Community discussions

MikroTik App

DirectWireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dual radio link automatic failover

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:05 pm

I have 2 radio links (5g-turbo) connecting 2 buildings together, 4 antennas in total. Both are Atheros mPCI cards. I'm currently using one link and until channel bonding becomes a reality it will be my limit for now. But I would like to be able to use a script to automatically activate the secondary link in the event of the failure of the first one.

My IP's for the first link are 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2. I'm using static routing (not bridging) to get from network 1 to network 2. I had set the link 2 to be 192.168.11.1 & 11.2, but the problem I ran into was the time delay between link failure and rerouting. This link runs the phone system trunks between the buildings.

Thanks

edzix

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:39 am

Note that you will be able to bond only ethernet and EoIP interfaces not wireless. Use Nstream protocol for wireless interfaces.

The script itself will look very simple, you just have to know what youa are willing to change when the first link goes down. And from the script just chanage the necessary conditions (enabled/disabled) for, for example IP address or some route. See the scripting examples, they may help you:
http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.8/ap ... 1.frameset

Edgars