Community discussions

MikroTik App

fs910175
just joined
Topic Author

the problem about that extending the port of router

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:32 pm

hello everyone,
i have RB1100(router) and CSS326(switch).
RB1100 have 13 port, but it's not enough to use.
So I hope to extend the router's port through switch.
I need 24 port to do PPPoE.

My English is pretty limited, please don't mind...

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: the problem about that extending the port of router

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:33 am

Hi

take one of the switch groups of 1100 and connect it to switch => you'll get 4 (5p-1p for connection to switch) + 23 (24p -1p conn) = 27p total

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:33 am

The only Mikrotik switch I remember, with 24 ports and POE, is the CRS328. You will get 24 gigabit ports and 4 SFP+ cages.

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs328_24p_4s_rm

It have some problems with SWoS 2.8, so You will want to run it with RoS. Other than that, it's working fine for me.

fs910175
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi

take one of the switch groups of 1100 and connect it to switch => you'll get 4 (5p-1p for connection to switch) + 23 (24p -1p conn) = 27p total
Thank you for your reply.

But I don't know how to connect pppoe through the switch port.
I tried setting vlan and bridge but still couldn't connect successfully.
Maybe I have a mistake in my settings.
The only Mikrotik switch I remember, with 24 ports and POE, is the CRS328. You will get 24 gigabit ports and 4 SFP+ cages.

It have some problems with SWoS 2.8, so You will want to run it with RoS. Other than that, it's working fine for me.
Thank you for the information, but the seller told me that CSS326 can also achieve my purpose.
I hope to complete with the existing device settings.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Thank you for the information, but the seller told me that CSS326 can also achieve my purpose.
Well, the CRS328 has PoE out at each gigabit port. That was what You wanted, right? A switch to power up to 24 PoE devices? If it is the other way around (a gigabit switch, to be powered by PoE), then the CSS326 will fit. In fact, if you want to power the switch through PoE, the CRS328 will not work: it only has PoE OUT, not in.

fs910175
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Well, the CRS328 has PoE out at each gigabit port. That was what You wanted, right? A switch to power up to 24 PoE devices? If it is the other way around (a gigabit switch, to be powered by PoE), then the CSS326 will fit. In fact, if you want to power the switch through PoE, the CRS328 will not work: it only has PoE OUT, not in.
Sorry, I didn't notice that you are referring to PoE. What I need is to extend the Router's Port through the Switch for PPPoE connection. Not PoE, sorry :lol:

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice that you are referring to PoE. What I need is to extend the Router's Port through the Switch for PPPoE connection. Not PoE, sorry :lol:
I just re read the original post: sorry about the confusion - I read "POE", instead of "PPPoE". :D

Aron688
just joined

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:01 am

the CSS326 switch has 24 ports and POE, you can use them for PPPoE. Then the only thing you need to do is connecting the switch to the router through its SFP+ port. This 1000BASE-T SFP copper transceiver can help you do that https://www.fs.com/products/75322.html

Melody5781

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

But I don't know how to connect pppoe through the switch port.
I tried setting vlan and bridge but still couldn't connect successfully.
Maybe I have a mistake in my settings.

Typically, configure PPPoE on Ethernet contains the following procedures:

•Configuring PPPoE on Ethernet in a BBA Group (required)

•Limiting PPPoE Sessions from a MAC Address (optional)

•Creating and Configuring a Virtual Template (optional)

Configuring PPPoE on Ethernet in a BBA Group
Perform this task to configure the physical interface that will carry the PPPoE session in the broadband access (BBA) groups and link it to the appropriate virtual template interface.