MikroTik App

jmginer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Firmware upgrade?

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:30 am

Hello!

When we do a software update, the system marks the firmware as outdated. Is it always necessary to do a double reboot? or is it possible to update the software and firmware in the same reboot?

Thank you!

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Firmware upgrade?

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Usually I do the firmware upgrade first, since it waits for you to reboot, and then I do the software upgrade. Only after that I'll reboot the system. I never had any problems doing this, but I'm not sure if it is the correct way.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:24 pm

This is an unfortunate side effect of the new firmware version scheme. The firmware version always shows the same as RouterOS version now, even if there have been no changes between the previous firmware version. The only way to know for sure if there's really been an update is to read through changelog. I also worry that constant re-installation of the same firmware over and over will eventually wear out the NAND on the RouterBOOT partition, so it's best to update only if you need to.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Usually I do the firmware upgrade first, since it waits for you to reboot, and then I do the software upgrade. Only after that I'll reboot the system. I never had any problems doing this, but I'm not sure if it is the correct way.
How can you update firmware first and software later? Isn't firmware package part of software and is not available until after software is upgraded?