MikroTik App

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Continued hap ac2 memory and upgrade/package problems

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:32 am

Good morning,

I have continued package upgrade problems with hap ac2 which I believe are memory/flash issues.
- I had already earlier issues with that 6.3xx(?) package which had flash memory leakage issues. Went only away with Netinstall
Since then I hoped this would have been gone.
- But it continues to occur every couple of OS upgrades again (on my development hap-ac2 device I always keep latest OS version).
- this time it is also impossible to remove/uninstall additional packages (Dude etc.) nor to erase the EXT-USB folder in FILES
This ext-USB Folder was on an ext. USB stick and not on the internal FLASH (it had hotspot user manager data base).
(I already screwed 2 USB sticks earlier with hap ac2, which became suddenly completely unreadable and could not recover them in any way!).

Below is screen shot after:
- full system reset via WINBOX (no backup), no other configuration afterwards, just accepting default.
- try to delete EXT-USB folder (it goes away and comes back couple of minutes later)
- ask to uninstall DUDE etc. and do reboot, no success
- ask device to upgrade to latest version 6.43.4 and reboot, no success.

I know net install is the solution to most of this (and this is what I will do again here) but I am getting tired
of this approach and I have couple of other hap ac2 too which I don't want to net install every time
they show similar problems (mainly upgrade failing, when freeing up FLASH space often helped me in the past to make it work).

Thanks in advance for your advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jadu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Continued hap ac2 memory and upgrade/package problems

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 pm

I have the same issue here. Got tired of Netinstall... Is there a solution here? No answer from 2018?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Continued hap ac2 memory and upgrade/package problems

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Looking at OP's screenshots I'd say that reason for his device not wanting to upgrade is package hotspot which seems to be installed twice - once as part of basic bundle and the other time as extra package. Upgrade procedure seems to not be able to deal with such installations. Way out is indeed netinstall (because it wipes off flash), but then one should be careful not to install same package again.

The other issue (external USB disks dying) could be related to heat issues: hAP ac2 runs pretty hot and according to my experience it does push quite some heat to USB device. I'd expect that quote a few cheap USB stick don't like that kind of temperature ... I have an USB stick with metallic enclosure plugged in and it is pretty warm to touch (I estimate enclosure temperature to exceed 50°C).