it is good, but if I try to reboot the DSL router (power supply fails whatever) pppoe client interface cant establish the link again. It works again only when I try to reboot the DSL model first and after I reboot the Mikrotik router.

Can you help me?

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:46 pm

I haven't seen that problem in the USA. When my modem gets rebooted, the connection restores cleanly when the DSL modem is back online.

Are you running the latest firmware on your DSL modem?

Also, turn on the PPPoE debugging logs - see what the errors when it can't reconnect are. It may shed some light on the situation.

-=Russ=-

UniKyrn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:42 am

One other difference between PPPoE and PPPoA is the frame size, ATM has a larger MTU than Ethernet. In practice though, since everything on your internal network is probably Ethernet, you wouldn't notice the difference.