Community discussions

MikroTik App

icko81
Topic Author

IMPROVEMENTS IN MIKROTIK ROUTERS MUST HAVE 2018/19

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 am

Hi guys here are mine oppinion about Mikrotik future release and products for OS and what should they improve in their RB line immediately

1)First and foremost concerning addons packages

a)OPEN VPN PACKAGES community edition improvements versus UBUQUiTY ROUTERS which has all features

-lzo compression
-udp support
-username authentification none
-tls check
-graph monitoring and web site configure

EDGE ROUTERS HAS THIS ABBILITY

Make some agreement with OPEN VPN programmers or make new line of routerboard with hardware acceleration chip for OPEN VPN PROTOCOLS just like IPSEC protocols

b)UPS package support beside APC they should add other protocols like blazer EATON and other just like NUT package or make some collaboration with them so they can make UPS monitoring even further also add SNMP protocol inside basic router flash,
EDGE routers has the abillity to install NUT UPS monitor tools

c)DITCH L2TP/IPSEC PROTOCOL or make some improvements in terms of:

-problems with NAT which you must use separate address pool for user behind PUBLIC same IP ADDRESS
-cannot use PURE/IPSEC and l2TP parallel on one router problem and conflict with username and password ppp and ipsec
-use ceritfikates and preshared key parallel in IKEv2 and IPSEC conflict solution and more programming bug fixes
-develope and fix IKEV2 with username and password radius authentification

also developed their VPN own programs to connect to router on WINDOWS and MAC MACHINE must have which can help hassle and trouble

i down know about ANDROID and IOS devices but they work good with routers,

d)Make routers with at least 128 MB flash and give more seminars or MUM conference about using OPEN WRT or some other software for META ROUTERS

or some other Possibility for METAROUTERS development like ASTERISK VOIP or something beneficial stuff

e)Make agreement with some company which can support PROXY IDS IP FILTERING and ANTI VIRUS as option so the router and IDS platform can work in parallel

and make MUM about using IDS UTM together with the routers and finally ditch old HTTP proxy for basic filtering

f)]HARDWARE IMPROVEMENTS
-improve USB chip dc converters on some routerboard like LSP5523 which they burn when there is overvoltage ratio
-put flash card on every router to get benefits of METAROUTER or DUDE package
-make every router dual core chip at least 800MHZ
-improve USB transfer rate 3.0 in every router
-BETTER WIFI UNITS SPEED and DUAL BAND technology

g)Graphing software and ANALITICS in the ROUTEROS

-think they can make separate software for this like controller so users can have better understanding what is going on with users on the network
-insted of using WEBFIG web site
-make some android and ios application

UBQUITY HAS this feature

MORE SEMINARS ABOUT
-LOAD BALANCING HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE PCC balancing
-VOIP and MIKROTIK QOS
-USING mikrotik with other devices

Here you can write free every other improvement and also write about EDGE router what is actually worse or better in terms of routing protocols

HERE are mine oppinions what Mikrotik is best

1)They have their own PUBLIC DYN DNS
2)They have power redundancy
3)The have good scripts and are good at failover routers much easier to create and configure versus UBIQUITY or PFSENSE
4)They can be access as bridge layer 2 or layer IP protocol
5)CAPS MAN and winbox from one location in parallel
6)CHEAP QUALITY BOARDS and very fast booting
7)MANUALS FOR REPAIRING the ROUTERS AND WIFI POINTS

Regards
Last edited by icko81 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksteink
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: IMPROVEMENTS IN MIKROTIK ROUTERS MUST HAVE 2018/19

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 am

I agree with your proposed list and let me add my points:

(1) Support Switch physical stacking for access layers larger than 48 physical ports.
(2) Fix HW offload limited to one Bridge interface (i.e. CRS 3xx series) including LACP interfaces that are configured different than Active / Active with the same speed.
(3) Fix the way how to configure VLANs independently on what model of RB is used (same simple steps and let the RouterOS figure out and handle all the potential HW variations). Depending on the router model configuration commands will vary or worst case push everything through the router CPU instead of switching CPU (aside there are multiple Wiki pages outdated and with commands that doesn't long exist)
(4) Active / Active and Active / Passive configuration setup and not just VRRP (i.e. DHCP, VPN services, etc.) without the need to do custom or community made scripts.
(5) More switches and routers with 10 Gbps interfaces (Copper and Fiber SFP+) to become the new default.
(6) SD-WAN Capabilities via Central controller (similar to Unifi controller)
(7) Be able to manage centrally switches like WAPs using Capsman (or similar to Unifi controller)
(8) Suricata IDS / IPS integration and DPI for network traffic visibility (Similar to Meraki MX and Ubiquiti USG appliances)
(9) HW acceleration for encryption by default on all the devices (Routers, Switches, etc) for VPNs (IPSec, OVPN, SSTP).
(10) Why to have so many different HW families? ARM, MIPSBE, SMIPS, PPC, MMIPS and x86. These different processor achitectures increases the complexity of the code to maintain in RouterOS for each hardware family. Mikrotik should focus on 2 or 3 tops and push the envelop with new features.
(11) IPSec setup to support DDNS instead static IP addresses configuration.
(12) 1 GB of RAM minimum on all the devices and official support for other Images different than RouterOS.
(13) Expand API ecosystem to support other features just than Hotspot
(14) Zero touch provisioning with auto-dial up to predefined controller

I know that I will come with more items but let's use as starter.

icko81
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:25 am

I agree with your proposed list and let me add my points:

(1) Support Switch physical stacking for access layers larger than 48 physical ports.
(2) Fix HW offload limited to one Bridge interface (i.e. CRS 3xx series) including LACP interfaces that are configured different than Active / Active with the same speed.
(3) Fix the way how to configure VLANs independently on what model of RB is used (same simple steps and let the RouterOS figure out and handle all the potential HW variations). Depending on the router model configuration commands will vary or worst case push everything through the router CPU instead of switching CPU (aside there are multiple Wiki pages outdated and with commands that doesn't long exist)
(4) Active / Active and Active / Passive configuration setup and not just VRRP (i.e. DHCP, VPN services, etc.) without the need to do custom or community made scripts.
(5) More switches and routers with 10 Gbps interfaces (Copper and Fiber SFP+) to become the new default.
(6) SD-WAN Capabilities via Central controller (similar to Unifi controller)
(7) Be able to manage centrally switches like WAPs using Capsman (or similar to Unifi controller)
(8) Suricata IDS / IPS integration and DPI for network traffic visibility (Similar to Meraki MX and Ubiquiti USG appliances)
(9) HW acceleration for encryption by default on all the devices (Routers, Switches, etc) for VPNs (IPSec, OVPN, SSTP).
(10) Why to have so many different HW families? ARM, MIPSBE, SMIPS, PPC, MMIPS and x86. These different processor achitectures increases the complexity of the code to maintain in RouterOS for each hardware family. Mikrotik should focus on 2 or 3 tops and push the envelop with new features.
(11) IPSec setup to support DDNS instead static IP addresses configuration.
(12) 1 GB of RAM minimum on all the devices and official support for other Images different than RouterOS.
(13) Expand API ecosystem to support other features just than Hotspot
(14) Zero touch provisioning with auto-dial up to predefined controller

I know that I will come with more items but let's use as starter.

Correct this can be very frustrating when downloading files directly to via lan at maximum speed for one CPU core very frustrating no way to lower CPU i think HEX series are much better with these scenarios

SD-WAN Capabilities

THey are working hard with CAPS MAN

Concerning HOTSPOT they should make better ZEN enviroment i have seen many MIKROTIK HOTPSPOT ROUTERS giving terrible speed because the user beside HOSPOT they cannot or dont have knolwedge to shape speed or limit per user not just quita also by priority when user are surfing the net

HOTSPOT on SINGLE CORE Is not good option so they should prevent or MAKE MUM SEMINARS ABOUT HOTSPOT BALANCING AND MANAGING USERS as they should make administration to not overload WAN LINK

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:19 am

1. Fix VLAN creation. Should be a simpler and automatic command set between the different hardware architectures.
  2. Make a true 8-port router/switch combo (a cross between RB4011 and CRS3xx).

ianngrh

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 am

Please add automatic bandwidth share option to multiple user login of same user in "hotspot and radius" feature.
It should be perfect

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 am

Why start a new general request thread when we do have one here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45934

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Some providers are already giving you 10G broadband for $50 per month (including 250+ TV channels and free domestic calls).

So 7G as the top consumer router shifted from being too much to not enough.

And it still needs at least two 10G ports.